Why are Y'all so worried?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit up R2R almost every evening to see what all the talk is about...

Anyone noticing over the last few months the Threads of people posting all these worries and concerns they have, is on the rise?

What's up on why a lot of people are worried about the smallest things?

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyone noticing over the last few months the Threads of people posting all these worries and concerns they have, is on the rise?

I thought hobbies were to be enjoyable, NOT another activity in one's life to be all stressed out about.

Because pandemic boredom and too much cash available has allowed a hoard of beginners to buy monitoring gear with 24/7 alert messages.

"Oh no, my alkalinity dropped from 7.9 to 7.8 and my pH went from 8.07 to 7.99. Should I buy a CO2 scrubber and start dosing because I'm concerned about precipitation."

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reality set in the people got scared that maybe things were not ok like they had been told it would be.

Devil Prank GIF

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because pandemic boredom and too much cash available has allowed a hoard of beginners to buy monitoring gear with 24/7 alert messages.

"Oh no, my alkalinity dropped from 7.9 to 7.8 and my pH went from 8.07 to 7.99. Should I buy a CO2 scrubber and start dosing because I'm concerned about precipitation."

It's crazy how many tanks there are with super fancy sumps/cabinets/control boards/automation but the tank itself looks horrible.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are home more as well and looking at their tanks more. Now they are seeing some of the weird, but normal occurrences that they otherwise would have missed while at work.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a day goes by where there isn't someone freaking out over the algae growth in a 4 month old tank. Followed by every extreme measure out there to combat the issue that isn't even there.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

'Hive mind' mentality initiated by the frequent viewing of social media posts (one person freaks out and then a whole host of others are influenced). Can happen really easily when one starts off in this hobby with limited knowledge and experience.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of Snowflakes around ;)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see that too. I don't like to open the major problem posts, because I feel opening the posts are like opening Pandora's box. If I open the post, I think to myself, I might get what they are talking about into my own aquarium. I know it's dumb to think like that, but I guess I'm a bit superstitious, lol
I don't open ICH, velvet, cloudy tank posts or melting this and/or that posts, lol.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy how many tanks there are with super fancy sumps/cabinets/control boards/automation but the tank itself looks horrible.
I just go with the flow literally lol I maybe check my levels once every other week. Most people can tell when corals are upset or water quality is bad.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the "it's the new people" sentiment because I'm one of them. It's new, we don't know what we're doing, and you guys have answers to the questions. Someone should make a brstv-like 5 min guide - except it shows all the things that go wrong and sets expectations WAY lower. Right now, it's "buy all this expensive gear, and poof magic your tank will look like this awesome wall to wall SPS tank reeferguywith15yearsexperience has built" ;)

It'll settle down I think.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube can make it look way to easy if you have all the most recent and expensive products. Even if people do do that, the outcome will eventually fail because we all end up with issues big, small, experienced and noobs. We are all here to help, which makes R2R the go to for saltwater information. I find this site to be my most reliable source of information, but I do also like watching YouTube videos, never enough information, just have to understand where the information is coming from, be it sales, marketing, or hobbiest or hobbiest with a paid sponsor.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the "it's the new people" sentiment because I'm one of them. It's new, we don't know what we're doing, and you guys have answers to the questions. Someone should make a brstv-like 5 min guide - except it shows all the things that go wrong and sets expectations WAY lower. Right now, it's "buy all this expensive gear, and poof magic your tank will look like this awesome wall to wall SPS tank reeferguywith15yearsexperience has built" ;)

It'll settle down I think.

It really doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. BRS makes alot of money selling that expensive gear so of course they're going to recommend it. And rightfully so, alot of it is good gear. The notion that it's all necessary is wrong though.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't want to take the time and research on their own on why things may be happening in their tank. We live in a "I need it now!" culture and its sad tbh. I know when I'm having problems in my tank I type in that handy search bar up there and thousands of posts pop up to help me. Not saying I don't enjoy helping people but a lot of the time when I do I find the answer in a couple mins of looking around and am like "cmon lol".
my .02

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past year and a half has made huge swaths of the population very, very, very, very anxious. It's also given people money and time to spend on things that they've never tried before. Couple that with a hobby that is often trying, mysterious and poorly understood, and you have a recipe for people freaking out that their tank is going to crash.

Additionally, people are used to the instant-results experience with technology, where you can immediately see the impact of your actions. They're not used to the wait-it-out mentality that is often required to keep reef tanks. So when anything is out of the ordinary, they don't know whether it's something to worry about, and they don't know how long it should take before interventions take hold.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back