Why are my mantis dying?

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, hoping someone has an idea or if I'm having terrible luck. I set up a mantis only 7 gallon a year ago. I put a G. Smithii in it and things were going great. She molted once successfully but about 4 months into having her, one day she was laying on her side in front of the tank and nearly nonresponsive. I thought it might be a bad molt since she was probably due and so turned off the lights and left her alone. She died a few days later unfortunately.

I left the tank unoccupied for some months and tried a wennerae. He seemed fine on arrival, active. But he turned up dead one morning less than a week later. He had never come out again after the first day, but even just hours before his death, we had heard him clicking away in his cave.

It's really frustrating. The tank has again been unoccupied (except for snails and bugs) for some months. I found another smithii that's coming this week. If I lose this one too, I'm out for good. I feel too terrible about it all. For more details, It's also a macro only tank. Due to all the plants, phos and nitrates are used up fast and I actually dose them daily to keep the numbers up from zero, so high nutrients are not a problem. I also dose chaetogro daily for the plants. That's the only things I dose. I added some snails in with the wennerae and they have all been living happily along with the million copepods that also live in there. So there are inverts that are living in the tank. The first mantis death coincided with a breakout of planaria. I did nothing to treat them until after the mantis died, but I still wondered if it was a coincidence or if they still somehow emitted toxins that hurt the mantis despite not treating for them (I did add in carbon at the time). The planaria were completely gone when the second mantis was added.

If anyone has any ideas at all, please let me know! I really want this one to do well.... A mantis tank has been my dream for a while :( Thanks

Last edited:

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating them hopefully drip? They are very touchy.

What are your levels, please rattle them all off for us.

sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating them hopefully drip? They are very touchy.

What are your levels, please rattle them all off for us.

sorry for your losses.
Yes, I am dripping.

Nitrates I dose daily, 5-10ppm
Phos I also dose daily or it's zero, I dose to 0.05ppm
Salt is 1.025
Temp is 78F
pH 8.2

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but I'll need to disagree here. While I don't know why the two died (it could be bad luck), 7 gallons is more than enough for g smithii and wennerae. They are also not susceptible to shell rot like a peacock. I did my research. I looked at Roy's information on the Berkley website many times. The tank is literally full of macro. I don't just have one plant in there. It sucks up an incredible amount of phos and nitrates every day, which is why I dose nutrients. Zero nitrates and phos will only give me dinos.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back