Why is everyone selling their Radions

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are by far the most trusted led among serious coral growers that have switched to leds. We all know who they are. Sure other brands have strong fixtures, but Radions prove themselves over and over they are far ahead when it comes to results.

Im not an led guy, still old school but denying Radions lead the market is foolish to say the least.
I think Kessils have the best look on a DT. If I were purely interested in growth, I wouldn't have LEDs at all.

Last edited:

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely the correct explanation. Did BRS do their most popular of 2019 lighting video? That would probably help confirm
Not saying they aren't the best, but I doubt they have the majority of the market with so many cheaper alternatives.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely the correct explanation. Did BRS do their most popular of 2019 lighting video? That would probably help confirm
1572320996849.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I’m not selling mine LOL.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my Radions because I hated the side glare, even with diffusers installed. I switched to ReeFi DUO Extremes which are roughly the same form factor as Radions, but use reflectors instead of lenses to spread the light, and that results in a smoother light pattern with no side glare. Now I can sit in my living room without blinding light annoying me.

You can see the side glare comparison here: Radion on left, ReeFi on right:
9C44C9C7-C2BA-48AA-B29D-1EB4DAEEEB1B.thumb.jpeg.bed3a0831d7135199b39fd84a5deaebd.jpeg

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread on here about 3 weeks ago regarding the release of the Hydra 32 HD and the Hydra 64 HD which have a wider spread than the 26 and 52's. Several reefers said they were going to sell their Radions to upgrade to the new lights. I'm sure there are lots of reasons why members decide to sell their lights, but there may be more than usual in the dry goods section right now because of this very reason.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize Ecotech and AI are the same company, right?

They are only technically the same company.
Yes they merged about 4 years ago but they operate as completely seperate entities.
The merger happened to make customer support, buying power and distribution easier but thats about as far as it goes.
They don't share a factory or designs, in fact they share hardly anything at all.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ecotech didn’t last long enough to sell. I think the fan being on the bottom is one of the most ignorant places to put it.
the 15's have a fan on top, The kessil shimmer is awesome but is muted with the addition of t5's. I could have added 4 or more 360's but that would have added 1600 plus cables and mounts.
yes I spent 1600 on 4 xr15's but I also got 500 back on 2 360's, just trying something different on the new display and if i dont like it, I know I'll get a good portion back when....I Sell My Radions ;)

20190928_161728.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every light has there positive and negatives. I agree that the reason there are so many radions for sale is because it’s either the 1st or 2nd most used light on the market. There’s a reason the top growers (Wwc, Tsa, vivid, unique corals) all use radions. Plain and simple they just work. you can find success with any light on the market but with so many big players like the lfs listed above and brs pushing Ecotech so hard of course people are going to lean that way.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past five years.. i have returned two of mine to Eco.. never and issue.. one was out of warranty and they did not charge to replace fan.. Just my 2 cents..

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true, a lot of black boxes retail for over a hundred and locally I have seen a few listings for used black boxes. They typically sell in one day. I have not been be able to buy a used black box, because of how quickly they sell, the parts in them cost more than what the entire light does. They are very easy to modify and great for DIY projects.

Just shipping a black box will cost like $18. When it’s worth maybe $50 used.... not worth the trouble. Or sell it locally- which explains why we don’t see them in classifieds.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my Radions because I hated the side glare, even with diffusers installed. I switched to ReeFi DUO Extremes which are roughly the same form factor as Radions, but use reflectors instead of lenses to spread the light, and that results in a smoother light pattern with no side glare. Now I can sit in my living room without blinding light annoying me.

You can see the side glare comparison here: Radion on left, ReeFi on right:
9C44C9C7-C2BA-48AA-B29D-1EB4DAEEEB1B.thumb.jpeg.bed3a0831d7135199b39fd84a5deaebd.jpeg

It looks like the Radion is on a higher setting on that photo?

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People resell their radions because they can. How long do they last the average user 6 to 10 years?
A lot of people will try to start a tank and they will buy equipment you never use it and then sell it on R2R.

A lot of people will set up a tank and then within a few short years sell everything. They usually buy the “best” and sell it when leaving.

A lot of people will know a store owner or vendor and be able to buy radions below MAP and will be able to sell with shipping at their. They may even get a discount for buying in bulk meaning buysix and sell two.

A lot of people in this hobby want to try different equipment radions being able to resell allow us to get some of our money back to put forward towards new lights.

You see people selling them because people will buy them.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few black boxes myself also... i use them also.. they are nice and work very very well.. however,, the light and adjustable colors ect in my 2 cents make the radions a nice choice.. that of course does not take into account $$$$

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.8%
Back