Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to start replacing my RW-8's as they are failing after 3-5yrs of service (not complaining as they are LOW $$).

I need a "in tank" powerhead as I dont have any space around the outside of the tank to do a MP (dry side).

The new AI Nero 5 looks promising and relatively compact. I should be able to go from 4x RW-8 to 2x Nero's.

Anyone have these in tank yet?

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one yet either but want to tag along. Hopefully someone can do a review and provide some video.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my 525.

Pretty impressed with them, small, silent and push the water really well.

Pulse mode 80% anti sync

Random mode minimum 45%, maximum 75%, antisync

They replaced my xf250 gyres, which had previously replaced my mp40s

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really easy to programme, just a case of dragging what modes you want into the time window, and them stretching and minimising to set when to run it and a slider for the %

I ran my mp40s at 60% when I had them, the gyres at 20% and now run the Nero's at 75%, although I am thinking of dropping the flow a bit.

I can't see any deadspots in the tank with the Nero's, they seem to have a slightly wider flow output than the mp40s

Screenshot_20181001-031013.jpg

Screenshot_20181001-031004.jpg

Screenshot_20181001-031221.jpg

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently deciding between getting a maxspect gyre vs the AI Nero 5 for my 120g. What are your thoughts between those two since you had both. Why did you switch away from the gyre?

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good pumps.

The main things that drew me to the Nero from the gyres are.

The Nero is better looking and doesn't take up much space.

Nero is easier to clean

Nero can be controlled from a smart phone right out the box.

The gyre has some serious flow, but I found its performance dropped quite a lot as it became dirty. While the gyre isn't as hard to clean as some make out, the Nero is a lot quicker and easier to clean

Last edited:

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would really like is gentle flow through the entire tank. My tank is all LPS so I am not looking to blast anything. Cant figure out what is best for me.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off. That torch is massive!

That looks like exactly what I’d like. Did you have it set so they cycled on and off every 10 sec or so to get that back and forth flow? (If you remember the settings)

I’d like my torch’s to kinda do that back and forth wave slowly like that. Right now they are getting whipped around too much.

To follow that up. Do you think your Nero 5 gets a similar back and forth wave like that? No torch in your new videos to really see it.

If the Nero can do it then easier / lower maintenance is ideal.

My tank is pretty much all euphyllia and acan lords.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it so one ramped up in forward flow while the other ramped down to reverse

received_10156051660528698.jpeg

Hard to say if the Nero would get the same movement as the gyre, I zoomed into my baby torch, not really a direct comparison I know lol

Here's a couple of videos I've just taken of the LPS movement with the Neros.

The pulse mode I have setup is basically wave mode with the minimum on off time possible. I'll set it up tomorrow with an on time of 10 seconds and an off time of 10 seconds in antisync. It would probably match the gyre settings I used more closely

Pulse mode

Random flow

Last edited:

reefmutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I’m considering changing my 2 gyre 150s with 2 Nero 5s. I run them on either end of my 5 ft 250g tank. Sps heavy.. The gyres are probably on about 70%. Alternating flow.
Do you think the Neros would provide the same water movement as the gyres? Through sps branches?
Also, how is the noise? We all know the whining sound gyres can make. Do the neros make any significant noise?
Thanks!

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neros are silent, even standing next to the tank I can't hear them.

While my gyre 250s where not noisy as such, the whine you mention did used to annoy me as it ramped up.

I've not really seen any downsides to swapping the gyres for the Nero's. Water flow is wide and the few sps i have seem to get decent polyp movement, I've got a few different settings on my schedule, but my main one on the 525 is anti sync pulse, one runs for 8 seconds at 75% while the other runs at minimum power for 7 seconds

Seems to give decent movement

reefmutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neros are silent, even standing next to the tank I can't hear them.

While my gyre 250s where not noisy as such, the whine you mention did used to annoy me as it ramped up.

I've not really seen any downsides to swapping the gyres for the Nero's. Water flow is wide and the few sps i have seem to get decent polyp movement, I've got a few different settings on my schedule, but my main one on the 525 is anti sync pulse, one runs for 8 seconds at 75% while the other runs at minimum power for 7 seconds

Seems to give decent movement
Thanks very much. Exactly what I wanted to know. I would probably use the neros in anti sync mode for most of the time as well.
Looking at the specs, the neros seem to be about as deep as the gyres. But certainly not deeper and not as long so technically they will cast a smaller shadow than the gyres..
Thanks again.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently deciding between getting a maxspect gyre vs the AI Nero 5 for my 120g. What are your thoughts between those two since you had both. Why did you switch away from the gyre?

I love the Gyre but have not tried the Nero 5 pump yet. By far my favorite pump so far.
Nice wide flow pattern.

I think one Nero 5 might be two small for a 120 depending on what other circulation pumps you have and what you keep. It does look pretty good on Adams video. A little light on the ends but pretty good where flow from both pumps comes together in the middle. That tank is almost 5' long though isn't it so it is longer?

I was thinking of trying one against my gyre's.

Last edited:

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put one in my Red Sea Reefer 250 and it’s not tall enough it sucked air like a mother. I had to swap it with my buddy for an MP40WQD. The wire didn’t bother me at all. Tank is just too shallow in height.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEM AND NOTHING BUT POSITIVE RESPONSE,,,,,, BUT ONE WARNING/CONCERN:
If you have thick glass (3/4" ,5/8"), they will vibrate themselves off the glass and fall. If Ai makes a stronger magnet - I'm interested in a set of 4

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back