Why do socks get a bad rap?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran socks for almost 2 years in my 125 gallon.

The ONLY reason why I stopped using them is because I got a blue Mandarin dragonet and the socks were trapping the copepods.
I use em also,,, it goes sock, UV pump to protein skimmer then Cheato finally thru a sponge filter into return,, my only problem is I only have 5 socks,, need to get more. Oh and I like the mesh ones better

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran socks for almost 2 years in my 125 gallon.

The ONLY reason why I stopped using them is because I got a blue Mandarin dragonet and the socks were trapping the copepods.

We don’t seem to have an issue with the pods not going into the tank. They’re everywhere.

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my socks, they are a pain to clean but I recently went to mesh and it's a trade off. The felt ones capture so much but are a pain to clean. The mesh socks don't catch quite as much but a quick rinse gets them clean.

I get them in a 10 pack from my local store

Saltdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think anything about them. I had on my old tank. Then I didn't use on the new one. One day I thought I will just see what it does. It was like looking at my tank in HD. It really polishes up the water. I will never go sock less again. Best thing for the money.

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a C.A.D.S filter cloth roller by Seavisions and love it. I used socks in the past but changed for ease of maintenance. Filter roll lasts me about 6 months.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
forever! I like the water crystal clear ... also I have heavy bio load, i Feed the filter feeders.

would change my sock once a week. Will now do every 3 days see what happens.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think filter socks are probably the most cost efficient method of mechanical filtration. I replace them twice a week (like others have said, I have a collection of them that I save up until I need to wash them about once a month). I think it's probably important to mention the different micron levels available. I've seen a range of 5 to 500 micron available (5 micron is too fine and going to clog rapidly in most systems and 500 micron is so course, it's not going to catch much of anything). I prefer to buy 100 micron socks but would assume they loose some efficiency as they age and go thru the laundry. I also run a protein skimmer after the sock section of my sump.

My feeling is that people that don't change them until they're overflowing are probably doing it wrong (either letting them get too dirty or maybe have too much flow for the size/number of socks in their system).

Filter wheels look interesting but seem like they would be expensive for me to operate since the media is not reusable.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?

I ditched my socks, but have now brought them back. Pain to clean, but easier to put them into the washing machine than my tank. Keeps my fuge much cleaner.

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. They are easier to deal with than filter floss. I think you need some kind of mechanical filtration. They are not the big of a deal to change out. I like doing maintenance on y tank. It gives me more time to enjoy it. cleaning them up is easy, change out as needed and when you get down to a few left. through them in the washer and be done with them.

They are widely used by many successful reefers. WWC is one of them.

Robert D'Amaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My klir 4 inch in the front hole of a waterbox 130.4 sump and a 200 micron mesh sock in the first hole. I clean and replace the sock about once a week by just rinsing in sink. Change the klir roll
15862274640196803607294239101533.jpg
every 1.5 months. works great low maintenance.

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 90g tank (5 weeks) with very little bioload ( < 6” total fish body, plus a shrimp). I feed twice a day, lightly, mostly eaten. Yet my BRS felt socks now clog up quickly, sometimes in less than a day. When they were new they lasted maybe 3 days. After washing they last much less time. Why? They aren’t collecting anything visible.

I have just ordered mesh socks. Maybe a better option for now.

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?
I use socks also, water is much clearer when i do. Also it keeps all the junk out of refugium algae, nice and clean is what i like. On washing issue, i just use a half cup of vinegar, no bleach, no detergent, just vinegar , they look new when removed from washer. Give it a try!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the kind of tank you're trying to maintain.

For a tank with a refugeum, sox are unnecessary, even detrimental, IHMO. I've run many tanks, for decades, without sox. Never missed them.

Today, i'm running a zeovit system. Nitrates at <3, Phosphate at <0.05. Sox help me maintain pristine water conditions. I change them every other day. Add in a very efficient skimmer, bare bottom, high flow... tons of light (2x Kessel Ap700's + 4x 54w T5's)... Totally different type of system than I've run before, and sox are an important part of the system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back