Why does my goniapora look like it is going to explode!!!

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a clown goni, it is a bit retracted due to clown harassment. It will expand to twice the size if bugged...
20230917_131646.jpg
I hope my clowns host it they have been very interested in it. They keep on nipping the coral idk why.

But The Goni doesn’t like the clown. Why is that

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my clowns host it they have been very interested in it. They keep on nipping the coral idk why.

But The Goni doesn’t like the clown. Why is that
The clowns are using it as a substitute for a proper anemone and will try to feed it. Most time it bugs the goni as it would prefer being left alone. My clowns puts the petals in their mouths but does not hurt it. Looks like they are trying to eat it. Clowns will host almost any gently moving coral.. ;)

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are using it as a substitute for a proper anemone and will try to feed it. Most time it bugs the goni as it would prefer being left alone. My clowns puts the petals in their mouths but does not hurt it. Looks like they are trying to eat it. Clowns will host almost any gently moving coral.. ;)
I have a bubble tip nem right next to the Goni but they have no interest in it. Are my clowns putting the petals in there mouth because they are trying to host it?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big green goni has done this periodically over the last 2 years. Not sure if it is just flushing it's system with air or what but it doesn't seem to affect the coral at all. My red and purple gonis don't do this behavior though.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big green goni has done this periodically over the last 2 years. Not sure if it is just flushing it's system with air or what but it doesn't seem to affect the coral at all. Mybred and purple gonis don't do this behavior though.
That is good the hear thanks

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to hypothesize that the coral swelled up to flush out the old dip water and take a nice skeletal bath in your tank water.

What are your water parameters?
Should I test right now. It also keeps opening and closing.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, just to be sure it’s near normal parameters. I have seen plate corals inflate like that, just what they were doing? Mostly after lights out.
Ok I will test now and let you know. Also it has been opening and closing very 20 min or so. Idk why

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble tip nem right next to the Goni but they have no interest in it. Are my clowns putting the petals in there mouth because they are trying to host it?
Clowns will bite/suck on the tips of anemone tentacles to build up resistance to the sting I've read. I've seen mine do it to my bubbletips.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will bite/suck on the tips of anemone tentacles to build up resistance to the sting I've read. I've seen mine do it to my bubbletips.
Is it because they are also getting ready to host?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, just to be sure it’s near normal parameters. I have seen plate corals inflate like that, just what they were doing? Mostly after lights out.
Ok so I just tested my water all seems normal.

Salinity-1.025
pH-8.0
Alk-8.5
Cal-460
Mag-1350
Nitrate-4.0
Phosphate-0.00

Do you think I should move it down to the sand bed for lower light or leave it. Idk what light it should get. Some say low and some say high to medium

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity-1.025
pH-8.0
Alk-8.5
Cal-460
Mag-1350
Nitrate-4.0
Phosphate-0.00

Do you think I should move it down to the sand bed for lower light or leave it. Idk what light it should get. Some say low and some say high to medium
Step 1. Go to google.com
Step 2. Enter "light requirements for goniopora"

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity-1.025
pH-8.0
Alk-8.5
Cal-460
Mag-1350
Nitrate-4.0
Phosphate-0.00

What cycle was the moon in when you got it initially? If it was waxing then it needs to be moved down. That is unless you were wearing green that day. If you were then it still needs to be moved down.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What cycle was the moon in when you got it initially? If it was waxing then it needs to be moved down. That is unless you were wearing green that day. If you were then it still needs to be moved down.
What

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back