Why do my blennies keep jumping out?

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question, but ive had 6 blennies jump out.

I have a lid, but someone they cheat the physics and jump.

Does anyone know why? I really hate how these poor little guys keep jumping out.
(1) Midas
(2) Blue Spot (one has survived)
(2) Red spot
(1) Lawnmower

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny that loves to jump out of the water near my return nozzle. I've covered up EVERY opening. There's duck tape where the wires and return go in. Even a little opening is enough for them to jump through. Have no clue how they can get through suck tiny holes but they do. My advice is to get some duck tape and make sure every little hole or opening is covered. When you use the duck tape make sure there's no sticky side pointing down. Last thing you want is the fish to get stuck to the tape. Fold a piece of tape then tape that down. My 2 cents anyway.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble with Firefish jumping out when I used tops with 1/4" mesh. I changed to 1/8" mesh and problem solved.

OP
OP
BlenniesAndTangs

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny that loves to jump out of the water near my return nozzle. I've covered up EVERY opening. There's duck tape where the wires and return go in. Even a little opening is enough for them to jump through. Have no clue how they can get through suck tiny holes but they do. My advice is to get some duck tape and make sure every little hole or opening is covered. When you use the duck tape make sure there's no sticky side pointing down. Last thing you want is the fish to get stuck to the tape. Fold a piece of tape then tape that down. My 2 cents anyway.
Today my baby red spot jumped out, he had slept in a position where the opening was above him (those lid parts to close the opening kept falling in the tank) and there a power outage this morning. All of my blennies that had jumped out has such a happy,affectionate playful personality that they couldve just done it on accident just by hyping themselves up, They probably had no idea what was going on. My bicolour blenny has been with me since March (i got him for my birthday) and he clearly knows because im sure hes seen his friends jump out and now hes just like ''Okay, I'm not jumping.''

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does anyone know why? I really hate how these poor little guys keep jumping out.
(1) Midas
(2) Red spot
(1) Lawnmower

They are just jumpers… hyper and easily spooked and rocket shaped. They can’t really jump out of the ocean and they don’t know jumping is death for them in your tank. A tight fitting lid with 1/4 inch mesh should fix it.

I used to have a Midas that would jump out of the feeding door as I opened it. Hit me right in the face one time lol He was just THAT excited during food time.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(1) Midas
(2) Red spot
(1) Lawnmower
First off, I’m sorry. I have a Houdini that I routinely find in the filter floss or sump so I feel your pain lol except he doesn’t die because I “plan” for it…sorta. I would be checking for stray voltage, or current, that could be them wanting to gtfu of that tank.

OP
OP
BlenniesAndTangs

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I’m sorry. I have a Houdini that I routinely find in the filter floss or sump so I feel your pain lol except he doesn’t die because I “plan” for it…sorta. I would be checking for stray voltage, or current, that could be them wanting to gtfu of that tank.
Nearly all of them got bullied by bigger fish such as my lemonpeel bullying my baby red spot. So they have been forced to swim at the top. Bicolour blenny gets sorta picked on, but hes just a blenny sitting in his 4 totally different holes around the tank, sitting in the filter/pump (not sure what it is) when its off, he's been in 3 different sized tanks.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly all of them got bullied by bigger fish such as my lemonpeel bullying my baby red spot. So they have been forced to swim at the top. Bicolour blenny gets sorta picked on, but hes just a blenny sitting in his 4 totally different holes around the tank, sitting in the filter/pump (not sure what it is) when its off, he's been in 3 different sized tanks.
So you already know why he is jumping then…

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back