who uses an acclimation box to introduce new fish?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you buy a new fish, do you use an acclimation box to limit aggression from established fishes? how long do you keep them in the acclimation box? what's the longest you've had the new fish in the acclimation box?

I recently brought home a very nice Male Laboutei that I got from a LFS (got an awesome deal.. trade + cash). my main concern is his size compared to my Lineatus. he's in between size of the male Lineatus. I have had him in the box for almost 2 days. I don't see any aggression from the Lineatus but the Hooded (who is much smaller) flashes the Laboutei every time he sees him. Laboutei don't pay too much attention to him though. I'm sure he'll be able to handle the Hooded. anyway, let's hear your experiences with the box. :)

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using one for a couple of years now. It's by far, the best way to introduce a new fish to your tank.
As far as how long, It all depends on the tankmates. If your hooded is still showing aggression, keep him in a bit longer. But I would guess the labouts will be able to handle the hooded.

024-7.jpg

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you guys get these acclimation boxes? Seem like a good idea since my lyretail terrorize anything new for 2-3 days

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brad. :)

hey, I just saw you on vid. can you take some pics of the Rosefascia while you're at it? I haven't seen a pic of him in a while. btw, how are your Laboutei's doing? 2 females staying females?

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was made by a friend, but you can buy them here and I've heard nothing but good reviews of them.

4CORAL.COM

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just saw me taking pictures? on my live camera right? LOL thats funny.
My rosefascia is doing well, and my Labouts are growing like weeds. Not 2 females but a pair. I'll get some new pix of them shortly , going to a birthday brunch right now and I'll be back in a few.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just saw me taking pictures? on my live camera right? LOL thats funny.
My rosefascia is doing well, and my Labouts are growing like weeds. Not 2 females but a pair. I'll get some new pix of them shortly , going to a birthday brunch right now and I'll be back in a few.
sounds good man. Thanks. :)

I thought for some reason, you have a trio of Laboutei's :confused:

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of rhomboids, and a pair of Labout's
Here is a recent pic of one of the labouts and a recent one of my big guy. Someone took a piece of his tail awhile back.

012-26.jpg

025-10.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so tempted to get a Rosefascia but I know they are aggressive. who's the boss on your F&F wrasses?

anyone else uses an acclimation box?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you guys get these from??? I would like to have one but never seen it for sale anywhere....

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the same one from 4coral.com, works great. Will be using them to introduce my Johnsoni pair this Friday :) :) :)

In the past, it helped me using it for the Labouti's sake. The flame kept poking at him for a few hours while he was in there, but he never poked towards the Filamented which was also in the box. After he calmed down and left him alone, I let him out. The flame harassed him for a day or so, but nothing terrible. They swim together now.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look awesome!! If I had enough room to add more fish instead of just one, I would have one. May get one just incase.....

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't see why not. These boxes aren't wrasse specific :) hehe

I'd just buy a bigger one really.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't see why not. These boxes aren't wrasse specific :) hehe

I'd just buy a bigger one really.
+1. should work for any fish as long as the box is big enough. :)

anyway, the Laboutei is due to be released tonight. I don't see any aggression anymore. the Lineatus didn't really mind him being around, though in the box. I didn't see him flare or flash at him at all. we'll see tonight. Laboutei is doing fine and eating pretty well. :)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great Marvin...lets see a pic? Or did you put one up somewhere else?

I'm trying to get Pacific Island to get me a female Laboutei. Do you think that I could do a larger female since my male is fairly small and young? Think she would beat up on him?

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great Marvin...lets see a pic? Or did you put one up somewhere else?

I'm trying to get Pacific Island to get me a female Laboutei. Do you think that I could do a larger female since my male is fairly small and young? Think she would beat up on him?
call me crazy but I experimented with 3 male Lineatus last year. the two terminal males went at it after a few weeks and I had to take out the other one. I've had the two remaining males for over a year now and they have come to an agreement that as long as they have their distance from each other, they're happy. of course, there's still the occasional chasing around of the terminal male if the smaller male gets too close. the thing that I had going on though was I added them all at the same time. I know you've had your Laboutei for a few weeks. I'm just scared that it has settled already. I honestly dunno man. hope the Pacific will get another shipment with smaller females for yah. good luck man and I'm happy for yah for pickin' up the Johnsoni's. :) :) :)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so tempted to get a Rosefascia but I know they are aggressive. who's the boss on your F&F wrasses?

anyone else uses an acclimation box?

Hey Marvin! I use an acclimation box as well and release the new fish when the aggression behavior subsides in the display which is usually just 2-3 days.

I had a big male Rosefacia and it was the meanest of all my wrasses. I actually removed a pair of them because of the attitude. After they were gone, the Rhomboids took over and they are gone too ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back