Why does a plastic ATO container cost so much????

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they have their advantages but also not all plastic containers degrade equally. Plastic bottles and topper wear are the cheapest and thinnest plastics you can find + they get hit by high temperatures from the microwave or the sun heating your car, they leach chemicals because they are being burned.

Ya but no one is using plastic bottles and cheap Tupperware for their ATO or putting it in the sun or microwave.

I bought a food grade water container over 5 years ago and still use it. Holds about 7g and was 15 bucks.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they have their advantages but also not all plastic containers degrade equally. Plastic bottles and topper wear are the cheapest and thinnest plastics you can find + they get hit by high temperatures from the microwave or the sun heating your car, they leach chemicals because they are being burned.
Exactly my point. Even though your container may not be getting hot by microwaves or the sun, the sun and microwaves only speed up the process. If you were to pour warm water into your reservoir, the same effect will take place. It warms the thin plastic which opens up the pours in the plastic causing the degradation. Even with cool water you will still get some leaching, just at a much slower rate.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the largest Rubbermaid Cereal Container. They hold 2-3 gallons, are high and sleep, you can easily drill holes in the top for tubing opposite of the lid that you can just open to fill. Will fit any stand :)
That’s actually what I’m using for my trident waste container. Fits perfectly next to my ato container.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but no one is using plastic bottles and cheap Tupperware for their ATO or putting it in the sun or microwave.

I bought a food grade water container over 5 years ago and still use it. Holds about 7g and was 15 bucks.
“Food grade” means it seals to keep contaminants out. It’s meant to hold dry food, not water.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah this hobby... 1/2” keeping water, 1/2” showing off your poodle in a dog show organized by fellow poodle owners & 1/2” showing off the velvet-lined kennel you brought said poodle in.

“Look at the polyp extension of that poodle!”

No! Look at its crate!!! LOOK!!!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it is fantastic that some people recycle 5 gallon buckets and other items for their ATO!

I think it is fantastic that some people buy a custom-built acrylic ATO!

There are many ways to do reefing! It can be expensive. It doesn't have to be expensive. Reef your reef, be a master water keeper, and keep your livestock healthy!

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at glass carboys, they are used for beer brewing but i like them because they are glass and not very expensive, also they are fairly narrow so they fit better in your stand if it has enough vertical clearance.amazon has several.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the outdoor stores. Water tote containers sold for camping are safe affordable and come in many shapes and sizes. I use an Igloo 6 gallon tote. I modded the cap to have a valve and 1/4 npt.
15880931737271614701373863419944.jpg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is the dimensions of it make for a perfect fit under my stand. So I might get suckered into it
I used a Rubbermaid tub for a long time. When I wanted to save space under my stand and be more efficient I purchased a 30” long, 29 gallon aqueon during the 1$ per gallon sale at petco. Will never pay for one of the pretty acrylic things.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a trigger systems ATO because it had the dimensions I needed to fit in the stand next to the sump. Originally, I had a some 5g jugs next to the stand for my ATO, my fiance didn't want to see wires and tubes or the ugly jugs. Really the only option was to pay for a ATO that was less that 6.5" in width to fit under the tank. There isn't more than 1/4" left in the stand, so I'm pleased with the purchase. I must say it's a nice unit for 120~ shipped.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78A07BA1-301C-4FCA-B4E1-5980FC6FC72C.jpeg
I
I had a custom one made by octoaquatics and it was way less expensive than the other off the shelf acrylic ato containers. I want to make sure my reef looks great / and not just inside the tank but the cabinet and how it looks overall in my house so it’s something I’m willing to spend a bit on. Plus having tons of water so I don’t have to make RODI all the time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Food grade” means it seals to keep contaminants out. It’s meant to hold dry food, not water.

No I bought one that is meant to hold drinking water that they lable as BPA free blah blah.... It has a spout and all. Been using it over 5 years now.

Besides people have those mixing stations from brute and even giant 300g reef stock tanks or use them as sumps.

Last edited:

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will always be those that over emphasize form over function. Who cares what your cabinet looks like?
Do you polish all the hoses in the engine bay of your Camry?
Why yes, yes I do...is that not normal? Doesn't everyone polish their hoses? :p ;)

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth every penny to me. 10gals lets me go on vacation for over a week. I will use this container on every mid size build I’ll ever do.
941045C8-CAF5-4418-BD8C-C133BE2E417A.jpeg

WE GOT THE SAME ONE! Trigger systems!!! Only mine is purple!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth every penny to me. 10gals lets me go on vacation for over a week. I will use this container on every mid size build I’ll ever do.
941045C8-CAF5-4418-BD8C-C133BE2E417A.jpeg
I almost bought the trigger dosing containers when they were on sale. Decided to just drill holes in the caps so I didn’t spill stuff when I’m rummaging through my cabinet looking for my favorite brush ;Hilarious

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute food grade trash can. I use one for an outside ATO reservoir and two others for mixing and water changes. I have the dolly on the one I use for draining and vacuuming. Think mine are the 44g but they come in several sizes and they are as close as HD or Lowes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back