OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like the cyano that's growing in patches since I shuffled some rocks around... it's not getting any worse...I'll get to it next week....
Don't get me started on cyano or I'll turn into a little whiney baby. Daily blowing off rocks, cleaning glass, small daily water changes and dosing coral snow with MB7 daily (dosing by hand tho lol) but as @Wolf8895 said things aren't dying so I'm winning

jabraha1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it funny when anyone bashes automation in the hobby if any part of their system is plugged into an outlet. I know @exnisstech retracted the initial bash, but some folks haven't seen your point. Frankly, we easily forget that an essential device like our return pump is automated, our wavemakers are automation. Unless your out here scooping buckets back and forth between your sump and display you've got a minimal degree of automation.

It's also worth continuing with the discussion that not everyone is fully invested in aquariums as a hobby. I enjoying doing all kinds of tinkering in my tank, but it's also not only "my" tank; the fiancé loves the tank even more than me while I do 90% of the work. We're not going to be able to go on any overnight dive trip if not for sufficient automation that enables a non-hobbyist or enthusiastic neighbor to "babysit" our tank. Having a service that comes once a month to do a major water change also helps when some of us don't have the time or personal resources we'd like to dedicate to a hobby. If you've got room (and support) for a tank but not the space (or permission) for storing larger quantities of water needed for larger water changes, having that major water change done by someone else once a month doesn't make you any less of a hobbyists. I'm glad most folks in the thread seem to agree with that idea.

I think the time and stability points are clear arguments in favor of automation. As a public school teacher, who also sponsors extra curricular activities, I lose out an a lot of afternoons and even weekends where I don't have time to also take full responsibility for the tank. Priorities are always being balanced and when technological advances allow us to reduce the burden of deciding between responsibilities/interests we can carry more or our cares/priorities without totally giving things up.

I'm loving this discussion, but I also think it's important we avoid any dichotomy where automation means lazy or assistance with regular/major service is an affront to hobbyists. I rather give a shout out to any tank service workers who read this thread. You bring mini ocean museums into peoples homes, and that's pretty awesome!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nutshell automation = stability at least if you have reliable automation which is still somewhat elusive. It's not laziness but rather striving for perfection and of course the ability to be able to leave home for work or vacation and maybe handle problems remotely. Somethings will always require manual maintenance but still waiting on that robotic glass cleaner lol. And of course, in addition to a reef some people also have a life :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

BTW how's that rotary phone working out for you lol.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I enjoyed reading what people had to say, and I think there was good conversation (well, for the most part...). So I'm glad you started this thread even if the statement was a bit silly.

I will say that it is nice not to be slogging water from the sump to the display all day! I can't imagine finding a tank sitter to do that...

FS

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind doing the work and wouldn't call myself lazy. I am I double business owner with two kids, a dog, a cat, a horse and so on running around

If there's a way to automate stuff so I don't have to do the 'boring work', I'm all for it. And I'm a software engineer so I love the tech involved in automation.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I do that most reefers don’t do is manually dose 2 part to their tank. I’ve been manually dosing ESV 2 part for several months now with syringes and I enjoy doing it. I especially like it when I find I have to dose more to keep up with cal/alk demand because that tells me my animals are growing. Definitely no need to worry about over or under dosing my tank with cal and alk.
I dosed ESV manually for roughly 2 years. I loved doing it. You know what I love more, my Red Sea ReefDose2 that now does it for me. So simple and mistake free. Take the leap, trust me, you’ll love it.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I automate so my water is consistent and my tank is stable. It has nothing to do with being lazy. You still have tons of maintenance either way.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I openly admit I’m a bit lazy with my tank. Three kids all in select sports in all seasons leaves me little free time and go in spurts of tank maintenance. I have some automation but not anything fancy. If I had more time I still wouldn’t test daily or touch the tank much because in experience the less you do the more successful you are. Obviously it takes time to get to that point in tank maturity so when i start a new tank the first year I’m a lot less lazy if that makes sense.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or are they just sooo busy with life they don't really have time for a reef tank :thinking-face: I see so many post about automating this that and the other. People hate doing water changes. Hate cleaning the glass. Hate changing socks. The skimmer stinks and is a pita to clean etc.
Maybe I'm weird because those are things I enjoy. It helps be observe things and look for potential problems or just enjoy checking the life forms out, even the nasty bristle worms that I love :zany-face:
To me a hobby is something to occupy some of my time and clear my head. I focus on the hobby and all other thoughts are gone for a short time. Isn't that what hobbies are supposed to be for or am I looking at this the wrong way? I guess it could be because I'm older and more people on here are younger and look at things differently or are more busy than I have ever been even when I was raising 3 girls and working 11 hour days. Then I really enjoyed that time working on the tank.

EDIT: I didn't word this thread properly so please read my apology to all using automation in post #52 before commenting.
Automation has positives and negatives. Stability is a positive. Having less worry if you go on vacation, more time to enjoy your fish/coral with less work. The negatives - it's more costly, often one sees people writing about multiple 'fall backs' in case it fails, and the devastating issue of failure (which I have experienced multiple times). I now use my controller as a quick way to see the pH and Temp, and as an expensive surge suppressor.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's take it even further, I know people that pay other people to do their hobby for them. They are so lazy and out of touch they don't even understand the value of actually having a hobby. I find myself dismissing people that try and relate to me when they have hired a maintenance company to care for their tanks. That is not a hobby, these peolpe are not hobbyist, they are collectors.
There is nothing wrong with this, IMHO. I have not done this, but I see benefits and drawbacks.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or are they just sooo busy with life they don't really have time for a reef tank :thinking-face: I see so many post about automating this that and the other. People hate doing water changes. Hate cleaning the glass. Hate changing socks. The skimmer stinks and is a pita to clean etc.
Maybe I'm weird because those are things I enjoy. It helps be observe things and look for potential problems or just enjoy checking the life forms out, even the nasty bristle worms that I love :zany-face:
To me a hobby is something to occupy some of my time and clear my head. I focus on the hobby and all other thoughts are gone for a short time. Isn't that what hobbies are supposed to be for or am I looking at this the wrong way? I guess it could be because I'm older and more people on here are younger and look at things differently or are more busy than I have ever been even when I was raising 3 girls and working 11 hour days. Then I really enjoyed that time working on the tank.

EDIT: I didn't word this thread properly so please read my apology to all using automation in post #52 before commenting.
I too enjoy messing with my tank and doing things because its just part of the hobby! I do hate cleaning the skimmer though haha but I love my fish so I do it anyway!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too enjoy messing with my tank and doing things because its just part of the hobby! I do hate cleaning the skimmer though haha but I love my fish so I do it anyway!
I don't even hate cleaning the skimmer. I hate breaking it back in after I clean it too well on occasion.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even hate cleaning the skimmer. I hate breaking it back in after I clean it too well on occasion.
It just reminds me of cleaning the sand in freshwater tanks which I HATED

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back