Why are people so lazy?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or are they just sooo busy with life they don't really have time for a reef tank :thinking-face: I see so many post about automating this that and the other. People hate doing water changes. Hate cleaning the glass. Hate changing socks. The skimmer stinks and is a pita to clean etc.
Maybe I'm weird because those are things I enjoy. It helps be observe things and look for potential problems or just enjoy checking the life forms out, even the nasty bristle worms that I love :zany-face:
To me a hobby is something to occupy some of my time and clear my head. I focus on the hobby and all other thoughts are gone for a short time. Isn't that what hobbies are supposed to be for or am I looking at this the wrong way? I guess it could be because I'm older and more people on here are younger and look at things differently or are more busy than I have ever been even when I was raising 3 girls and working 11 hour days. Then I really enjoyed that time working on the tank.

EDIT: I didn't word this thread properly so please read my apology to all using automation in post #52 before commenting.

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not lazy, it’s just another form of tinkering (or I do because I can).

I could go down to my basement and add water manually every day when I feed the fish but I have an ATO. Not sure that makes me lazy. I still feel the fish every day and would take next to not time to top off water.

It does help with vacations though.

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stan Marsh Ai GIF by South Park

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could go down to my basement and add water manually every day when I feed the fish but I have an ATO.
Because a well planned system makes it easier to do some tasks, like water changes
I didn't mean to sound so negative about the automation. I have an ATO and just set up a doser for alk. Reason for the doser is so I can at least leave the house over night if needed.
I'm guess I'm just thinking out loud and don't understand why people hate doing the manual tasks that are needed like cleaning glass and such. Sorry if I offended anyone. Im gonna go what my gha and cyano grow and try not to freak out.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's more along the lines of being impatient than lazy. When I first started a reef tank almost 30 years ago it seemed to be alot more work than it is now. But then again I was a hyper 20 something that had bigger fish to fry. It's worse now because we have become so used to instant gratification due to technological advances.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or are they just sooo busy with life they don't really have time for a reef tank :thinking-face: I see so many post about automating this that and the other. People hate doing water changes. Hate cleaning the glass. Hate changing socks. The skimmer stinks and is a pita to clean etc.
Maybe I'm weird because those are things I enjoy. It helps be observe things and look for potential problems or just enjoy checking the life forms out, even the nasty bristle worms that I love :zany-face:
To me a hobby is something to occupy some of my time and clear my head. I focus on the hobby and all other thoughts are gone for a short time. Isn't that what hobbies are supposed to be for or am I looking at this the wrong way? I guess it could be because I'm older and more people on here are younger and look at things differently or are more busy than I have ever been even when I was raising 3 girls and working 11 hour days. Then I really enjoyed that time working on the tank.
I've had a reef tank since 2000...a 38 gallon which had the basic ATO/kalk dripper. I thought about this hobby before I entered it...would I crash the tank, expenses, etc. etc. I was single and living in an apartment at the time. My other hobbies were fishing and brewing beer. I occasionally would go away for the weekend, fishing/camping/visiting relatives in another state.

There have been times when my tank became a FOWLR due to other things going on. When I bought my house a lot of other things were added to my plate, less fishing and camping, more yard work, fixing house stuff.

I downsized to my current set up a 29 gallon with sump and the basic gadgets around 2010 when I started dating my wife....so priorities shifted. My tank is kind of a PITA to work on since I stuffed in an existing wall space and the sump is in the kitchen and water change stuff in the basement.

I am also not a neat freak....I let the dandelions grow in my lawn from time to time.

There are times I focus on the reef (winter time), but once winter is over in Vermont I got outdoor things to do. May is a very busy month for me and June is starting to get packed as well.

I am also older (54) and came home today from working outside and took a much needed nap.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the time “ wasting” aspects of the hobby as it honestly clears my head. Some people like gear some don’t is all. I also don’t think an “automated” tank takes up zero time. All the equipment needs maintenance and refills and technical knowledge. Just different ways to enjoy is all.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to sound so negative about the automation. I have an ATO and just set up a doser for alk. Reason for the doser is so I can at least leave the house over night if needed.
I'm guess I'm just thinking out loud and don't understand why people hate doing the manual tasks that are needed like cleaning glass and such. Sorry if I offended anyone. Im gonna go what my gha and cyano grow and try not to freak out.
I don't hate cleaning the glass, I just get tired of doing it every single day. I got married to help with this problem but that solution failed miserably. :cool:

Same with water changes, I was just thinking I should automate because I'm getting so old I struggle to move buckets of water around anymore. Automation is a solution for this need, not laziness. Believe me I know laziness and automation is just folks trying to marry an electric "wife." They have different problems because of it but those are not correlated with laziness.
spider-man dancing GIF

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I like the time “ wasting” aspects of the hobby as it honestly clears my head. Some people like gear some don’t is all. I also don’t think an “automated” tank takes up zero time. All the equipment needs maintenance and refills and technical knowledge. Just different ways to enjoy is all.
Agreed I have basic gear and I do not have an ato no room on the electrical outlet and worried about flooding living room I’ll stick to the 4 gal jug every other day please

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and you have to dig into that mess of wiring to replace that automated part.

My LED has been failing for a while...sometimes it's on...sometimes it's not...when I get a free couple of hours I'll swap out, but my T5's seem to be keeping the tank going.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supplement dosers are by far the best thing in the hobby! I could never manually dose the way I need to like a doser, I love it!! but I'm definitely guilty of being lazy with some things in the hobby :) but it's a give and take relationship, but I definitely agree it's a great way to pass the time and distract the mind!

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small biocube and love cleaning the glass (except the front along the sand, since I have yet to find a satisfactory method!! Lol) and doing water changes since it’s only about a gallon! Haha but as i am planning my next tank, I am definitely going to look into automated methods to help me with the water changes- since my shoulders get all messed up from handling the water jugs… hopefully won’t be a chronic issue by the time i get a new tank haha but i do enjoy the maintenance as much as I enjoy getting visually sucked into the tank - it’s just gorgeous…

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure everyone has their reasons. There are times when lifting 5 gallons of water 5' off the floor makes me feel like my backs going to break. At that point I get my husband to help.

Mind you, in my teens i carried 2x 5 gallon buckets weekly with ease. I guess I havent aged well at all.

Still no automated system installed. I don't even have an ato.

To each their own.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend on the system. My 500 gallon peninsula with 40' of acrylic that needs to be cleaned every 3 days does get old after awhile.

Last edited:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back