Why does a plastic ATO container cost so much????

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is the dimensions of it make for a perfect fit under my stand. So I might get suckered into it

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ten gallon one is $265 dollars CAD.

What

The

Hoot

Last edited by a moderator:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niche market means they can charge why they want, and people pay it.
you can always contact a local plastic supply place and see if they do any custom work but when I tried sourcing one locally it didn’t really save any money. You’re getting something custom made so again the price goes up over mass produced items.
I recently had 2 custom ATO built for me to fit exact spots in my stand and hold the maximum amount of water possible.
I spent over $300. If you don’t like the idea of spending that much money for Convenience and cleanliness there are plenty of low/no cost options like buckets/trash cans.

Reefero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know dont care.. nobody needs that.. you can use any size storage container and it will hold water just fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like a fish tank, it holds water. Seems like anything that holds water is a few hundred dollars per gallon. . . LOL

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use anything you want but that is made ONLY for aquarium top off water. Do you trust a regular container or one made for a reef tank?

That’s the argument except in case it’s reversed.

I use a 10 gallon tuff box.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What dimensions are ya looking for?

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 gallon Reliance aquatainer is a good option. 20$.... And the size is perfect. Wish they made 10 gallon ones but 7 does fine.
1588019434747.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Marketing
Marketing? Certain plastics like Tupperware are known to degrade over time and leach stuff into water. Ever notice how water that has been in a water bottle sitting in your car for awhile tends to get a funny taste. Yup, that’s plastic. I use the IM hydrofill reservoir. I went with it because it’s glass and is convenient for me. It fits perfectly in my stand and has a drawer that pulls out for refilling. Also has a read ball float to show water level. It was only $100 and I bought it when it was on sale for $80. The extra money is worth not having to take the reservoir out of my stand or deal with siphons and water spilling.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is the dimensions of it make for a perfect fit under my stand. So I might get suckered into it
I find lots of food safe containers that I use in the hobby at the container store. they cost more than say bed bath and beyond but they have a huge selectin. You can also ask soemone who works with acrylic to make something and see what they might charge instead.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niche market means they can charge why they want, and people pay it.
you can always contact a local plastic supply place and see if they do any custom work but when I tried sourcing one locally it didn’t really save any money. You’re getting something custom made so again the price goes up over mass produced items.
I recently had 2 custom ATO built for me to fit exact spots in my stand and hold the maximum amount of water possible.
I spent over $300. If you don’t like the idea of spending that much money for Convenience and cleanliness there are plenty of low/no cost options like buckets/trash cans.
Exactly the point.

Back