Why cant u keep sps?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an API test, if all other parameters are spot on, it may be a contaminant??
I did supposely the only bad thing i saw was a very high level of antimony at 26. Didnt know antimony was that toxic to corals though, i found out that my 24w green killing machine is the culprit and have since then removed ot and added polyfilter.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ycnibrc welp i tried again and already failing, bought some easy sps like red monti cap an orange setosa and a montipora spongodes ( which i heard is hard to kill ) and after just 5 fays they are already bleaching. This is a picture of the monti cap and orange setosa after just 2 days being in the tank. I checked today and the monti cap is almost co.pletely gone. I know its not due to starvation since my nitrates are at 10ppm and phosphates at 0.10. I also know it cant be the PAR since the red cap is sitting at 200 PAR and thw orange setosa at 180 PAR. Ive been dosing zeobak for the past week.

20200603_204541.jpg 20200603_204546.jpg
How long ago did u start the zeobak?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did u start the zeobak?
Not long tbh since last we spoke over a week ago i know it would not affect anytime soon, its just strange that even easy sps like monti caps die withing a week in my tank when other parameters are super stable.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not long tbh since last we spoke over a week ago i know it would not affect anytime soon, its just strange that even easy sps like monti caps die withing a week in my tank when other parameters are super stable.
What other corals do you have in your tank? Are they doing ok?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals do you have in your tank? Are they doing ok?
My torch corals are doing fine and my xenias and GSP have exploded to the point where ive had to give away some frags. Mushrooms are happy aswell as some zoas ( most zoas melted away though.) Everything else i put dies though, from scolys to blastos, favias, acans,hammers even leptoseris and cyphastreas all slowly die within a month. Some just bleach out while others just turn brown and die. I even tried an acro once and surprisingly thats the one that lasted the most before dying.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch corals are doing fine and my xenias and GSP have exploded to the point where ive had to give away some frags. Mushrooms are happy aswell as some zoas ( most zoas melted away though.) Everything else i put dies though, from scolys to blastos, favias, acans,hammers even leptoseris and cyphastreas all slowly die within a month. Some just bleach out while others just turn brown and die. I even tried an acro once and surprisingly thats the one that lasted the most before dying.
Could be toxins from your dinos or even low nutrients along with it?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be toxins from your dinos or even low nutrients along with it?
Perhaps even though i have been diligent with keeping phosphates readable, this is a chart of my phosphates ( mind you i dose phosphates heavy)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just for experiment can you remove the Xenia to a different tank? Xenia is very good at removal nutrients and it can out compete with other corals also it might release chemical to ****** other corals. If u can try your tank without Xenia for a few weeks and see.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for experiment can you remove the Xenia to a different tank? Xenia is very good at removal nutrients and it can out compete with other corals also it might release chemical to ****** other corals. If u can try your tank without Xenia for a few weeks and see.
I will see if my LFS guy will hold it for me, this is just 1 month after i stood with only 1 head. Also i added a feogspawn just 2 days ago and i already see it aint too happy.
20200604_181339.jpg
20200604_181342.jpg
20200604_181304.jpg 20200604_181259.jpg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will see if my LFS guy will hold it for me, this is just 1 month after i stood with only 1 head. Also i added a feogspawn just 2 days ago and i already see it aint too happy.
20200604_181339.jpg
20200604_181342.jpg
20200604_181304.jpg 20200604_181259.jpg
Do u run carbon? If no then try it for a month see if the condition improve

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u run carbon? If no then try it for a month see if the condition improve
Yea i run ROX 0.8 and change it once a month i also started using polyfilter for the high antimony problem that i have. I guess jist give it more time i alreadu moves the monti cap and others on my frag again all the way to the bottom of the tank just incase they simply receiving too much light although i dont think 200 par is high for those corals.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea i run ROX 0.8 and change it once a month i also started using polyfilter for the high antimony problem that i have. I guess jist give it more time i alreadu moves the monti cap and others on my frag again all the way to the bottom of the tank just incase they simply receiving too much light although i dont think 200 par is high for those corals.
Nah not because of light I had metal halide before switching to led and they were fine. Basically your water chemistry is not good for now. U just need to check all basic parameters and eliminate possibility. What type of salt? Check heater , check power head for rust. Light and flow don't kill corals they make it grow faster or slower. Water chemistry is the main thing.
Make a check list and go through each item and hopefully u can find the culprit

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah not because of light I had metal halide before switching to led and they were fine. Basically your water chemistry is not good for now. U just need to check all basic parameters and eliminate possibility. What type of salt? Check heater , check power head for rust. Light and flow don't kill corals they make it grow faster or slower. Water chemistry is the main thing.
Make a check list and go through each item and hopefully u can find the culprit
Interesting will do a checklist so far the only issue i see is the very high antimony level and found out that the green killing machine UV i was using for dinos startes to rust inside the little motor, other people are reporting the same issue with that UV.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today the montipora is almost a goner aswell as the spongodes montipora. Mond you i put them on the bottom of the tank just incase it was just too much light. What is that brown stuff covering them?

20200605_174735.jpg 20200605_174738.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today the montipora is almost a goner aswell as the spongodes montipora. Mond you i put them on the bottom of the tank just incase it was just too much light. What is that brown stuff covering them?

20200605_174735.jpg 20200605_174738.jpg
I would bet money that dinos are the problem. Since you are using UV does that mean you have ID’d them? Ostreopsis? If you have dinos, I would change the ROX out weekly.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet money that dinos are the problem. Since you are using UV does that mean you have ID’d them? Ostreopsis? If you have dinos, I would change the ROX out weekly.
No i havent ID them and they are all in the sandbed the UV doesnt seem to do anything whcih makes me think that it might be Amphidinum dinos. I didnt know dinos can get on corals and kill them like that. Guess i just gotta leave the tank without corals for a couple of months.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i havent ID them and they are all in the sandbed the UV doesnt seem to do anything whcih makes me think that it might be Amphidinum dinos. I didnt know dinos can get on corals and kill them like that. Guess i just gotta leave the tank without corals for a couple of months.
Amphidinium is what I dealt with too. I think the dinos on corals and simply the toxins in the water can kill corals. That’s why I would replace GAC more frequently. My dino battle was long but eventually they were outcompeted. Good luck and let me know if I can help. Just briefly what I did was make sure I had measurable nitrates and phosphate, used UV, and eventually removed my sand.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphidinium is what I dealt with too. I think the dinos on corals and simply the toxins in the water can kill corals. That’s why I would replace GAC more frequently. My dino battle was long but eventually they were outcompeted. Good luck and let me know if I can help. Just briefly what I did was make sure I had measurable nitrates and phosphate, used UV, and eventually removed my sand.
Yea im currently keeping my phosphates around 0.10 and nitrates at 10-5ppm getting lots of hair algae growing though but i heard thats the lesser of the two evils. I had to remove my chaeto since it was dyijg fast.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back