Why can't I keep a lion?

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR with predatory fish. I know this is too small - will be upgraded as the fish grow. I have a small volitan that is doing great, but any other type of lion I try dies after about 3 days. Looks and acts fine, eats and everything, then just dies. No signs of disease, no rapid breathing, no red gills, no signs of what is wrong...

Everything I read says they are hardy fish but I am having some kind of trouble trying to keep them. All other fish in the tank are fine including a porcupine puffer I have had for months now. In the past - those have been hard for me to keep healthy so I am at a loss with the lions. LFS has no suggestions and says he cannot keep lions either. Ph 8.1, no ammonia or nitrites. Nitrite around 20.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR with predatory fish. I know this is too small - will be upgraded as the fish grow. I have a small volitan that is doing great, but any other type of lion I try dies after about 3 days. Looks and acts fine, eats and everything, then just dies. No signs of disease, no rapid breathing, no red gills, no signs of what is wrong...

Everything I read says they are hardy fish but I am having some kind of trouble trying to keep them. All other fish in the tank are fine including a porcupine puffer I have had for months now. In the past - those have been hard for me to keep healthy so I am at a loss with the lions. LFS has no suggestions and says he cannot keep lions either. Ph 8.1, no ammonia or nitrites. Nitrite around 20.
Are they eating for you and what are you feeding them.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try longer accumulation process, I'm sure this will be more beneficial for any new life.
Also I would question why you asked lfs for advice and guidance and return answers was same...
You both can not support this type of fish?

OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try longer accumulation process, I'm sure this will be more beneficial for any new life.
Also I would question why you asked lfs for advice and guidance and return answers was same...
You both can not support this type of fish?
Not sure what you are asking - the owner at the lfs said he has also had trouble keeping lions so he doesn't keep them either. Do you think acclimation is the issue when they live for three days and all the other fish are fine? How ling would you acclimate them for?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability of system?, water change intervals, basic tank maintenance schedules will help the community solve your recurring problem.
Possibly copper in the water, maybe your original lion is able to tolerate it, unlike the new lions.
If your LFS can't keep lions, then maybe its the source he's buying from, and its not your fault at all,
try another LFS if possible.
Maybe this local fish store is keeping them in copper and then they are dying on you and his other customers as well.
Copper is a slower poisoning not instant.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are asking - the owner at the lfs said he has also had trouble keeping lions so he doesn't keep them either. Do you think acclimation is the issue when they live for three days and all the other fish are fine? How ling would you acclimate them for?
No unfortunately I think the issue is alot bigger, I only suggested acclimating time to increase due to inbalalance

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lionfish are really easy to keep fish, i got one in my reef tank for about a year, sold it after he almost swallowed most of the smaller fishs lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Would be the one to ask.

My initial instinct says, copper in the LFS system, but from what I have read, death in a few days seems really fast for that issue.

I defer to the expert on this one.

Good luck

OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability of system?, water change intervals, basic tank maintenance schedules will help the community solve your recurring problem.
Possibly copper in the water, maybe your original lion is able to tolerate it, unlike the new lions.
If your LFS can't keep lions, then maybe its the source he's buying from, and its not your fault at all,
try another LFS if possible.
Maybe this local fish store is keeping them in copper and then they are dying on you and his other customers as well.
Copper is a slower poisoning not instant.
Not used any copper in the tank. I’ve gotten mine from several sources although online so they had to be shipped. I do about a 20 gallon change every other week and vacuum out the substrate. I’ve got a uv sterilizer and protein skimmer. I did have the tank running hypo. I’m in the process of bringing it back up. I was concerned about too much flow so I’ve turned off my mp40 and just running the return pump now, the other fish swim around fine and the lions could grab onto the rock just fine, plus they can get under the ledges. I left the lights off on the days when I added one until the following day so they could better acclimate.

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have a problem to sustain life of a lion, your LFS has a problem as you said in your post (which I doubt as you would not of purchased) I wold think to look after your aquarium life and do more research into care of a lionfish.
LFS care for all species and this is Thier passion and income.
Not your LFS store it's your negligence :(

OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lionfish are really easy to keep fish, i got one in my reef tank for about a year, sold it after he almost swallowed most of the smaller fishs lol
That’s what everyone says. That’s why I’m at a loss. I’ve got three other tanks going and not having this kind of issue with anyone, even the other fish in this tank - just lions.

OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a problem to sustain life of a lion, your LFS has a problem as you said in your post (which I doubt as you would not of purchased) I wold think to look after your aquarium life and do more research into care of a lionfish.
LFS care for all species and this is Thier passion and income.
Not your LFS store it's your negligence :(
I’ve done my research and I think you are jumping to conclusions. The owner of the lfs said he can’t keep lions in his own home tank, The ones he gets at the store are fine of course he doesn’t keep them long there, they sell them. Anyway I’m on here asking for advice, not abuse. I am far from negligent and you don’t know me will enough to say that.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done my research and I think you are jumping to conclusions. The owner of the lfs said he can’t keep lions in his own home tank, The I’ve he gets at the store are fine of course he doesn’t keep them long there, they sell them.
Yes your correct

OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• CA83BCD7-4D01-46BD-836F-40C98BD04CE3.jpeg
    CA83BCD7-4D01-46BD-836F-40C98BD04CE3.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 17C13B8E-1604-49AF-AB12-9CA68C84B258.jpeg
    17C13B8E-1604-49AF-AB12-9CA68C84B258.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
zaidalin79

zaidalin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the tank and the volitan that’s doing great. He eats from my tongs and is very active, especially at feeding time and dusk.

Back