Why is everyone selling their Radions

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of reefers I know that buy hyper expensive, small foot print lights like the Radion aren't in this hobby long term. They start, throw a lot of money at hobby for a year or two, then get bored and sell when they realize their $700-800 light that can emulate a sunset on krypton and requires more firmware updates than my corporate firewalls doesn't make corals grow better and doesn't help with nuisance algae problems.

All, and I repeat all of my hardcore SPS buddies run either DIY, black boxes, or more generic lights. Big tanks don't need Radions....they need more distributed coverage, and that's not practical with boutique lights that expensive.

For the record every black box I've used and/or modified continues to function perfectly.

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I had a Radion go bad and they cross-shipped the replacement very quickly, no issues getting support and currently wouldn’t trade them for Kessils, no comparison as far as controllability and they push as much par as I need them to with a 29” tall tank and SPS/mixed, running diffusers.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation. I have also noticed Radions for sale recently, but might just be a coincidence. I have seen kessils on a friend's tank, and they look amazing. The shimmer is impressive.
I have six Kessil A360WEs on my 125 gallon tank. I like the shimmer, but I would say the shading effect is difficult to counteract. I originally had only three but added three more to help with shading, but since they are essentially spot light sources, that only helped marginally. I also added two 60" T5s to help with the shading, but even that has only been marginally successful.

I have not had Radions or other types of LED lights, but it seems like tanks with black box Chinese lights have fewer issues with shading. I will admit that you give up the shimmer effect as you more away from a point source of slight to a large area of LED illumination. It all depends on whether or not you like the shimmer.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im selling 4 radions because AI has those all super new 64 hail hydras and the Algae is greener on that side of the tank.
BTW I just sold my kessils 360we's, in two years I may go back to 360X will see how it goes.
1572286238907.png

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six Kessil A360WEs on my 125 gallon tank. I like the shimmer, but I would say the shading effect is difficult to counteract. I originally had only three but added three more to help with shading, but since they are essentially spot light sources, that only helped marginally. I also added two 60" T5s to help with the shading, but even that has only been marginally successful.

I have not had Radions or other types of LED lights, but it seems like tanks with black box Chinese lights have fewer issues with shading. I will admit that you give up the shimmer effect as you more away from a point source of slight to a large area of LED illumination. It all depends on whether or not you like the shimmer.

You are absolutely right, and with my buddies tank I definitely noticed quite a few shaded areas. Basically anything with an undercut was in the shade. I would have thought the T5s would have filled in the gaps, but would also decrease the shimmer. That is the reason he didn't add any T5s to his setup, he loves the shimmer. Right now I run T5s and they don't have the dense array of LEDs that Kessill does, so doesn't have as many shaded areas. I do get a bit more discoing on the sand bed though. I was able to correct the shaded areas and how the discoing appeared on the sand with adding 2 T5 bulbs.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are sold the most because they are purchased the most. I have them and i have no complaints.

I disagree. I would say black boxes have out sold Radions by a large margin. It may not be a fair comparison because there are so many manufacturers of black boxes vs just Ecotech for radions, but the price and style are all so similar that most people lump them all together.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say black boxes have out sold Radions by a large margin.
Thats cool, everyone who uses them loves them.
Why do we not see them for sale or not many of them? People keeping them? or is it longevity isn't that great?
Maybe I just don't pay attention to them.

Personaly, if people are selling radions its for the CASH
Out with the old in with the new

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I would say black boxes have out sold Radions by a large margin. It may not be a fair comparison because there are so many manufacturers of black boxes vs just Ecotech for radions, but the price and style are all so similar that most people lump them all together.

What is easier to justify.. Used $70 light or used $350 light?
Point is the resale value on BB's is probably like $35.....
Not generally even worth posting..

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is easier to justify.. Used $70 light or used $350 light?
Point is the resale value on BB's is probably like $35.....
Not generally even worth posting..
Pretty much this, lol. Unless the BB is virtually brand new it doesn't make sense to go used.

Not true, a lot of black boxes retail for over a hundred and locally I have seen a few listings for used black boxes. They typically sell in one day. I have not been be able to buy a used black box, because of how quickly they sell, the parts in them cost more than what the entire light does. They are very easy to modify and great for DIY projects.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people sell them because they are expensive and resell easily. Meaning, don't just throw them in the garage with all the other stuff. I run radions and like them. I have multiple black boxes in my garage. They aren't worth my time trying to sell them. I have T5 set ups in my garage. If I were going to change again, I would sell the radions, because it is enough cash to make it worth it.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true, a lot of black boxes retail for over a hundred and locally I have seen a few listings for used black boxes. They typically sell in one day. I have not been be able to buy a used black box, because of how quickly they sell, the parts in them cost more than what the entire light does. They are very easy to modify and great for DIY projects.

That may depend more on your local market than anything..
I do get the part of buying a used one to say salvage a driver..but since a new one has 2..well 1/2 the price of new.
As to modifying, well I certainly would want to start w/ a cheap-ish light than a more expensive one..

The parts aren't really expensive, just hard to find btw..
The Chinese drivers are dirt cheap as are the 10 for a $1 "Bridgelux" diodes..
most have a couple of beer cans of aluminum.. ;)

EUC-060S070DTM0004

Not easy to find either.. :(
But would be a replacement at $21..
EUC-060S070DTM0004

60-120V DC out 500mA..
0-10v dimming..

Another "substute" driver though more ..err powerful than what is in bb's..
700mA (most BB's are 550-ish) and at max 86V dc may or may not make it.
Worst case driver never can output 700mA
28 x Vf of say 3.6 =100V

Last edited:

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of my gen2 units while I could still get some money for them. Nice but to me not sure they were worth the cost. Used some black boxes over the years and never had an issue with them.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ecotech didn’t last long enough to sell. I think the fan being on the bottom is one of the most ignorant places to put it. I have a great idea, let’s hang a light over salt water and suck air from the tank. My ended up with water damage and I went with Al’s because they seem like a quality light with the fan on top. FYI they were exactly 15” above the water.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ecotech didn’t last long enough to sell. I think the fan being on the bottom is one of the most ignorant places to put it. I have a great idea, let’s hang a light over salt water and suck air from the tank. My ended up with water damage and I went with Al’s because they seem like a quality light with the fan on top. FYI they were exactly 15” above the water.
You realize Ecotech and AI are the same company, right?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are by far the most trusted led among serious coral growers that have switched to leds. We all know who they are. Sure other brands have strong fixtures, but Radions prove themselves over and over they are far ahead when it comes to results.

Im not an led guy, still old school but denying Radions lead the market is foolish to say the least.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of reefers I know that buy hyper expensive, small foot print lights like the Radion aren't in this hobby long term. They start, throw a lot of money at hobby for a year or two, then get bored and sell when they realize their $700-800 light that can emulate a sunset on krypton and requires more firmware updates than my corporate firewalls doesn't make corals grow better and doesn't help with nuisance algae problems.

All, and I repeat all of my hardcore SPS buddies run either DIY, black boxes, or more generic lights. Big tanks don't need Radions....they need more distributed coverage, and that's not practical with boutique lights that expensive.

For the record every black box I've used and/or modified continues to function perfectly.

That Krypton reference had me going. Lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 133 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 8.9%
Back