Why does my fairy wrasse do this?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pin tail fairy wrasse and sometimes it’ll put all its fins up and just do circles around my royal gramma, or follow it’s exact movement. Doesn’t do it lots just here and there, not sure if it’s an agressive behaviour, it never goes after the royal gramma but the royal gramma doesn’t seem to like it. Opens its mouth and swims towards the fairy wrasse but it’s not phased by it at all. Anyone else’s fairy wrasse do this and if so what is it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a pin tail fairy wrasse and sometimes it’ll put all its fins up and just do circles around my royal gramma, or follow it’s exact movement. Doesn’t do it lots just here and there, not sure if it’s an agressive behaviour, it never goes after the royal gramma but the royal gramma doesn’t seem to like it. Opens its mouth and swims towards the fairy wrasse but it’s not phased by it at all. Anyone else’s fairy wrasse do this and if so what is it?
Sounds like its intimidated and on guard around a fish that can be a jerk -Gramma

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sometimes I regret getting the gramma because it can be a jerk, but it never attacks anything just opens it mouth and swims at them
Which makes it intimidating

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I regret getting the gramma because it can be a jerk, but it never attacks anything just opens it mouth and swims at them
No regret, I love the gramma, very resilient fish, with some “tude”.
Over time, this display may lessen when the hierarchy order is set.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No regret, I love the gramma, very resilient fish, with some “tude”.
Over time, this display may lessen when the hierarchy order is set.
I still have quite a few fish to add so hope he doesn’t bother them to much, beautiful fish tho and in the end I’m glad I got one!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what we in the wrasse world call ‘Flashing’ - it’s actual term is ‘Displaying’.
This is totally normal and often they do it to show whose boss or even to court others.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what we in the wrasse world call ‘Flashing’ - it’s actual term is ‘Displaying’.
This is totally normal and often they do it to show whose boss or even to court others.
I’m adding two more flasher wrasses very soon so I’ll be excited to see all 3 of them do it! They look amazing when they do

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back