Who's Refractometer to buy & why ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of question's, so please bare with me and try to answer all the questions please !

Who's is the most accurate ?
Who's do you like and why ?
Which ones are made for the hobby ?
Why do some have calibration fluid and others just need R/0 water ?
Who's is easier to read ?
Is cost between different company's a major factor in quality and accuracy ?

We like our home temperature pretty cool, both winter and summer, so even if the model has ATO,
Will our cool home cause a calibration and accurate reeding issue ?

Please learn me !

Thanks,
Kevin

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea it is calibrated for seawater and easy to read.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I have is to just get one and always use a calibrated solution to test before testing the water sample. It's amazing how much they shift. Even the supposed temperature correcting ones.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I much prefer conductivity meters to refractometers. I use the pinpoint. Easy to use, easy to read, and it's more accurate than a refractometer. I use the pinpoint salinity (conductivity) meter to measure both salinity and kalkwasser strength. I'll never go back to hydrometers/refractometers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I like conductivity meters more, and they have other uses refractometers cannot serve, such as measuring limewater (kalkwasser) potency that you mention or tracking acclimation in real time. :)

Unless it states that it is a true seawater refractometer, always use a seawater standard for calibration, and even if it is a true seawater refractometer, using such a standard (if properly made) can never give incorrect calibration (although with the Milwaukee Digital it simply prevents you from using anything other than pure fresh water.

Last edited:

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand do you like, Randy? Just curious what a chemist uses instead of my hobbiest grade pinpoint. :)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand do you like, Randy? Just curious what a chemist uses instead of my hobbiest grade pinpoint. :)

Randy, I need to finish the long article you wrote on "Reef Keeping" about using Refractometer's to test our reef tanks and it sounds like you recommend using RO water for the calibration.

I bought a small reef setup from a guy which included a Refractometer, from what I believe,.....is a Bulk Reef Supply ?
On top it says, ATO which I know what that means, but I don't see a manufactures name on it or in the instructions.

I do trust your word on chemistry and probably all products, but I did hear that the "Pinpoint Monitors" are a piece of crap and not,...accurate. Is the true or do you really like them VS all other
types and brands of checking salinity ?

I'm getting very tired, of buying equipment in this wonderful hobby, that either are junk or are inaccurate !

(I'm buying a THIRD,.....nano skimmer for my wife's 29g cube)

Anyway, Please,..... let me know what you suggest and I'll buy it. (no,....pressure) ! lol,.....::xd:

Here's Randy's article everyone-

The Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I need to finish the long article you wrote on "Reef Keeping" about using Refractometer's to test our reef tanks and it sounds like you recommend using RO water for the calibration.

No, I recommend a seawater standard. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do trust your word on chemistry and probably all products, but I did hear that the "Pinpoint Monitors" are a piece of crap and not,...accurate. Is the true or do you really like them VS all other
types and brands of checking salinity ?

Talking about just the Pinpoint "salinity monitor", I have one and I've never needed to calibrate it because any time I've checked it in a standard, it is adequately close. It responds more slowly to the temperature change from basement air to tank temp, so i have to wait longer, compared to my very expensive Orion model 128, but the Pinpoint has served me well. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back