Why are Y'all so worried?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and google my question with “reef” behind it so it returns forum results from the big forums and I read through threads on each to look for consensus and also take into account anecdotes. I dive deeper into build threads of reefers who run systems and get the results I want to get. They are my mentors and don’t know it. I will usually still post my question for more current opinions because I feel like tech and available products are making important and relevant advances in the hobby that aren’t captured in the older threads.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most challenging hobbies out there. Think about all the different types of know-how one needs to be a "master reef keeper": chemistry, biology (at least 6 distinct sub-fields), plumbing, electrical---the list can go on all day. Add to that, people need to have a least half a brain, be able to do simple math, and have reasonable common sense and you then you can figure out easily why so many people are panic posting here. Not to mention that if you get things wrong, living things die. There is that.
Anyway, relevant quote from my doctoral advisor years ago: "Never forget that half the world has below average intelligence---if you disagree with that statement, can you guess which side you're on?"
Edit: I'm not implying that everyone who panic posts has below average intelligence obviously. However, there are plenty who post questions that make me doubt the supposed truism that there are no stupid questions. They still deserve help anyway

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I spent 10k on a saltwater setup and didn’t know anything about keeping a tank, I’d probably be freaking out constantly as well. I don’t understand why people don’t start out small. If you can’t keep 10 gallons of water somewhat stable good luck doing it with 180 gallons and 50 pieces of equipment that you don’t know how to use. I think the go big is better is just a flawed concept for newbies.
My first go a decade ago put me on a path from 2 pieces of Fiji and two pieces of base rock with a pair of clowns and some caulerpa in a 20g to a 90g mixed reef. I'd hate to learn all the le$$on$ needed to run a sps 180g at once.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it seems about normal to me post wise and content. Get seasonal variations as people enter/exit and regain interest in their tanks. The rise of FB groups has been interesting and the amazing amount of terrible advise, but at least in my eyes the forum content isn’t all that different. New people asking questions, old members complaining about it and saying use the search bar! Don’t take random advise, make sure the member is qualified! - seems like this cycle has been there since compuserve then RC even back in the late 90’s. Thankfully this forum is moderated better which perhaps makes new people feel more comfortable not getting attacked for basic questions which seemed to be the downfall of other forums.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it seems about normal to me post wise and content. Get seasonal variations as people enter/exit and regain interest in their tanks. The rise of FB groups has been interesting and the amazing amount of terrible advise, but at least in my eyes the forum content isn’t all that different. New people asking questions, old members complaining about it and saying use the search bar! Don’t take random advise, make sure the member is qualified! - seems like this cycle has been there since compuserve then RC even back in the late 90’s. Thankfully this forum is moderated better which perhaps makes new people feel more comfortable not getting attacked for basic questions which seemed to be the downfall of other forums.
Good ol' RC. It taught me to read before asking a basic question but sure had some negatives too. When I got back into the hobby this winter I found it to be a ghost town and came over here. The newbs asking about cycles and old salts whining about them has never changed.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second tank but the truth is I still feel like I have no idea what I’m doing. I piece as much as I can together through research, watching videos, and reading forums but as things go with this hobby, searching for answers to any problem often pulls up responses specific to someone else’s tank. I always end my reefing google searches with “reef2reef” cause I’m sure there’s already a thread about exactly what I’m searching for but sometimes as a beginner you just need people to look at exactly what you’re working with and what your numbers are to tell you where things might be a little off. I made one of those obnoxious “help algae!” Posts recently and after just a couple of weeks following the advice I was given ive already seen significant improvements. It might just be a blessing and a curse that this forum is the go to forum for a lot of people in this hobby because you cannot beat the wealth of knowledge found here.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit up R2R almost every evening to see what all the talk is about...

Anyone noticing over the last few months the Threads of people posting all these worries and concerns they have, is on the rise?

What's up on why a lot of people are worried about the smallest things?

It certainly seems so.

I’m new, but don’t worry much about things. I watched the BRS 5-minute guides before I got started and just planned for various things that seem inevitable. Having a plan to act is better than reacting, panicking, and making things worse.

If you’re new to the hobby, I definitely recommend the guides.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the majority of it is new people who are doing their best to learn and adapt as they go through this experience. We are SOOOO fortunate today that we have a resource as valuable as the internet. Back in the early 90s when I first attempted saltwater, I had to rely on books, magazines, and LFS staff (the least effective) The biggest problem was, if you don't know the questions to ask, how do you know where to look for an answer? This lack of quality information sources led me to waste a LOT of money, kill a lot of unfortunate livestock, and ultimately give up on saltwater altogether.

As a family, we should be trying together as a team to help guide everyone through this process. We should be doing our best to help them understand not only how to fix their problem, but WHY they have it in the first place. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure methodology.

Personally I have a lot of sympathy for the newcomers to our shared passion. I am still relatively new to the reef side of aquarium keeping myself. I have had freshwater tanks for decades so I am a lot more resistant to those snap panic scenarios that other people, who don't have my experience, worry about.

I also agree that, while the new technology available to make reef keeping as automated as possible, does NOT make for a better reef. Diligence, patience, more diligence, and a WHOLE bucketfull more patience is what makes a reef great. Did nature build that reef in a day? We ALL want that beautiful tank we see in the videos. It doesn't happen fast. It takes years of hard work and sweat to recreate that. Save your money, LEARN the basics the way nature intended. trial, error, and hard work. You didn't jump on that first bicycle and ride off into the sunset.. you fell, got scraped knees and elbows, and tried again.

Let's all just remember, we all were that newbie once. There are no stupid questions. The only stupid question is the one never asked that kills a tank.
Very well said!

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously can’t speak for the other newbs out there, but I joined this forum, not only for the valuable information, but for the emotional support of fellow, older, more experienced reefers in a potentially rewarding but also potentially very stressful hobby. Without most of you guys, I would have already thrown in the towel and I’m only a few months in.

I know that Google has a lot to say about most things, but sometimes I also question what Google tells me and would rather discuss it with folks who have first hand experience with whatever it may be. Sooooo, I guess that stinks if my newbie posts irritate any of you, but I promise you that’s not my intention and I will more than likely continue to post eye-roll-inducing threads.....and I’m not sorry ;)
Don't worry it's all good. after a while on the forum everyone starts to figure out who the practical joker's are just like school or work. I started in the aquarium/fishkeeping back in 1981 then there was two methods, old school and old school. Oh wait that's just one method lol. It was a small amount of guidance and a huge amount of trial and error. We were all lost in the woods without a compass, none of us truly knew what we were doing. There was no internet, you had to trust the LFS to lead you. Boy oh boy I sure wish there was a R2R back then. You will be leaps and bounds more knowledgeable at 1 year in the hobby than any of us a year after we set up that first tank back in the day. Don't let the attempt at light hearted poking fun in threads like this discourage you. There's always a practical joker in the group it's the universe balancing the scales.

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry it's all good. after a while on the forum everyone starts to figure out who the practical joker's are just like school or work. I started in the aquarium/fishkeeping back in 1981 then there was two methods, old school and old school. Oh wait that's just one method lol. It was a small amount of guidance and a huge amount of trial and error. We were all lost in the woods without a compass, none of us truly knew what we were doing, & don't let anyone tell you different. There was no internet, you had to trust the LFS to lead you. Boy oh boy I sure wish there was a R2R back then. You will be leaps and bounds more knowledgeable at 1 year in the hobby than any of us a year after we set up that first tank back in the day. Don't let the attempt at light hearted poking fun in threads like this discourage you. There's always a practical joker in the group it's the universe balancing the scales.

For sure. Hopefully everyone reading knows this is all light hearted. A cursory Google search is a great idea but most of us that have been around a while are more than willing to help when we can.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Hopefully everyone reading knows this is all light hearted. A cursory Google search is a great idea but most of us that have been around a while are more than willing to help when we can.
Is "been around a while" code for "old"? Now I'm worried that I'm old. How do I find out if I'm old? All my parameters are correct, I swear!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back