Why does a plastic ATO container cost so much????

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these containers on amazon for a decent price. Many different sizes

Class A Customs 5 Gallon Fresh Water Holding Tank NSF Approved T-0500

U

User1

View Badges
you can use anything you want but that is made ONLY for aquarium top off water. Do you trust a regular container or one made for a reef tank?

That’s the argument except in case it’s reversed.

I use a 10 gallon tuff box.

Food grade and you are safe as it relates to plastic, brute, rubber maid, et all.

As to my reply to the OP - time is money.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting

You don’t have to pay that. Just buy another container that isn't labeled “aquarium” on it and you’ll be fine.

Again just one of those areas of the hobby that’s more of a money grab than beneficial. On Amazon you can find much better containers than any of those ATO units if you ask me.

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these

image.jpg

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you. It is the reason I have been using a 5 gallon bucket as my ATO reservoir. I hate it, 5 gallon bucket only gets me 3 days. But I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a reservoir.
Same reason i choose to build a sump instead of buying one
8AB0D67B-90A1-4361-9EC5-EAE9A4BA2AFC.jpeg

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about trying this. Going to tap plastics( or any acrylic/plastics shop) and buying the stuff to make one. What kind of adhesive did you use and how’s it holding up?

The acrylic shop sold me some weld-on glue. It worked great and is still holding up like a champ. I recommend measuring everything up and drawing it out. It is a lot easier to have the acrylic supplier cut all the panels for you. Then all you have to do is glue it together.

Oh and don't forget to account for acrylic thickness in your measurements when ordering your pre-cut panels

Laurence Kofsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what makes EShopps plastic water reservoir cost $165 CAD? What makes it so great? I mean the dimensions are great but still!!!!

Sorry just venting
[/QUOTE
I found a plastic storage tote that fits in the cabinet and holds about 8 gallons for $10. Works out great for my 32 gallon mini.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78A07BA1-301C-4FCA-B4E1-5980FC6FC72C.jpeg
I
I had a custom one made by octoaquatics and it was way less expensive than the other off the shelf acrylic ato containers. I want to make sure my reef looks great / and not just inside the tank but the cabinet and how it looks overall in my house so it’s something I’m willing to spend a bit on. Plus having tons of water so I don’t have to make RODI all the time.
What were your measurements and how much was this one?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the vendors know that some people will pay more for colored PVC, wire holders and all-in-all care more about their equipment and setup than they care about what is in the tank. Form over function. The build reefers.

A 5 gallon bucket and lid at home depot is like $5.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is in the basement a home depot bucket is fine. If it's in your main living room never. I would never ruin the look of my main room company spends time in over a few dollars. But in the basement sure. It's more about where your tank is and what level of decor you want.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back