Why am I ditching the Neptune Trident

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, can you pay someone in the US to buy it for you and ship it to you? I only dabble in light treason, so I'm out of my element here.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expand on your experience?
I also live in Europe, and I don't know what to choose between GHL and Neptune.

The hardware point:
I keep hearing GHL has better hardware, whereas Neptune hardware is more likely to fail (EB832 is often brought as an example).
The Apex is more expensive here in Europe, so that I'd be buying "not as good hardware" for a higher price, if I bought the Apex.

The support point:
The internet presence of the Apex user base is much better, and it seems like if I couldn't do something with the Apex, I'd be getting tons of help across the forums. Plus, many tutorials on YouTube.

Anyone with more insight on this?
I can gladly elaborate on this but would rather do it via PM, otherwise the whole thread will become GHL vs Neptune with lovers and hater on both sides. I initially had the same doubts you had and that is why I went with GHL.

Jrhunter0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's mention how cheaply it's made. Front door breaks and falls off easily, lines clog up frequently...
I love my apex but Neptune has taken a turn for the worse look at the poor quality of then cor pumps and the atk.

I'm sure it's only to get worse at Terrance is no longer with the company. He was the only backbone they had between customers and developers

Jrhunter0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot that I also have 2 COR 20 running without issue.

Do you have auto tester install vs warranty numbers? People are more likely to complain than compliment on the internet.
My cors power supply went out a week after install. opened a ticket and read online its a common issue.

As far as the ATK i mean it always over pumped. Had the line running high to prevent siphon and still did it.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's mention how cheaply it's made. Front door breaks and falls off easily, lines clog up frequently...
I love my apex but Neptune has taken a turn for the worse look at the poor quality of then cor pumps and the atk.

I'm sure it's only to get worse at Terrance is no longer with the company. He was the only backbone they had between customers and developers
Oh, I didn't realize he'd left. Any idea why?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, can you pay someone in the US to buy it for you and ship it to you? I only dabble in light treason, so I'm out of my element here.
Good idea but unfortunately that would not work either. The cost of the reagent plus shipping costs would be high for a single box of reagent. So you would need to order several to dilute those costs. However, the larger the volume the higher the chance of it being caught in customs where they would apply import duties (about 10% over the cost of the merchandize) and VAT, which would be 23% over the cost of the product + transport cost + Import duties. I am guessing this is the reason in the first place why the reagents are so much more expensive to begin with.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea but unfortunately that would not work either. The cost of the reagent plus shipping costs would be high for a single box of reagent. So you would need to order several to dilute those costs. However, the larger the volume the higher the chance of it being caught in customs where they would apply import duties (about 10% over the cost of the merchandize) and VAT, which would be 23% over the cost of the product + transport cost + Import duties. I am guessing this is the reason in the first place why the reagents are so much more expensive to begin with.

What if I die every month and bequeath it to you? LOL

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe leaving the hobby is too harsh but I would rather run a tank with no controller than having to live with GHL. I am now running the Alkatronic+Dosetronic+Mastertronic and I am extremely happy with the results, especially the Alkatronic+Dosetronic Combo. However, I will say that they are noisy. Much noisier than the Trident which is barely inaudible when inside the cabinet.

let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Neptune controller. I have been using it for the past three years after an appalling experience with GHL that lasted another three years. I can honestly say that if I was faced with the choice of leaving the hobby vs being forced to use GHL again I would gladly leave the hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back