OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had alot of time, money, and emotion invested in something wouldn't you worry about it too?

Same could be said about marriage but you don't see guys posting,

"OMG HELP! my wife left this morning without saying goodbye. I'm worried my relationship is O V E R. I think I will call my lawyer if you guys think I should"

Lmao Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't want to take the time and research on their own on why things may be happening in their tank. We live in a "I need it now!" culture and its sad tbh. I know when I'm having problems in my tank I type in that handy search bar up there and thousands of posts pop up to help me. Not saying I don't enjoy helping people but a lot of the time when I do I find the answer in a couple mins of looking around and am like "cmon lol".
my .02
I think that is a lot of it. I've been in this hobby for 21 years and took a break from forums for about 8 years. When I came on to this site and started seeing how things are run today I started to read the trends and fixed the issues with my tank without posting. I'm curious how many noobs are using a phone to ask questions vs sitting at a desk and firing up the desktop. That phone is right there all the time, easy to make a quick post.

Another thing about the worry I think is noobs see pretty much any coral is "easy" to take care of, just follow these steps vs. when I started when you were excited to have xenia thrive. I think noobs want the challenging corals when in reality they really should be trying the weed corals, even though many including myself will say they will take over your tank in no time.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit up R2R almost every evening to see what all the talk is about...

Anyone noticing over the last few months the Threads of people posting all these worries and concerns they have, is on the rise?

What's up on why a lot of people are worried about the smallest things?

well my toaster just doesn't seem to be browning my bagels like it used to. so i thought because it's plugged into a outlet & my skimmer is plugged into a outlet, my skimmer might stop working right also. do you have any advice on what to do?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my toaster just doesn't seem to be browning my bagels like it used to. so i thought because it's plugged into a outlet & my skimmer is plugged into a outlet, my skimmer might stop working right also. do you have any advice on what to do?
Does your toaster have a bagel button? Mine does, if I don't hit that, then it browns both sides like a slice of bread, HTH.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your toaster have a bagel button? Mine does, if I don't hit that, then it browns both sides like a slice of bread, HTH.
oh wow is that what that button is for? i never realized it. i just tried it & it works prefect now, thanks so much.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh wow is that what that button is for? i never realized it. i just tried it & it works prefect now, thanks so much.
:D:D:D

I´m not worried about the questions people have - nobs or not nobs - I much more concerned over many of the answers. They are all between panic - 100 % WC, how could you be as dumb as that, just go fallow at least 8 months, I waited 4 months before any fish was introduced, ju must make the aquarium pest free - otherwise you will end up walking in the valley of the shadow of death for rest of your life - to you will end up fine, there is not something like cycling, just trust seneye, hydrogen peroxide and read this 50 page working thread and if the fish die - read the disease forums.

If i had started my aquatic career during the time of the holy internet - I had run to the forest and hide my self

Sincerely Lasse

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I´m not worried about the questions people have - nobs or not nobs - I much more concerned over many of the answers. They are all between panic - 100 % WC, how could you be as dumb as that, just go fallow at least 8 months, I waited 4 months before any fish was introduced, ju must make the aquarium pest free - otherwise you will end up walking in the valley of the shadow of death for rest of your life - to you will end up fine, there is not something like cycling, just trust seneye, hydrogen peroxide and read this 50 page working thread and if the fish die - read the disease forums.

If i had started my aquatic career during the time of the holy internet - I had run to the forest and hide my self

Sincerely Lasse
But the fairy queen riding the unicorn sprinkling magic dust said I didn't need to cycle my tank. Just dump the magic bottle in & load it full of fish & acro's the same day. That sure sounds better than all that, wait until my tank is cycled stuff.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the bagel button. I never knew about this advance in technology. How do I know which side gets browned when I push the bagel button? Does the Apex scan the bagel and auto-brown the correct side?

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how much information is out there about this hobby, I'm surprised people even start a thread asking a question. Other than contributing to a build thread or hopping in one of the threads where people have normal conversations, there's just not much to really to do in the forums at this point.

I think what it comes down to is that people really really don't want to do their own research or think that anything older than a day is considered "history" and massive things have changed since then, and maybe their problem is somehow new.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Filtering through all the advice requires almost as much knowledge as running a tank on its own. Everyone has a system, and everyone is convinced that their system is the best one. From the full-quarantine with multiple tank switches to no-quarantine and just slap some mud in your system (and yes, I realize I'm grossly oversimplifying the extremes of both camps), whatever advice someone espouses you can be sure that someone will give the opposite advice.

In some ways it was easier when we had to read books and experiment to figure out what worked. Less noise, easier to find a signal... with the flip side that it was harder to find successful and useful information that fell outside of the orthodoxy. Nowadays you get EVERYTHING when you ask for advice.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how much information is out there about this hobby, I'm surprised people even start a thread asking a question. Other than contributing to a build thread or hopping in one of the threads where people have normal conversations, there's just not much to really to do in the forums at this point.

I think what it comes down to is that people really really don't want to do their own research or think that anything older than a day is considered "history" and massive things have changed since then, and maybe their problem is somehow new.
I remember having a magazine subscription to Field and Stream in my youth, read every article about fishing, after a few years I realized there were only so many ways to catch a bass and the articles would regenerate after awhile.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most businesses profit off of wants and not needs. My garage is testament to all of the things that i bought that thought I needed. Only when I realized that there were numerous lights, skimmers, pumps etc. that worked well and started focusing on water quality that I started realizing "success" in this hobby.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a lot of it. I've been in this hobby for 21 years and took a break from forums for about 8 years. When I came on to this site and started seeing how things are run today I started to read the trends and fixed the issues with my tank without posting. I'm curious how many noobs are using a phone to ask questions vs sitting at a desk and firing up the desktop. That phone is right there all the time, easy to make a quick post.

Another thing about the worry I think is noobs see pretty much any coral is "easy" to take care of, just follow these steps vs. when I started when you were excited to have xenia thrive. I think noobs want the challenging corals when in reality they really should be trying the weed corals, even though many including myself will say they will take over your tank in no time.

A tank packed with those weed corals looks better than a tank full of 1/2" brown acro frags. If I was just starting out in the hobby, it would be a tank full of softies for me.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Skin Care Beauty GIF by Molecool

Red Sea or Seachem needs to develop a pill you throw in a tank that's 2 weeks old.....and instantly get this:

2Q==.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know that there are many threads on this site to look up before bothering other members but starting things for the first time in an aquarium is daunting. R2R members have been great assisting with my successful aquarium!

I started an Oxydator based on threads I read on this site but still needed to ask some questions to get started. @Lasse and others were very kind in taking the time to clearly explain answers and now I’m thrilled with the benefits from my Oxydator!

Know that there are plenty of things to worry about but this site has provided me with a great place to learn and ask questions. One less thing to worry about...

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same could be said about marriage but you don't see guys posting,

"OMG HELP! my wife left this morning without saying goodbye. I'm worried my relationship is O V E R. I think I will call my lawyer if you guys think I should"

lol Lol GIF by reactionseditor
I mean, if someone was new to relationships PERIOD that would be a fair question, even if it sounds ridiculous. I think a better analogy is a car making a strange noise or a check engine light. Sometimes when things go wrong In a reef, they go wrong extremely quickly. I don't blame people for worrying. Mistakes in this hobby can be costly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back