Why is coralline struggling to grow in my tank and is it the water chemistry?

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 170 (40gal)
Ca: 475ppm
Alk: 8.9 dKH
pH: 8.3

Silicates have been exceedingly high on my ICP tests: 661.00 µg/l
(GFO strips too much phosphate from the tank, need to replace DI resin more often)

I've been dosing 5mL Brightwell strontium every other day.

In my experience, good coralline growth is correlated with good SPS growth. I had decent coralline growth at my other apartment in Pittsburgh but lost it when I moved.

What do you think the culprit is? May silicates be playing a role?

In December, my NO3/PO4 were too low, now I'm dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro to find a proper balance (also helping with cyano).

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the above captioned statement ^^^

I noticed that once I started dosing AFR and Alk was over 10 that's when the magic happened. I was at the 9 or 10 month mark that I started seeing obvious signs of coraline algae.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 170 (40gal)
Ca: 475ppm
Alk: 8.9 dKH
pH: 8.3

Silicates have been exceedingly high on my ICP tests: 661.00 µg/l
(GFO strips too much phosphate from the tank, need to replace DI resin more often)

I've been dosing 5mL Brightwell strontium every other day.

In my experience, good coralline growth is correlated with good SPS growth. I had decent coralline growth at my other apartment in Pittsburgh but lost it when I moved.

What do you think the culprit is? May silicates be playing a role?
My system started growing coralline after I started dosing ChaetoGro, basically trace elements. Must have been depleted in something. I doubt silicates have any effect on coralline growth.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has traditionally been almost too high for this tank (~8.4) with a corresponding alk of 9-10dKH. I was getting too many calcium deposits in the sump and sand so I can't imagine going back to like 10dKH long-term.

Magnesium is solid, 1350-1400.

I run a small tupperware of miracle mud in the sump...might be the source of my silicates/dino's. RODI TDS has always been zero.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps can go in an uncycled tank, coralline algae I would argue needs a more established tank, with ph being one of the most important parameters. So yes if you can grow sps you are likely able to grow CA but the time frames are probably different.
Have you seeded the tank with Coraline covered frag plugs or anything?
For context, the tank was set up August 2020 with cycled rock. I had coralline six months later in the first apartment. I lost the coralline when I moved in August 2021 and it hasn't grown back since.

Again, pH and alk have been consistently been high so I've decided against kalkwasser.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but finally got some started in my new RS peninsula after raising the temp to 79. All other parameters are like yours.
That's funny you mention that. I recently increased my temperature from ~76F to 78-79F. I think corals might've liked it but it may have also been the NeoPhos/NeoNitro I started adding around the same time.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what all the fuss over coraline is. Once it explodes in growth it sucks up alk and calcium i find it to be a pain. So much so I bought an urchin to help control it.
I understand your point, it's just that I think the lack of coralline is representative of a wider chemistry deficiency or imbalance that is also impeding my coral growth. If my corals were growing like crazy, I wouldn't care.

Good feedback for problem solving.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point, it's just that I think the lack of coralline is representative of a wider chemistry deficiency or imbalance that is also impeding my coral growth. If my corals were growing like crazy, I wouldn't care.

Good feedback for problem solving.
I can see your point. Do you do regular water changes? If not it may be a trace element issue. For algea you have to think care like plants. It's also worth noting that Zooxanthellae is a dinoflagellates and acts alot like algea. We walk a delicate line

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see your point. Do you do regular water changes? If not it may be a trace element issue. For algea you have to think care like plants. It's also worth noting that Zooxanthellae is a dinoflagellates and acts alot like algea. We walk a delicate line
5 gallons every 2-3 weeks. I just have one pygmy angel in there right now so the bio-load is very low. Red Sea blue bucket.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dilute (8parts rodi to 2 parts kh gro) solution of Red Sea Coralline GRO as my alk solution when I set up a tank. The intent being to subsidize potasium, iron and other trace elements that the coralline needs.

Once it takes off I switch back to my standard sodium carbonate solution.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s magnesium at? Out of range mag can cause a lock out
This is what I was gonna suggest. My Ca is usually around 480 and DKH 10.6; I neglected my mag forever because I read so many threads downplay the importance of testing it regularly. In recent months I slowly raised my mag from 1060 to 1360 and my 2 year old system is finally showing growth.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This after about 3 months of actually maintaining my magnesium levels.

Attachments

• 22FDF24C-CAE1-4F65-AC0E-79D5D2C27D0E.jpeg
    22FDF24C-CAE1-4F65-AC0E-79D5D2C27D0E.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DAD69FFE-9517-4BD5-AD95-1D72ECC52CF4.jpeg
    DAD69FFE-9517-4BD5-AD95-1D72ECC52CF4.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 57

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what all the fuss over coraline is. Once it explodes in growth it sucks up alk and calcium. I find it to be a pain. So much so, I bought an urchin to help control it.
It's visually appealing to a lot of people and is generally regarded as an indicator of a healthy system.

Back