Why are people so lazy?

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a geek and I make a living tinkering with automation at work. Why wouldn’t I do that at home? For me, figuring out how to automate maintenance tasks is fun and likely takes more time to figure out than if I just did it myself.

Just like at work, it also brings me piece of mind that things are being done in a consistent way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in my tank is automated except the lights are on a timer and I use a DIY ATO. I love everything I do to my tank but I don't do much. I only change water maybe 4 times a year and I collect the water so I rarely do it in the winter.

I almost never test anything so that only takes up about an hour or two a year. I do have to clean the glass every day but if I don't have time, it just gets green. Who cares? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I feed the fish every day but again if I don't have time for 1, 2, or 3 days, nothing happens except they give me dirty looks when I show up.

I actually like it when something goes wrong. Something small, not like the tank bursting or the lights falling in the tank. :rolleyes:

I am an inventor so I enjoy building things for the tank. I built my algae scrubber, skimmer, surface scrubber, ATO etc.

My fish normally only die of old age and I don't have to be concerned about diseases or quarantine and all the medicating that goes with that so if I buy a fish, I just throw it in after a few minutes of acclimating.

I enjoy finding something weird in a LFS that I have never seen before but that rarely happens. Many of my fish constantly spawn and I still get excited when I see that. It makes me happy when one of my fish dies of old age because I know that was a success and that fish lived out it's natural life " happy" and healthy. Thats all we can ask for. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally get into Zen mode when working on my tanks. I love to go into my fish room and take care of the corals and animals in the tanks. I love watching my tanks to see how things are growing. I do manual water changes because I want to do them.
I have some automation of course to make life easier (Ca Rx for one), but nothing is better than cleaning out my algae scrubber and getting really green wonderful algae and lots of pods and worms.

I could do without scraping the back of my tank, but hey, it does look better when I do it. :)

I think that everyone has a level of tolerance and time. I do not like to keep up with all then new tech, but that is just me.

mrehfeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation aids in the monitoring of system parameters, Overall stability of the system and a more enjoyable experience for those who use technology to manage their systems. I knew a pool guy that had an ultra quiet pool pump for circulation and flow. He had beautiful systems. My point is some people like to use their skills outside of reefing to make it an even more enjoyable experience. I myself do everything manually incase your wondering.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like dieting and exersize, ones way of doing things can definitely not fit another's lifestyle. I don't think anyone actively tries to be lazy, but life often comes at a priority and a tank can be "neglected". Then you come back in 1-3 months with a hair algae outbreak and give up.

I knew going in that I wouldn't be in this hobby for long if I had to be diligent and consistent with my water changes. So I spent my efforts learning how to build robust and stable systems. Easier for me to test dKH and tune a calcium reactor with a few clicks on a calculator than do a 10% water change on my 130. Easier to setup an apex with temp and ph monitoring with it feeding data to a server than to trust that my dosing equipment isn't shocking my system. Easier to have automatic feeders knowing that my fish will always be fed even when im not around.

Now that all that work has been set up, I can focus on the actual coral husbandry part and less of the maintenance part.

1696871288057.png

Attachments

• PXL_20231009_171001826.jpg
    PXL_20231009_171001826.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 28

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back