Why anything but Instant Ocean?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out BRS video on the cost of salt. It compares the actual cost per gallon of the major salt brands and well as the major elements, minerals and precip amounts. I found it very interesting and informative.

Only problem with that video, the prices are based on buying from BRS. They list the 160G bucket for $54.99(interestingly enough, they also have the 200G box for the same exact price?), but I buy the 200G for around $34 on amazon all day long.

Drops my price per gallon down to $0.15/G. Tropic Marin is $0.55 a gallon. Pretty big difference there now isn't it?

Do you really think that a company that is in business to sell you stuff will suggest the cheapest option, or make it out to be the same exact salt(not price obviously) as the most expensive brand? Ever wonder why tropic marin is at the top of their list? Just look at the price, pretty sure there is a very large profit margin in that one for them.

I'm certainly not saying any other salt is bad, but the stigma that IO is bad, or inferior to more expensive salts because it's cheap is pure hogwash.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been an IO and IORC for a long time. I always wondered about the brown film coating the mixing container and how that ultimately may build-up in my tank. "BRS Investigates" did a series of videos on salt and salt mixing which has a wealth of good information. This one:

closed the deal for me. Tropic Marin Pro and Tropic Marin Classic were standouts for low precipitation, clarity, and storage longevity. Albeit, they are more expensive, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" may have some baring here.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason many people use other brands is due to the trace elements. Matching Alk/Ca/Mg is pretty easy, but getting all the trace elements gets tricky. Now do those trace elements matter, and are the values they provide accurate? At the end of the day if something is working then there is no reason to change. I personally like reef crystals and have been using them for a few years. When on sale I can pickup a 200 gallon box for around $39 box. I do get white precipitate, but never brown sludge.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call!

IO mixes instantly and its so cheap on amazon

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m having a hard time to find regular IO (200g box) on amazon lol. I guess I have to wait for a while until they go back in stock.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been an IO and IORC for a long time. I always wondered about the brown film coating the mixing container and how that ultimately may build-up in my tank. "BRS Investigates" did a series of videos on salt and salt mixing which has a wealth of good information. This one:

closed the deal for me. Tropic Marin Pro and Tropic Marin Classic were standouts for low precipitation, clarity, and storage longevity. Albeit, they are more expensive, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" may have some baring here.

i agree. and i fully acknowledge that IO is perfectly fine.. I just rather not have the sludge and cloudiness and precip, etc...

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we have the 200 gallon boxes of IO bogo by me . i use tropic marin right now because it mixes right at what i want and i was gifted my first bucket so eh. a bucket will last me over 6 months so i dont care all that much.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to this would be very interesting.

The answer won't be intersting because there would be no discernable differences in your tank. People use Tropic marin over IO bc of the brown sludge , how well it mixes, and moreover you will get consistent cal/alk/mag every time with Tm and not so much wit IO.. The question is, how bad is the brown sludge? it may be nothing, or it may take 3-5 years to have some negative effects in your tank. The "unknown" is why folks choose one over the other. No one says IO is bad or you can't have a kick butt tank with it.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always mix salt in cold water. Keeps precipitation to a minimum.
Define cold water. I live in AZ, during the summer my cold water from the tap is 88 degrees lol. My RO/DI water is room temp at 78 degrees. I’ve used IO on and off over the years. I got tired of the brown crud in my mixing bucket. I use TM pro now in my 105 gallon SW mixing/holding container. Mixes clear and no brown crud regardless of the water temp.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold is water that is not heated. I dunno what temperature... for people who have to heat it, just mix it before you do. For those of you who have to use chillers on your tank or RO water, then maybe run the chiller on the bucket of water before you mix it. (kidding :) )

In any case, the colder the water is, the less precipitation.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a friend who was preaching about fritz RPM to me for a long time. About how fast it mixes. I bought a big box and every time I mixed it, it precipitated and took 24 hours or more to clear up. Maybe it has to do with water temp or a difference in our procedures. Maybe I got a bad batch or something.. Doesn't matter to me I guess... i went back to IO. It mixes fast and clear for me. Performs just fine. I have a SPS dominant mixed reef but a fairly light load by volume. My system tends to run on the ULM side so salt mix doesn't make much difference to me as I rarely do water changes. Dosing manually atm as I need to and IO seems to be the best value.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO Reef since starting 90g mixed Reef four years old. I get1.025, pH 8.3. Alk 9.1. Ca 440 from 15 cups salt and 30g RODI. Mixes in couple hours with a heater on. Why change.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer won't be intersting because there would be no discernable differences in your tank. People use Tropic marin over IO bc of the brown sludge , how well it mixes, and moreover you will get consistent cal/alk/mag every time with Tm and not so much wit IO.. The question is, how bad is the brown sludge? it may be nothing, or it may take 3-5 years to have some negative effects in your tank. The "unknown" is why folks choose one over the other. No one says IO is bad or you can't have a kick butt tank with it.

I’ve been using IO/RC for over Ten years - I’ve never once gotten a brown sludge - anyone have pics?

I have a white 55gal container I use for my AWC and never once have I gotten a brown sludge. I do have a a recirculating pump going and keep the water at 75 degrees (gets really cold in my basement) maybe that has something to do with it? Either way IO/RC has been great for me and I use it as is.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just use IO. its incredibly cheap on amazon at times. $35 for 200 gallon box, i buy like 6 at a time when its on sale like that.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doctor up any salt to my liking - acid to lower the alk and dowflake to adjust the calcium. I just want consistency and good price and IO has these in spades.

My IO recipie, for anybody who wants to give it a go:
50g bag of IO into a 44g brute full of COLD RO water. Add 2 tbsp of dowflake (calcium chloride). Mix. Add 20mls of Muriatic Acid and heat. Let mix for a day or two until the pH is back up. Perfect acropora water with dKh about 7.0 and calcium at 425.

I used to do the same exact thing except I would just turn my CA reactor off overnight. Now that I'm back on the acropora horse after a disasterous 5 year stint of a disaterous move, then a rebuild, then AEFW and back to back trips to asia... I'll be doing yearly 50g water changes twice a year (to start) in my 400g system and will be using IO or RC, whichever is cheapest. The stuff works, and the people that pay more are doing it mostly because it feels better to spend more.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back