Why am I ditching the Neptune Trident

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Neptune controller. I have been using it for the past three years after an appalling experience with GHL that lasted another three years. I can honestly say that if I was faced with the choice of leaving the hobby vs being forced to use GHL again I would gladly leave the hobby. But this is for another thread. Why am I ditching the Trident than? In one word, stubbornness. In two words, Reagent Cost. let me break it down:

- I live in Europe where a 2 month reagent kit costs 60$ and a 6 month kit 200$!!! That means that in order to test Alk a minimum of 6x a day (the recommended minimum to use Trident Controlled dosing) I need to shell out at least 600$ per year in reagents alone. I have done it but enough is enough. Time to buy the Alkatronic+dosetronic package

- Why stubbornness? Well, I understand that you need to test Ca=Mg a min of 2x a day but what could easily be fixed would be to allow you to increase Alk dosing without increasing Ca and Mg dosing. So for example I could test 12x a day Alk, but still keep testing only 2x a day Ca and Mg. Although this would not completely fix the issue, it would make it easier to swallow. The second point is that Neptune could simply start making reagents in Europe. I am certain this would not be complicated .

The final annoying bit is the fact that I always end up throwing 35% of the Alk reagent out Because the Ca and Mg have depleted. Not only this is a waste of money, it is simply waste. Again, this should be fixed.

If I were in the US, at 100$ for a 6 month kit I would probably not look elsewhere. But at 200$ it is just unsustainable.

I right this with sadness, as I am a Neptune fan. I guess I hope they change their policies in the near future and I can get back to the Pentagon (Alk,Ca,Mg,NO3,PO4) auto tester :))

My Trident only tests Alk four times per day, not six (12am , 6am, 12pm and 6pm).

Not sure why you would throw out Alk reagent when the Ca and Mg are depleted. I will open the drawer and feel how much is in the bottle. Then do a 'reset' on whichever Trident "thinks" is running out so that I can use the remaining reagent. Note that one needs to be careful with this approach so as not to actually run out of the reagent.

There may be an adanced way to program the Trident differently to tailor to your needs. I believe the fellow is @ApexGuy (edit: @SuncrestReef ) or something similar who has a ton of articles on Apex programming.

Regarding the $200 cost...that is a different story. Hopefully, you can find another resource for reagents.
I just want to add you do not have to use the schedule they provide via a click box
You can set it to test all 3 once a day or once a week or not at all and you can set alk to test the same there are slightly hidden setting

The reagent is only good for 2 months once opened so throw it out otherwise you will get drifts at the same time recalibrate everything

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbies are typically discretionary expenses. Automated testing even more so. The long and short of it is we all know automated testing isn't necessary for a successful tank but it does help our quality of life. Safety nets of push notifications, trends, and automation of tasks be it testing, water changes, schedules, and more. Again not required.

The main take away from the OP's plight is the cost of reagents in EMEA. If you haven't done so a quick message to Neptune would be helpful so that they understand what is going on over there. I'm sure they already know but part of the issue is supply chain, container space across oceans, planes, and trains. Inflation isn't helping much either. Then there is VAT, etc. Maybe Neptune can make the reagents there depending on the overall numbers of Trident users. Not helping you today but maybe something they are either aware of or looking at. I don't work there but this is my take. The price is, unfortunately, what it is.

Reagent spill over and consolidation. Not recommended. Hobbyists do it. Some say it works. Here is why I wouldn't recommend doing that. Reagents have lot numbers. Mixing them isn't a good idea. This is why when a home owner or designer buys tile they buy it all at once to stay in the lot number range. Color, dyes, can be slight but it is possible and happens. Since I noted above automation isn't mandatory and the hobby is full of discretionary expenses toss them properly. I know first hand the lot numbers do indeed make a difference.

I can't speak for other hobbyists but when I used the trident controlled dosing using the lowest test settings at 4/2/2 it was perfectly fine. I was dosing ESV 2 part and didn't really have any issues. I can't speak if I bumped it up to the next testing option if it would have tightened it up. Maybe. I've since switched to TM AFR so stopped it. May switch back since my AFR dose amount is getting close to 100ml/day.

Cost. Not going to beat this horse. Trident is reagent based and we all know this going into it. We have to see what our own thresholds are and go from there. Sounds like the OP made a decent choice after their line was crossed. On the other hand if you think this tool is expensive wait until you see the competitor probe solution. As already noted back to discretionary spending so a known price to pay for automation.

Long and short of it is this. Automation isn't required. It is a quality of life improvement. Can't really place a price on that. Similar to test kits. Some are better than others. Some are more consistent than others. If one is going into automation of testing then being able to test daily is an important requirement otherwise why buy into it. Manual kits are fast enough, and lower price point, to do one or two tests a week...

Just my take on it. Sorry the reagents are so expensive over in EMEA.
So bery correct and lot number make a huge difrence in everything

From cloths to silk to dyes to flooring to paints each lot is just alittle difrent

Silk being one of the worst you can buy same brand same everything but a difrent lot number and the material will feel completely difrent

It what the silk worms were feed hiw hit it was etc that effect silk

Just an example of why lots matter

And the 2 months is all those are good for

Everyone that has setup the trident like in the video about has found the reagents start to drift after 2 months and have to be changed

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it's my understanding when changing the reagent not only should you recalibrate but you also need to flush the reagent lines as the old reagent in those lines can cause drift

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after an appalling experience with GHL that lasted another three years. I can honestly say that if I was faced with the choice of leaving the hobby vs being forced to use GHL again I would gladly leave the hobby.
Can you expand on your experience?
I also live in Europe, and I don't know what to choose between GHL and Neptune.

The hardware point:
I keep hearing GHL has better hardware, whereas Neptune hardware is more likely to fail (EB832 is often brought as an example).
The Apex is more expensive here in Europe, so that I'd be buying "not as good hardware" for a higher price, if I bought the Apex.

The support point:
The internet presence of the Apex user base is much better, and it seems like if I couldn't do something with the Apex, I'd be getting tons of help across the forums. Plus, many tutorials on YouTube.

Anyone with more insight on this?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been paying $105 for 6 month, so $79 seemed nice to me

20 bucks is 20 bucks. Not knocking it. My only concern is if there would be any residue left in the reagent mixing chamber. I don't know enough about the off brand reagents so not sure if that is a concern or not..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got Trident and this thing is disbursing waste water but I dont think its drawing water. Bottles went down 2% and my readings are ZERO. Something not right

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got Trident and this thing is disbursing waste water but I dont think its drawing water. Bottles went down 2% and my readings are ZERO. Something not right
Go to settings and click prime supply and remove smoke cover over vial and watch if it fills vial or not while primming

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Go to settings and click prime supply and remove smoke cover over vial and watch if it fills vial or not while primming
I did do that and now status says IDLE. Waiting to see if it actually tests next cycle

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Neptune controller. I have been using it for the past three years after an appalling experience with GHL that lasted another three years. I can honestly say that if I was faced with the choice of leaving the hobby vs being forced to use GHL again I would gladly leave the hobby. But this is for another thread. Why am I ditching the Trident than? In one word, stubbornness. In two words, Reagent Cost. let me break it down:

- I live in Europe where a 2 month reagent kit costs 60$ and a 6 month kit 200$!!! That means that in order to test Alk a minimum of 6x a day (the recommended minimum to use Trident Controlled dosing) I need to shell out at least 600$ per year in reagents alone. I have done it but enough is enough. Time to buy the Alkatronic+dosetronic package

- Why stubbornness? Well, I understand that you need to test Ca=Mg a min of 2x a day but what could easily be fixed would be to allow you to increase Alk dosing without increasing Ca and Mg dosing. So for example I could test 12x a day Alk, but still keep testing only 2x a day Ca and Mg. Although this would not completely fix the issue, it would make it easier to swallow. The second point is that Neptune could simply start making reagents in Europe. I am certain this would not be complicated .

The final annoying bit is the fact that I always end up throwing 35% of the Alk reagent out Because the Ca and Mg have depleted. Not only this is a waste of money, it is simply waste. Again, this should be fixed.

If I were in the US, at 100$ for a 6 month kit I would probably not look elsewhere. But at 200$ it is just unsustainable.

I right this with sadness, as I am a Neptune fan. I guess I hope they change their policies in the near future and I can get back to the Pentagon (Alk,Ca,Mg,NO3,PO4) auto tester :))
Why not use one of the ones from Spain ( forget the name) or the one from reef factory?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do that and now status says IDLE. Waiting to see if it actually tests next cycle
The stock settings is noon,6pm,midnight,6am but I’m sure you know this. Also you can click the combined test button to have it manually do a test now to make sure it is error free for next scheduled test

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The stock settings is noon,6pm,midnight,6am but I’m sure you know this. Also you can click the combined test button to have it manually do a test now to make sure it is error free for next scheduled test
I have orange light. selected Combined and still Says IDLE . . . hmmmm

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have orange light. selected Combined and still Says IDLE . . . hmmmm
And the mode is set to Automatic?

8BB9CF4E-3A99-407B-BBCB-1E324CDB9F47.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back