Why anything but Instant Ocean?

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen RC less expensive the IO. Why would it when RC has elevated parameter which means it costs more to produce?

I buy 200G box of IO for about 35$ a box(you can often find it on sale twice a year and I buy a couple boxes at that price).

Right now on amazon a 200G box of RC is $67.60(lowest price with free shipping, not counting prime here as not everyone has prime), and a 200G box of regular purple box IO is $64.30(again free shipping and no prime). So it's $3.30 more a box.

Not trying to be argumentative, just have never seen RC cheaper then IO.

The 200g boxes are cheaper because you don't get a bucket. I defy you to find a BUCKET of 160 IO cheaper than $36. At petsmart.com IO bucket is $39 and RC is $36. When you can find the IO bucket on Amazon it is always a few bucks more than RC. I don't believe instant ocean is doing this, I think retailers do this based on supply and demand. Even if RC was more expensive at one point it's close enough to IO where the average consumer buys it over IO thinking they are getting something superior (they are getting more of something but for the average reefer I don't think what they add and what they add more of is better but that's a different topic). If RC is significantly outselling IO in 160 bucket form it drops the price. On the other hand if an average consumer sees a 200g box next to a 160 bucket for similar pricing suddenly a 200g box makes more sense. Does not for me because a) I've seen salt in a bag compromised often (small hole/exposed to moisture, sat too long etc....whatever the case a rock hard brick which never happens to a sealed bucket and b) I use those buckets for YEARS doing water changes, storing salt and RO water, car wash or anything I'd use a bucket for. I'm sure the savings from the boxes is because it's cheaper to package and easier to ship bulk being a square box than a bucket.
On a side note I don't think places like BRS WANT to sell IO/RC. I have a hard time believing a place that moves as much product as they do cant price IO and RC buckets for less than $55 and $62 respectively. I think it's kept artificially high to keep their other brands selling.

Last edited:

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this as a possible option to use as an alternate for Red Sea Blue bucket. Do you mind sharing how much of the Seachem Acid Buffer you would need to bring the alk down close to 8dKH if using a full bag of IO salt (about 40 gallons mixed).
I'd start with 3 teaspoons. I use just under that to get to 8dkh with a 32 gallon brute.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back