Why cant u keep sps?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with all dead dry rock however i seed it since the beginning with additional bacteria and within 2.5 years since start i can grow most if my frags to colony size.
Every problem tank thread the question never get to ask is do u dose additional beneficial bacteria?

Good thread. Can you describe what you did and how you seed it with additional bacteria? You said you are using the Zeovit method, but are you seeding additional bacteria?

For the past several months, I have been thinking that much of my issues are probably microbe/bacteria related, and would likely require adding beneficial bacteria/microbes. So any help would be appreciated.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a difference between keeping sps and keeping them successfully. like having good color and growth.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread. Can you describe what you did and how you seed it with additional bacteria? You said you are using the Zeovit method, but are you seeding additional bacteria?

For the past several months, I have been thinking that much of my issues are probably microbe/bacteria related, and would likely require adding beneficial bacteria/microbes. So any help would be appreciated.

Sorry I know I may be interfering but just getting bacteria wouldn’t be enough you need to look at foods for the bacteria also like the op has a full program around the bacteria needs. (Zeovit)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Zeovit has a very good bacteria dosing thats all i used. Between zeobak and zeostart3 will provide all the different strain of bacteria. I dose this 2 from the beginning until now.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was too many leathers not playing nice with the chemical warfare in the tank. Got rid of more than half and it helped a bit.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeovit has a very good bacteria dosing thats all i used. Between zeobak and zeostart3 will provide all the different strain of bacteria. I dose this 2 from the beginning until now.
Not real familiar with zeovit. Will dosing zeobak and zeostart have negative effects of your not doing the zeovit method? Currently running Triton.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I know I may be interfering but just getting bacteria wouldn’t be enough you need to look at foods for the bacteria also like the op has a full program around the bacteria needs. (Zeovit)
Yes i dose zeobak which is bacteria and zeostart3 which is the food. However bacteria also consume phosphate and nitrate in your tank then the corals eat them so u create a perfect ecology to help your tank chemistry and also feeding your corals. Remember corals eat all the time in the ocean not only at night

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it was too many leathers not playing nice with the chemical warfare in the tank. Got rid of more than half and it helped a bit.
Yes mix reef is not easy to maintain since parameters are so diverse.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old rock and flying tang turds =

IMG-3835.JPG

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not real familiar with zeovit. Will dosing zeobak and zeostart have negative effects of your not doing the zeovit method? Currently running Triton.
Zeobak n zeostart3 are just the name of the zeovit bacteria. Triton could have their own bacteria but im not familiar with triton.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that BRS can do an experiment on this and see if the different between dry rock and real live rock can make a different in sps keeping.
you seeded with bottled bacteria or you seeded with a small amount of live rock out of the ocean (or established tank that was started out of the ocean)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc
The core part of it was purchased live from LFS in 2008. He was kind enough to sell me sump rock from an older store display reef. It is nothing fancy and nothing all that porous to be honest. But it keeps me lucky. I kinda adopted this old rock philosophy from him. The old school folks knew some stuff. No idea on real origin nor birthdate but he has Been reefing for 25+ years.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you seeded with bottled bacteria or you seeded with a small amount of live rock out of the ocean (or established tank that was started out of the ocean)
I only seed it with bottle bacteria. The live rock from the ocean was banned

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The core part of it was purchased live from LFS in 2008. He was kind enough to sell me sump rock from an older store display reef. It is nothing fancy and nothing all that porous to be honest. But it keeps me lucky. I kinda adopted this old rock philosophy from him. The old school folks knew some stuff. No idea on real origin nor birthdate but he has Been reefing for 25+ years.
So it could be real live rock that you getting from him. Im just want to figure out the cause of all the later tank set up that fail
Thanks

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sold on the trend right now of LR from the ocean back to being they key to success. Clearly it takes less time for a tank started with LR to be stocked, but personally I have not seen enough evidence of it being key, nor have I really heard compelling evedence of the mechanism of bacterial water column diversity improving sps survival rates. When I started the hobby I used LR in a few tanks and they were terrible, because I was inexperienced.

It seems the hobby has broad swings to and away from various equipment and techniques and it's part of this lastest LR is the key movement.

Fwiw as an experienced hobbiest few years ago I setup this tank (tore down now due to health) it featured no LR, no sand - only ceramic scape. No bacterial boosters or innoculants and it was one of the easiest setups I ever had. And using led only.

LR and bacterial population diversity may vary well be the key, and that system just happened to develop perfectly, however I dont feel we are quite there to make that conclusion.

7A4232A1-754E-4165-8671-287A08B59127.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i dose zeobak which is bacteria and zeostart3 which is the food. However bacteria also consume phosphate and nitrate in your tank then the corals eat them so u create a perfect ecology to help your tank chemistry and also feeding your corals. Remember corals eat all the time in the ocean not only at night

I know but bacteria eats more than just nitrates and phosphorus for example prodígio makes biodigest (bacteria) and Bioptim (bacteria food). Some of the ingredients in the food can’t be found naturally in home aquaria so need adding regularly. Am all for microbe diversity, I think all am saying is for a good heathy microbe population maybe we need to look at adding more ingredients to a reef. Like the zeovit system.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know but bacteria eats more than just nitrates and phosphorus for example prodígio makes biodigest (bacteria) and Bioptim (bacteria food). Some of the ingredients in the food can’t be found naturally in home aquaria so need adding regularly. Am all for microbe diversity, I think all am saying is for a good heathy microbe population maybe we need to look at adding more ingredients to a reef. Like the zeovit system.
Yes my theory regarding tank failing with sps are lacking of diverse bacteria strain.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back