Why does a plastic ATO container cost so much????

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much safer with a glass tank than Tupperware. Good choice! You could probably cut a piece of acrylic to make a cover for it too!
I feel the same way. This time I just bought a 10g tank for $13 and called it a day. With my 40B that should last me about 2-3weeks of top off

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use anything you want but that is made ONLY for aquarium top off water. Do you trust a regular container or one made for a reef tank?

That’s the argument except in case it’s reversed.

I use a 10 gallon tuff box.
Is this more of a flat square "tough" storage box?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting
It is ridiculous what some companies are charging for plastic items , tanks and stands considering the materials. This is a great example plus the smaller plastic items like filter holders - $30 when a similar item for another use could be $1 at the dime store.

Your choice is whether it to look nice or not and if you can hide it or make it look decent, who cares?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 gallon Reliance aquatainer is a good option. 20$.... And the size is perfect. Wish they made 10 gallon ones but 7 does fine.
1588019434747.jpeg
Another option is the larger water containers at the LFS that are sold to carry your water back and forth. The one near me sells them for $13.

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an all glass aquarium I picked up in a dumpster behind Petco. It was brand new but marked defective, holds water perfectly and the price was right. As for a float I took an empty omega one fish pellets container, filled it completely with water and it floats right at the top of the tank and has a nice red cap to make it easy to spot. Total cost a whopping $0.00 and no sales tax either. The money I saved went to buying an Innovative Marine ATO.

ryan-23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how big you need I waited for the dollar per gallon sale at Petco and got a ten gallon tank and then had Lowe’s cut a piece of plexiglass for me as the lid

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Webstaurantstore.com they have lots of options. I prefer the clear cambro style but you can find what suits you. Usually $20-100 Max. I own a restaurant and get my kitchen equipment from there. The Cambro containers are definitely safe and have markings for quantity. Great dosing containers too

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketing? Certain plastics like Tupperware are known to degrade over time and leach stuff into water. Ever notice how water that has been in a water bottle sitting in your car for awhile tends to get a funny taste. Yup, that’s plastic. I use the IM hydrofill reservoir. I went with it because it’s glass and is convenient for me. It fits perfectly in my stand and has a drawer that pulls out for refilling. Also has a read ball float to show water level. It was only $100 and I bought it when it was on sale for $80. The extra money is worth not having to take the reservoir out of my stand or deal with siphons and water spilling.

I had this reservoir for a short while. I noticed a film building up on the bottom panel. I emptied the reservoir and wiped it with paper towel. The towel turned pink. The pink float they used was leaching into the ATO water. I didn’t know if it would have any adverse affects on the tank so I reached out to IM, they never responded to my email. I decided to trash it. Just wanted to let you know in case you ever see the same film. I have a Trigger Systems Crystal 5 gallon ATO. Got it on sale for $75-80, don’t exactly remember. It’s perfect and I like seeing the water usage.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make your own. Acrylic is easy to build with and you can have it cut to your exact specs. All you would need to do is assemble.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird! I haven’t noticed any film building up. I could always take the ball out.... I have to clean my ato pump soon because it’s rattling. I’ll clean the reservoir out too and see if I find any of the pink residue
I had this reservoir for a short while. I noticed a film building up on the bottom panel. I emptied the reservoir and wiped it with paper towel. The towel turned pink. The pink float they used was leaching into the ATO water. I didn’t know if it would have any adverse affects on the tank so I reached out to IM, they never responded to my email. I decided to trash it. Just wanted to let you know in case you ever see the same film. I have a Trigger Systems Crystal 5 gallon ATO. Got it on sale for $75-80, don’t exactly remember. It’s perfect and I like seeing the water usage.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an RV water storage tank. I’ve got a 17g square tank with all sorts of outlet options for about $40. Check out amazon for RV water storage tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back