Why is coralline struggling to grow in my tank and is it the water chemistry?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has traditionally been almost too high for this tank (~8.4) with a corresponding alk of 9-10dKH. I was getting too many calcium deposits in the sump and sand so I can't imagine going back to like 10dKH long-term.

Magnesium is solid, 1350-1400.

I run a small tupperware of miracle mud in the sump...might be the source of my silicates/dino's. RODI TDS has always been zero.
My bad just saw this lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem fuel just switched to reef plus because I'm been having g a hard time finding fuel. My urchin has a hard time keeping up.

Its also worth noting I do a 10g water change a week

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now 5 months old. I've had specks of coraline for a few months but only now is it really spreading to glass.
My ALK is at 8 and dosing 20ml of Seachem Marine buffer a day to keep it there. Maybe I should up my does a bit

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now 5 months old. I've had specks of coraline for a few months but only now is it really spreading to glass.
My ALK is at 8 and dosing 20ml of Seachem Marine buffer a day to keep it there. Maybe I should up my does a bit
If thats where you want why would you adjust. Whats your calcium levels

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was gonna suggest. My Ca is usually around 480 and DKH 10.6; I neglected my mag forever because I read so many threads downplay the importance of testing it regularly. In recent months I slowly raised my mag from 1060 to 1360 and my 2 year old system is finally showing growth.
1350 last tested a month ago. I'll test again.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1350 last tested a month ago. I'll test again.
1310, so a little low.

So I know this isn't really relevant for the coralline discussion but take a look at the comparison of silicates between the tank water (left) and RODI water (right).

Like I said, ICP tests have shown my silicates to be very high (and increasing) throughout the tank's life. Pittsburgh water was my main suspect but I think I'm ready to blame my Miracle Mud.

After dosing nutrients to help corals/cyano, my tank has experienced dino's and I'm sure the silicates are part of that. Took out my Miracle Mud.

Also: pH is at 8.5
Ca: 480ppm
Alk: 8.9 dKH
PO4: 0.5 (reducing NeoPhos dosage)
NO3: 1ppm

IMG_6842.jpg
IMG_6843.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1310, so a little low.

So I know this isn't really relevant for the coralline discussion but take a look at the comparison of silicates between the tank water (left) and RODI water (right).

Like I said, ICP tests have shown my silicates to be very high (and increasing) throughout the tank's life. Pittsburgh water was my main suspect but I think I'm ready to blame my Miracle Mud.

After dosing nutrients to help corals/cyano, my tank has experienced dino's and I'm sure the silicates are part of that. Took out my Miracle Mud.

Also: pH is at 8.5
Ca: 480ppm
Alk: 8.9 dKH
PO4: 0.5 (reducing NeoPhos dosage)
NO3: 1ppm

IMG_6842.jpg
IMG_6843.jpg
1ppm of nitrates may be the problem. 10-20 is a good target range

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ppm of nitrates may be the problem. 10-20 is a good target range
Yea, I'm slowly increasing NeoNitro dosing to get to 5-10ppm.

My NO3/PO4 went to zero (very little bioload), which caused cyano so I started dosing nutrients around a month ago. Adjusting dosages for healthy levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think the culprit is? May silicates be playing a role?

Unless the silicates are driving diatoms that are competing with coralline for surface space, I cannot see a reason that silicate impacts any organism not using it.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the silicates are driving diatoms that are competing with coralline for surface space, I cannot see a reason that silicate impacts any organism not using it.
I agree, just wanted to bring up diatoms/silicates since we were discussing my water chemistry.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything the increase in silcates will increase diatoms which will compete against the dinoflagellates.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had exactly the same problem. I used rock from someone else tank so I did not know its history. I ran that tank for 8 years and I never saw any coralline algae. I have just closed down that tank and taken about 1/10th of that rock and moved it into a new nano and I see a little bit of coralline algae but nothing great. I have been battling with high Nitrates and Phosphates all time and have therefore put the lack of coralline algae down to the rocks continually leaching phosphates preventing coralline algae growing. Why do I think that? Well, no I have a nano, I can do a 50% water change which should been I see a reduction in phosphate the next day, but I dont.

I have always had green algae on the rocks and even using NOPOX continually to reduce the phosphate, does not get rid of the green algae and I assume this is preventing any coralline algae taking hold. The spots I do see that start to get established are quickly overtaken with green algae. If it was not for all the coral I have growing on this rock, I would have binned it years ago.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree but I have tried high low and DKH, Calcium, Magnesium, different lighting, different salts and I have always dosed Kalk, I do water changes but nothing changes. All the other aquariums I have maintained over the years have been inundated with coralline algae but not the last 2.

So in summary, could it be down to your rocks?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the ICP analysis say about iodine? Maybe coralline algae are great iodine consumers and need it for growth.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't have any coraline algae but for many years I did. I don't know why. I don't care just don't know. :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back