Why do YOU like SPS?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals and LPS add movement with their soft bodies and tentacles, while SPS are stiff. SPS are harder to care for as well.

As someone who never tried SPS: Why do you like them over the faster-growing counterparts?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to saltwater side of the hobby and im liking look of softies swaying about and the tentacles/ feeding habits of lps corals.
Im wanting nice bright colours also and while some of the sps are bright colours they really dont float my boat at all,except monti caps as when i think of a coral reef i think of monti caps.i do like a couple of sps up high on rocks but not the whole aquarium.
But im reading alot new hobbyists prefer the softies/ lps firstly but then alot as get more experienced want to get extra demanding or more harder corals to look after ,maybe as want to get more gadgets like dosers and controllers and get more techy or they may just think its harder to look after and sometimes cost more so therefore = better.
So we shall see if i end up being like alot of hobbyists with prefering softie/ lps corals then prefer sps as my journey continues.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sps totally add movement,
esp if you’re a magician
with a magical touch
bringing out wicked polyp extension!
Ummm these polyp extension you mention are what 2mm long or so ?
At the moment i really dont get it at all ha ha.
But im sure as my journey continues i will be just like most others and enjoy them the most lol

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most coral change color to an extent but sps will really change even with slight changes. Its amazing to see the colors you can bring out with more par or a change in nutrients. They are challenging but extremely rewarding when you get it right. They can also be the brightest and most vibrant corals in the tank.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reasons I like them is that I generally like their shape. IMO SPS (especially non montipora sps)generally have much better shape than LPS, and photosynthetic soft corals don’t often have a good combination of shape and color. Acropora color and shape combinations are the best, IMO.

Last edited:

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find softies very appealing lps I only like a select few like Scully‘s /fav / and a few others . I’m very new to sps and my new tank will be 95% sps there is just somthing about a full grown sps tank that can’t be beat the look Is just stunning and the colours are just simply Beautiful

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mixed tanks myself. They are difficult to balance and get right but man a mature mixed reef tank is just so nice with so many different shapes and types. I imagine controlling and fragging the corals is it's own challenge as well as keeping flow/lighting happy for so many different types.

I would only consider full/mostly SPS so I could keep things like Regal angels and other not-so-safe with LPS/soft coral fish.

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's mostly the challenge. Seeing if I can keep them long term for grown out colonies. Long term it also appeals to my bonsai hobby when I was a teenager. As they get bigger I want to see how "pruning" them will increase growth rates or extreme "pruning" back to prevent a coral war that just turns into a fire in my wallet. Those are more long term goals though. First the challenge of growing out some large colonies I can start to play with a bit.

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they grow in really cool patterns and they can be very bright that’s why i like my montiporas and my birds nests and stylos i would try acros or something harder to care for but i’m to scared to add one lol

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef with softies, LPS and SPS. It is a bit challenging to keep flow + lighting + nutrients at a level where I can keep everything alive and well. I honestly can't say whether or not I like one over the other. They all add their own certain appeal to the tank.

I will say that there is a certain added satisfaction I get when I see the acros flourishing. I feel like "I can actually DO this!"

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for care, many SPS are just as tough as LPS and softies, if not more. The myth is created by the snob appeal that when we talk about SPS we are only referring to acropora.

Purple stylos, pocilloporas and blue digipora will tolerate conditions that most LPS wont and will melt softies. They will also grow faster than LPS. If you think LPS grows faster than SPS you haven't owned the three corals I listed above.

As for SPS looking dull, the OP has a point. I've never been a fan of acropora because most of it looks like "sticks," . I like fuzzy coral that looks alive which is why I prefer millipora or stags with a lot of PE.

For movement, eh, stylos dance enough for me.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what everyone else in the beginning: started with softies, moved on to lps and landed on sps. For me the biggest attraction is the challenge, no matter how good i think im setup there is always something to learn with sps. Softies look good but have never provided a challenge, ultimately i feel nps would be the next level but I'm not up to that and don't think i will be. Couple pics of my boring sticks...
DSC_8188.jpg
DSC_8126.jpg

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals and LPS add movement with their soft bodies and tentacles, while SPS are stiff. SPS are harder to care for as well.

As someone who never tried SPS: Why do you like them over the faster-growing counterparts?
I tend to like the growth patterns and colors of a lot of sps. I also enjoy the challenge of them. I have a pink lemonade that I’ve had for 4-6 months and a pink caddy I’ve had for 2 and both changed color when I had to dose phos and nitrate for Dino’s and I’m doing my best now to color them back up. I love the challenge and when I get it right I will be ecstatic!

While I love lps a little bit more I will always try to have a mixed reef with lps/sps and some softies. But I might try an sps dominated tank down the road in a 40 breeder.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back