OP
OP
N

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at least for now until I can research disease treatment further I will just leave the remaining three fish undisturbed for a while and see if any symptoms of disease show up. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should rehome to someone who knows how to treat disease and let my system fallow?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great post so far, it’s showing willingness on your part to consider options and soon it will collect best practices recommended by fish owners. As long as coming claims made can literally be found in action in the disease forum, the #1 active place to study for disease patterns, the recommends will truly be best practices

the thing to watch out for in disease prep recommend study is for any claim that directly opposes the outcomes you see daily in the FDF

when a stated outcome seems to run contrary to that forum, and it’s advisor doesn’t have any current work threads with endpoints to inspect in the FDF, be skeptical of the claim. Not the ability of that poster to own a beautiful reef, be skeptical of it’s repeatability

when easy methods become repeatable the FDF slows to a halt.

the way you know if you should pause + leave current fish in the tank is by having a direct link you can link here showing that to be the best option, given known vectors and responses so far.

see how it’s really really hard to find that as an option from the stickies in the FDF?

keeping marine fish ethically is *that* challenging lol. It’s so nice as a coral-only pico reefer not to be part of fish wasting issue, cuz that’s a hot button issue. Simply producing so much coral it has to be removed and fragged over and over is never offensive to anyone.

Last edited:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did say you had corals they do give off toxins. The only way to get rid of them is charcoal or carbon put 3 table spoons in your canister every two weeks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon

youve been hitting the high marks on content today / moving along creative input

I expected much more detailed writing considering your experiences / years managing other folk’s reefs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 30 gallon set up since november. I have lost a tangoroa goby, two Midas blennies, a blackcap Basslet and all of the sudden one of my saddleback clowns just died. I’ve had the pair of clowns since January no problems. Please help any input would be much appreciated. What keep happening to my fish?
I read through the this post. I would say that since your invertebrates are doing well, the issue is most likely fish diseases, and at that, probably multiple issues. However, it could be other issues. I had a few cases where the aquarist was so worried about nutrient influx, they actually starved their fish. In other cases, new aquarists may miss some symptoms, like rapid breathing.
At this point, I would suggest running the tank with the remaining fish for at least 6 weeks, and properly quarantine all new fish going forward. My quarantine protocol is at the to of the fish disease section here.
Jay

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Garf what was your recommend on the matter, wanted to have it for compare and contrast to items on file. I had scrolled up, and back, and didn’t see any clear stance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will leave the remaining fish be for about a month. If all goes well should I continue to add fish (this time quarantining)?
There's also options out there for purchasing fish that have already been quarantined if you don't feel like dealing with it. Check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent recommend.

Dr. Reef here is someone I readily recommend for the same reasons, not that I have to buy fish or own them Lowell to spot a local poster long respected who runs a pre quarantined fish business...

The feedback from his sales are outstanding and logged by our forum posters here locally. Meeting him in person and chatting shortly about what he does aligned well with years of his online posts, that stood out to me as well. I recommend getting his input regarding online pre quarantined fish trading

OP
OP
N

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also options out there for purchasing fish that have already been quarantined if you don't feel like dealing with it. Check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com
Yeah I’ve heard of him before sounds great. I also have a place near me called reef escape that only sells quarantined fish. I have two great options for the future

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any lfs doing this is cutting edge, my local shops don’t do it. It’s a fair and decent tax for a lfs to not move stock in and out quickly and compete with sources that do. Supporting that as a buyer locally when possible is a big deal.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sucks is not knowing what the problem is. Would be nice to know. I know it is not my tank but information is key in this hobby.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back