Why do you have fish?

If you had to choose only one way to describe the reason you have fish, what would it be?

• My fish are my pets. I am attached to them.

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • My fish are living art, not pets

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish exist to introduce nutrients and potentially as clean up crew only.

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is a FISH tank without FISH ?? Additionally, they are ornamental, colorful and provide benefits to our enclosed eco-system

Freshwater colorful =
Cardinal+tetra+photo.jpg

saltwater colorful=
th

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are the main reason I have reef tanks. The reef is merely an enviroment to enhance the fishes' lives. Although I have grown to love coral and macro algeas, fish are still my 1st love.

Generally I am drawn to personality fish or dramatic fish. Right now I have a blenny/goby tank and a seahorse tank so lots of persaonality there. I used to keep puffers, eels and lionfish in my FOWLR days and early reef days. I just find it gratifying when my fish beg food, it makes me feel loved, ha ha!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case Bird Box becomes real, my family and i will have food for 1/4 of a day.

I prefer fish over corals. Corals are beautiful, and i do keep them but if i had to choose i like the interaction with my fish more. Each one has a personality of it's own. Some so much that i can hand feed, my CCB will let me touch it. However some others are duds ;Hilarious. My black cap basslet and i have a special bond. Ever since venting his swim blatter and saving his life i swear he knows it. He will come out of his cave and just look at me when i approach the tank, wont do that with anyone else. He will swim back into his cave with others. - Or there's the possibility a few screws are lose in my head :confused:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case Bird Box becomes real, my family and i will have food for 1/4 of a day.

I prefer fish over corals. Corals are beautiful, and i do keep them but if i had to choose i like the interaction with my fish more. Each one has a personality of it's own. Some so much that i can hand feed, my CCB will let me touch it. However some others are duds ;Hilarious. My black cap basslet and i have a special bond. Ever since venting his swim blatter and saving his life i swear he knows it. He will come out of his cave and just look at me when i approach the tank, wont do that with anyone else. He will swim back into his cave with others. - Or there's the possibility a few screws are lose in my head :confused:

Saltwater fish have interesting personalities (as a whole much more interesting than freshwater). Mine can tell the difference between me and my wife. If they see my wife around feeding time they head for the right side of the tank (where she feeds) if they see me around feeding time, they head to the left side of the tank (where I feed). My Melanurus will sometimes do a "Dance for it's Dinner" when it's hungry (doing a looping dance of sorts). I think my Foxface has reached the point where I could feed it seaweed out of my hand, but I don't because of venomous spines and when it comes to seaweed it's mouth is like a chipper/shredder.

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seahorses. I find them to be enchanting little clowns, each one with its own personality.

I spend all my disposable income on my pets I also have my 25 year old horse, her little mini buddy, a Sheltie and a German Shepherd which I show. Keeps me active, and I'm too broke to become an alcoholic.

ReefParadox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few reasons.

First thing that comes to mind, is the love of fish and how this hobby started for me when I was around 10 years old with FW aquariums.

Second is, of all the dives I've been on, I have yet to see a reef without fish.

Third is the fun part of Learning my little aquatic friends personalities, colorful additions, movement and of course feeding the coral, of which has become my obsession.

Other
DITTO​

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the primary reason you keep fish in your reef tank?
Seriously?
Let me think... .OK I feed my fishes, take care of my corals and then.... What I do? Uhmmm oh I remember, I seat on my sofa and observed my whole tank and my fishes swim around. . .

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My life revolves around fish. I went several years without fish in my home because I worried it was a biosecurity hazard for work (you think Ich is bad in an aquarium, imagine 100,000 fish with Ich). Now that I am not on the ground anymore, my home is being taken over by fish. I think raising and caring for fish is just part of my DNA. I wouldn't be “me” without fish to care for. So when it came to starting a reef aquarium and struggling through the challenges of a mini ecosystem in the house, of course fish have to be a part of that.
Why do I keep “reef” in my fish tank?
As artificial as a reef aquarium is, it is a rare opportunity to get a glimpse of an ecosystem in action and to start to comprehend the complexities of keeping it in balance.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above! I do care for them and get attached but if they start munching coral or bully too hard, they find a new home.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are a hobby. And the reason people keep fish is for something to do. It is like painting or playing a game. There’s always stuff you can do to make your fish tank more perfect. Also it’s a challenge. They are delicate compared to other animals and to keep them comes with a lot of knowledge and learning. I don’t really care for many corals personally. I have the assortment of lps and soft corals but never really do anything for them. To me a fish tank is just that. It’s for your FISH. When people come over they look at the FISH not the corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back