Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEM AND NOTHING BUT POSITIVE RESPONSE,,,,,, BUT ONE WARNING/CONCERN:
If you have thick glass (3/4" ,5/8"), they will vibrate themselves off the glass and fall. If Ai makes a stronger magnet - I'm interested in a set of 4
Ooh! Good to know. Deal breaker for many.

Blackfish823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the Nero 5 as well. I have a Reefer 170, will this be too much for that size tank? My goal would be SPS dominant tank.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a Gyre and it is amazing. I went the cheap route and nabbed a Jebao one. It has been amazing.

I too have the jecod/jebao cp25 and it out preforms my mp10 no problem. The gyre has been in my tank for over a year and has never needed to be cleaned. I would recommend a gyre type wavemaker over any other type any day. I've not had any noise from the gyre except when it first went in and then after a few days it was silent and has remained that way.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the Nero 5 as well. I have a Reefer 170, will this be too much for that size tank? My goal would be SPS dominant tank.
Too Much, no. You can easily adjust it whatever amount of flow you want. I have one on my small 12G frag tank dialed all the way down.
You would also easily be able to ramp it up as the corals grow and block flow to the neighboring corals.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, what's the best way to clean up this (any) pump? and how often?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my 525.

Pretty impressed with them, small, silent and push the water really well.

Pulse mode 80% anti sync

Random mode minimum 45%, maximum 75%, antisync

They replaced my xf250 gyres, which had previously replaced my mp40s

@adams901 - 1ST, WHAT TYPE OF RETURN PUMP DO YOU RUN? Many thanks for sharing your opinion mate on the new Nero5 AI powerhead pucks! I am a big fan of some of the AI products. I am trying to decide myself if I should go with either a pair of the new Nero5's or 2 EcoTech 40QPWD powerheads or should i stick to what I always have ran the #TUNZE controable pumps but since i run 3 Hydra HD's Light Fixtures on my SCA 150, I am thinking about going with all AI!!! . What i like about the NERO5's is the fact that it integrates well in the AI APP and the fact i will be able to control all 3 of my Hydra HD fixtures and my powerheads from anywhere in the world is pretty priceless. Or should I go with the 2 EcoTech 40QPWD powerheads, SINCE i run two Vectra M1's return pumps for each return on my system. Each M1 pushes out 2000gph per return and I have a 20'' Synery External Overflow box which runs 3 1.5inch drains and the returns are 1''. As far as the Reef Octo Pulse 4 powerhead pumps, I dont know much about them but what i DO now is there Reef Octo Pumps are pretty solid since i run a Reef Octo4 on my saltwater mixing station. If you own any of these power head I have listed below, i would love to hear your thoguths and opinions on what pair of pumps I should install in my new SCA150 Rimless system. Ones i GET ALL of my gear i WILL be doing another tank build for the new SCA 150...

TUNZE 6105's. (700 - 3400) $299.00
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 6.04.25 AM.png

EcoTech Vortech MP40QD (4,500+ GPH) $310.00
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 7.09.11 AM.png

Aqua Illumation - Nero 5's (3000gph) $299.00
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 6.20.35 AM.png

Reef Octo Pulse4 - (4500gph) / Recommended Tank Size -
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 6.41.20 AM.png

Last edited:

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I run a tmc reef pump 8000, not sure if it's available in the states.

I used to own mp40s but swapped them out for gyres, then swapped the gryres for Nero's.

MP40s are good wavemakers, and are more powerful than the Nero's, but as i mentioned on another thread, unless you plan on running them on full power it's not really something that should count in the decision making.

The mp40s dont have a wire in the tank which is a bonus, but the Nero's are a lot less noticeable and you don't have a big chunky motor stuck to the outside of the tank.

Both are easy to clean, with the Nero just a little bit easier.

Both are quiet, but I used to hear the mp40s at higher levels and certainly on NTM mode, Nero's are silent on all modes and all power levels, but I wouldn't rule the mp40s out on this as it isn't "noisy"

If you don't own a reef link you will be restricted, while you can control the mp40s from the controller, a lot of the options are not there.

Neros you can program from a smart phone app out of the box.

Neros can be angled slightly, while it isn't much, it's enough to make a difference.

I don't regret getting the Nero's, if they weren't out I would have probably eventually gone back to mp40s, but from what I have experienced I would say Nero's are better than the vortechs, in every way (with the exception of a wire being in the tank),

At the end of the day you won't go wrong with either pump.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my Tank is 12mm thick AND tunze MAGNETS are the strongest on the planet i am going to go with a pair of TUNZE 6105's for $299.00ea. My opinion, they are the best bang for your buck and they are a lot more quite than your Vortech MP40S!
I own a pair of TUNZE 6055 Nano streams that i have owned for over 3 years and they work like the day I bought them.

TUNZE 6105's
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 6.04.25 AM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They have Great reviews and I know a couple of aquarists who have them.....the one drawback is aquariums with thick glass. They practically fall off the glass after 20+ Percent power . The magnets need to be stronger or a version with stronger magnets developed.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neros are silent, even standing next to the tank I can't hear them.

While my gyre 250s where not noisy as such, the whine you mention did used to annoy me as it ramped up.

I've not really seen any downsides to swapping the gyres for the Nero's. Water flow is wide and the few sps i have seem to get decent polyp movement, I've got a few different settings on my schedule, but my main one on the 525 is anti sync pulse, one runs for 8 seconds at 75% while the other runs at minimum power for 7 seconds

Seems to give decent movement
Hi. Thanks for all the info and videos. I'm just starting an SCA 120. I have an MP10 on one side and bought a Nero 5 for the other side. I'm not getting the settings? What is ''anti sync?" I don't see that, but perhaps that is if you have two Nero 5's? Looking at your schedule it looks like you have random most of the day and then pulse at night? Also, did yours have a break in period? Mine gurgles and spurts air every ten minutes or so, and has been doing this since last night when I set it up. Thanks for the help/advice.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anti sync is for 2 Nero's.

I changed my settings a while back to those shown in the photo.

Mine sucks air down if I have it close to the surface at a certain angle. Try moving them down a bit.

With one Nero I would probably keep it on random, with 2 pulse periods of pulse mode thought the day. When setup in s certain way (on time and off time set to the lowest setting) the pulse mode acts the same as nutrient transport mode on the vortechs.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Thanks for all the info and videos. I'm just starting an SCA 120. I have an MP10 on one side and bought a Nero 5 for the other side. I'm not getting the settings? What is ''anti sync?" I don't see that, but perhaps that is if you have two Nero 5's? Looking at your schedule it looks like you have random most of the day and then pulse at night? Also, did yours have a break in period? Mine gurgles and spurts air every ten minutes or so, and has been doing this since last night when I set it up. Thanks for the help/advice.

Mine sucks air down if I have it close to the surface at a certain angle. Try moving them down a bit.

With one Nero I would probably keep it on random, with 2 pulse periods of pulse mode thought the day. When setup in s certain way (on time and off time set to the lowest setting) the pulse mode acts the same as nutrient transport mode on the vortechs.

Screenshot_20190105_145808_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190105_145757_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great review I have one nero 5 now and ordered another one the other day the price is significant and it sucks I can’t hook it up to a battery back up . I lost power for five hours yesterday the first time in two years . At least I was home but I have to look into this more going forward .

I think the magnet could be stronger but as it is with my 10 mm class it’s holding up just fine I could see a snail running into it and moving the head in a different direction . But possibly not knocking it off .

So when you say anti-sync that means ones on and ones off and I’ll go back-and-forth ?

Interesting yesterday my purple tang got stuck to the back of it I do believe he’s weak because he only eats Nori and nothing else . I’m hoping by turning on and off if any fish gets sucked behind it they will be released .

Mine on 70% or more has a loud hum to it. I did send a clip to AI and they are replacing it. So I guess mine is defective?

Here’s a clip. Yours get that loud?

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review I have one nero 5 now and ordered another one the other day the price is significant and it sucks I can’t hook it up to a battery back up . I lost power for five hours yesterday the first time in two years . At least I was home but I have to look into this more going forward .

I think the magnet could be stronger but as it is with my 10 mm class it’s holding up just fine I could see a snail running into it and moving the head in a different direction . But possibly not knocking it off .

So when you say anti-sync that means ones on and ones off and I’ll go back-and-forth ?

Interesting yesterday my purple tang got stuck to the back of it I do believe he’s weak because he only eats Nori and nothing else . I’m hoping by turning on and off if any fish gets sucked behind it they will be released .

Mine on 70% or more has a loud hum to it. I did send a clip to AI and they are replacing it. So I guess mine is defective?

Here’s a clip. Yours get that loud?

Yes anti sync is basically one pump doing the opposite to the other, as one pump ramps up the other will ramp down. This can be setup on the child pump, and for some reason the setting is called phase (set to 160)

The only time I can hear my pumps are if they are running at around 80% and I have my head in the cabinet lol, even then it's a faint humming.

Standing next to the tank I can't hear anything.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome thanks man! It's not very close to the surface, and it's not as bad but still doing it. Will try moving it down a bit and see what happens. I like it though just hope this gurgling thing stops. Might try to sell the MP10 and get another Nero. I had Gyres on my last tanks and they would get so dirty and noisy I decided on these for my new tank and glad I did despite it might be defective. Thanks for the settings gonna try them out now!

Back