Who uses feeder fish?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
4,703
Reaction score
1,040
Location
North Kingstown, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a little niger trigger, still too small for feeders, but just big enough to eat a large mysis. How many of you guys feed feeder fish, and what do you feed? When he gets big, I would like to see him hunt a little, maybe a once or twice a week treat. I have seen them eat feeders before, and they werent goldfish (too messy anyways) but some skinny whitish fish. The triggers in that tank seemed to really like feeders compared to mysis or frozen.
 
when I had my black volitan lion I fed him jewel cichlids.
I hated throwing feeder fish in and they die in a little wile because of the salt. so I started breeding jewel cichlids switched them to salt and they did great. that way if the lion missed one it would be fine until he could get it.
 
i buy grass shrim off ebay there already salt water acclimated and my trigger would go crazy for them
 
I've kept Niger Triggers for years, never found a need for feeders. Glass shrimp would be my choice if you had to feed him something live. PE Mysis is an awesome alternative, these fish will eat just about any "food". No sense encouraging aggression with the live food, it may make your other fish seem like a potential food source.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new