Why does a plastic ATO container cost so much????

Top Shelf Aquatics

90's reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Bashsea 10 gal was $170 at lfs. Perfect fit and looks good on my open stand 120.
$3-5 gallon bucket for my 45 frag tank that hides in the cabinet lol.

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
you can use anything you want but that is made ONLY for aquarium top off water. Do you trust a regular container or one made for a reef tank?

That’s the argument except in case it’s reversed.

I use a 10 gallon tuff box.
Food grade and you are safe as it relates to plastic, brute, rubber maid, et all.

As to my reply to the OP - time is money.

mitch91175

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting
You don’t have to pay that. Just buy another container that isn't labeled “aquarium” on it and you’ll be fine.

Again just one of those areas of the hobby that’s more of a money grab than beneficial. On Amazon you can find much better containers than any of those ATO units if you ask me.

Last edited:
Corals.com

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
I thought about trying this. Going to tap plastics( or any acrylic/plastics shop) and buying the stuff to make one. What kind of adhesive did you use and how’s it holding up?
The acrylic shop sold me some weld-on glue. It worked great and is still holding up like a champ. I recommend measuring everything up and drawing it out. It is a lot easier to have the acrylic supplier cut all the panels for you. Then all you have to do is glue it together.

Oh and don't forget to account for acrylic thickness in your measurements when ordering your pre-cut panels

Laurence Kofsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting
[/QUOTE
I found a plastic storage tote that fits in the cabinet and holds about 8 gallons for $10. Works out great for my 32 gallon mini.

Elaine123

View Badges
Reaction score
78A07BA1-301C-4FCA-B4E1-5980FC6FC72C.jpeg
I
I had a custom one made by octoaquatics and it was way less expensive than the other off the shelf acrylic ato containers. I want to make sure my reef looks great / and not just inside the tank but the cabinet and how it looks overall in my house so it’s something I’m willing to spend a bit on. Plus having tons of water so I don’t have to make RODI all the time.
What were your measurements and how much was this one?

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Because the vendors know that some people will pay more for colored PVC, wire holders and all-in-all care more about their equipment and setup than they care about what is in the tank. Form over function. The build reefers.

A 5 gallon bucket and lid at home depot is like $5.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
If your tank is in the basement a home depot bucket is fine. If it's in your main living room never. I would never ruin the look of my main room company spends time in over a few dollars. But in the basement sure. It's more about where your tank is and what level of decor you want.

Complaining about the cost of aquarium equipment when you pay large sums of money for coral & fish..

• is Fair

Votes: 134 50.8%
  • is Not Fair

Votes: 104 39.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 9.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors