Why are leathers so hard to find?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a piece of sinularia and nepthea from a local reefer.. I’ve never had to deal with a soft coral that wasn’t attached so he said to stab it with a toothpick and stick it in the rock. After feeling like I totally mutilated them, I got them on a toothpick and stuck them some epoxy in the rock.... next day they were gone... and I’ve searched for HOURS... I’m so upset because I cannot find them for a reasonable price anywhere, and especially not what I’m looking for. I paid $40 for 3 pieces, only one I still have is the tiniest piece of nepthea. Now I’m looking online and can’t find any decent leathers available, very few places offer them at all. I would definitely be willing to pay more for a larger colony but I have no idea where to find them. Any suggestions on websites with a good leather selection?

salty old texan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from saltyunderground. They show 1 in stock. Just have to check daily on the new items. Spend $75=free shipping. Saltwaterfish shows a couple in stock. Spend $99=free shipping but they charge a box fee. All arrived fine and are still doing great. If you sign up for saltwaterfish sale emails, they have some good deals but they go fast. I also picked up a couple off ebay, but its ebay.

Last edited:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I've gotten a frag locally I've used a makeshift box & rubber band them to some rubble until they attach. I got the idea from the mushroom boxes but I'm lazy and cheap so I actually use an acrylic freshwater breeding box and just stick extra nori clips in there to magnet it in place. It works.

I get my leathers at random online. Sometimes aquasd has some, sometimes corals.com -- marine farmers is a good source but they're a little more pricy. Etc

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an enormous finger leather I can't even get rid of. Drops frags 1 or 2 times a week and over a foot in diameter when opened up.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I've gotten a frag locally I've used a makeshift box & rubber band them to some rubble until they attach. I got the idea from the mushroom boxes but I'm lazy and cheap so I actually use an acrylic freshwater breeding box and just stick extra nori clips in there to magnet it in place. It works.

I get my leathers at random online. Sometimes aquasd has some, sometimes corals.com -- marine farmers is a good source but they're a little more pricy. Etc

Thank you!! That’s a great idea.. now I know.. I tried the rubber band thing and it split in half, which is why I only have a tiny bit remaining (literally a nub..) the other piece must have floated into oblivion and the sinularia was gone as soon as I checked.. I’ve been checking Aqua SD and they seem to rarely have anything other than GSP and toadstools but I’ll check the other places

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! That’s a great idea.. now I know.. I tried the rubber band thing and it split in half, which is why I only have a tiny bit remaining (literally a nub..) the other piece must have floated into oblivion and the sinularia was gone as soon as I checked.. I’ve been checking Aqua SD and they seem to rarely have anything other than GSP and toadstools but I’ll check the other places
Not too tight! Which is easier when you don't have to worry as much about the flow because it's in a box.

I got a beautiful Blue Solomon Tree frag from asd once, it's gorgeous.
Unique Corals also has things at random. About once a month I do a run through of bookmarked sites to see who has what.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too tight! Which is easier when you don't have to worry as much about the flow because it's in a box.

I got a beautiful Blue Solomon Tree frag from asd once, it's gorgeous.
Unique Corals also has things at random. About once a month I do a run through of bookmarked sites to see who has what.
I saw unique corals had a pink nepthea that I want SO bad but it’s sold out :( just frustrating that there are zoas and mushrooms galore available but leathers are so inconsistently available!

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw unique corals had a pink nepthea that I want SO bad but it’s sold out :( just frustrating that there are zoas and mushrooms galore available but leathers are so inconsistently available!
I got my baby pink nep from Marine Farmers. They look like they're in stock right now there. :)

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the demand overall for leathers is down. But the truely unique ones are super pricey (jap. long polyp) and in demand. Not to mention they can grow slowly.

Attachment is the worst part of it. I have a tub of rubble I toss my frags into. In a lower flow area, it take new cuttings about 2 weeks to heal.

Another thing i worry about with fragging big leathers is there ability to pollute the water. took my basketball+ size singularia out of the tank to frag and so glad I did. water looked rusty red after fragging.

oceana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Alyssa’s Seahorse Savvy. Under Shop, go to Corals (seahorse safe). She has quite a few leathers.

Last edited:

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a piece of sinularia and nepthea from a local reefer.. I’ve never had to deal with a soft coral that wasn’t attached so he said to stab it with a toothpick and stick it in the rock. After feeling like I totally mutilated them, I got them on a toothpick and stuck them some epoxy in the rock.... next day they were gone... and I’ve searched for HOURS... I’m so upset because I cannot find them for a reasonable price anywhere, and especially not what I’m looking for. I paid $40 for 3 pieces, only one I still have is the tiniest piece of nepthea. Now I’m looking online and can’t find any decent leathers available, very few places offer them at all. I would definitely be willing to pay more for a larger colony but I have no idea where to find them. Any suggestions on websites with a good leather selection?
I’ve got a bunch. Looking to trade and sell.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The one I just bought looks like it was sewn to a frag plug with a needle and fishing line through the bottom base then tied around the plug stem. Seemed to work pretty good because its fully attached to the plug pretty quickly

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might want to look at this place. I have never ordered from here, but the corals look very nice.
Also, do not use rubber bands as they will either kill or cut the coral, I learned a very good way to attach them, use a wide zip tie, no need to tighten it clear up. Its a shame you live so far away, I have a 120 full of LARGE different tree corals. Problem with shipping is, the leather will let out a toxic & maybe arrive dead, or I would offer. But check her out, great prices & nice looking corals.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that pink nephthea would be a great one to have. It's very hard to find in my experience. I lucked upon some green nephthea a few years ago and it's done very well.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is the rubble rock in a screen breeder box or said 3d printed now days mushroom screen or anenome box. Hths.
D

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco usually has plenty

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got four leather corals at a local petco once-- two sarcophyton, one lobophytum, and a large sinulara. $25 each. Only advise I have is to dip them and maybe QT for a bit, but all my corals are alive and well--and big too. I wouldn't ever buy from petco again. I only bought them because it seemed like a bargain, but probably wouldn't recommend buying petco livestock. They do have great prices though....

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Corals is about an hour from me and I've made the trip a few times. Penny's business has a focus on soft corals and a nice bonus is that everything she sells is attached to a real piece of rock instead of a plug or just loose. Even better, she's nice to deal with.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I won't buy anything that's not attached to rock.
Just too many ways for things to go wrong.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back