Why is everyone selling their Radions

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just for grins, how does on Radion XR30W G4 stack up against a Kessil A360WE? I'm curious if a comparison has been done.

Maybe a comparison between the XR30W and AP700 is fairer?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a comparison between the XR30W and AP700 is fairer?
Xr30 vs AP700 prob correct.

But you could maybe also compare xr15 vs 360x

So you compare them on spread, PAR, PUR, controlability.... it’s tough to imagine you would find a true difference. If you ran 50x of each for 5 years you might find a convincing difference in reliability/longevity but who knows which one it would be in favor of?

I think the programability of the ecotechs and better integration with apex might give them the win. For instance the coral spawning sync’d to the moon phases in fiji by jaime craggs at MACNA a few years back would logistically only work with radions not ap700s.

I wanted to buy xr30’s for my tank a few years back. They were out of stock so I bought ap700s. I watched all those BRS PAR videos and felt like they were ultimately interchangeable. I use 4x t5’s as well so the shimmer is not really detectable anyways. The two lights are similarly priced.

Meh

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils have poor spread and shadowing is a notorious concern. Unless you supliment them with t5 they are a no-go. They are beautiful lights though.

Edit: as for the radions, they're just incredibly popular so there is always going to be used units for sale.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the Radion is on a higher setting on that photo?

Nope. I set them to approximately the same spectrum (ReeFi has 9 color channels vs. Radion’s 8) and I even measured the PAR to make sure the new lights matched the old lights. The photo simply shows my complaint about the Radions spreading light sideways while the ReeFi focuses the light downward. Each LED is recessed inside a “ReeFlector” instead of putting a lens over the LEDs like Radion.

D935EB5B-2188-4389-A4FA-9BD9BE505CC1.jpeg

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils have poor spread and shadowing is a notorious concern. Unless you supliment them with t5 they are a no-go. They are beautiful lights though.

Edit: as for the radions, they're just incredibly popular so there is always going to be used units for sale.
In a DT, I actually like a bit of shadowing. I also like overhangs and caves in the rock work. To me the variety looks more realistic.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s also the culture of the hobbiest/. Someone who has $10k to throw in a setup and expects it to be perfect will be selling their equipment within a year or two.... whereas someone who is making a budget setup with black boxes is more likely to be in the hobby for the long run.

I see this pretty often, throwing huge amounts of money into a tank yet having very poor results due to their inexperience. Look at build threads where someone seemingly spends a grand just in plumbing, yet does not end up with a successful reef tank. Eventually the equipment gets sold, and others can have their shot at premium equipment at a better price.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I set them to approximately the same spectrum (ReeFi has 9 color channels vs. Radion’s 8) and I even measured the PAR to make sure the new lights matched the old lights. The photo simply shows my complaint about the Radions spreading light sideways while the ReeFi focuses the light downward. Each LED is recessed inside a “ReeFlector” instead of putting a lens over the LEDs like Radion.

D935EB5B-2188-4389-A4FA-9BD9BE505CC1.jpeg
Alright, so I'm going to display my ignorance here. Who manufactures the fixture in the picture you posted above?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s also the culture of the hobbiest/. Someone who has $10k to throw in a setup and expects it to be perfect will be selling their equipment within a year or two.... whereas someone who is making a budget setup with black boxes is more likely to be in the hobby for the long run.

I see this pretty often, throwing huge amounts of money into a tank yet having very poor results due to their inexperience.

It’s going to depend on the hobbiest. This is my first tank, only in the hobby for 20 months now. I “threw” over $10K into my tank, extensive Apex setup, and high-end equipment because I didn’t want to upgrade and upgrade. I did my research in advance, sought advice here on R2R before making a single purchase, and detailed my plans before starting my build. My tank is now thriving, and the only equipment I have replaced were my Radions because I didn’t like the side glare.

Now I’m on the board of directors at my local aquarist club, and have written the 8-part Apex programming tutorial series here on R2R.

I’d say my inexperience has blossomed into a great experience. :)

004AB5C8-499B-4928-84FD-D97621C46D23.jpeg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to depend on the hobbiest. This is my first tank, only in the hobby for 20 months now. I “threw” over $10K into my tank, extensive Apex setup, and high-end equipment because I didn’t want to upgrade and upgrade. I did my research in advance, sought advice here on R2R before making a single purchase, and detailed my plans before starting my build. My tank is now thriving, and the only equipment I have replaced were my Radions because I didn’t like the side glare.

Now I’m on the board of directors at my local aquarist club, and have written the 8-part Apex programming tutorial series here on R2R.

I’d say my inexperience has blossomed into a great experience. :)

004AB5C8-499B-4928-84FD-D97621C46D23.jpeg
Absolutely, by no means did I mean to imply everyone who throws tons of money at a setup won’t be succesful. But that is where a good portion of the used premium equipment comes from

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFi - much smaller company. Seems pretty darn great though when you look at Dana Riddle’s results
I searched for them and can't even find a website. I must be doing something wrong.

EDIT: I finally found them after I told google to stop modifying my search results.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've been toying around with changing out my Kessils due to the self-shading issues. I run two 60" T5HOs, but the shading is still there. I have a PAR meter, but the thought of changing out lights concerns me greatly.

sag2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine ecotech didn’t last long enough to sell. I think the fan being on the bottom is one of the most ignorant places to put it. I have a great idea, let’s hang a light over salt water and suck air from the tank. My ended up with water damage and I went with Al’s because they seem like a quality light with the fan on top. FYI they were exactly 15” above the water.
Different apples for different animals.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We have about 300 Radion G4 Pros in our farm, we love them and they do a pretty awesome job at making SPS look amazing for us. We will usually rotate through lights especially the ones we bring to shows as they get a little more abuse than the rest of them but aside from that I think its just the sheer volume of lights sold.
Theres also lots of people that purchase 5 and end up only using 4 but their builds are like a year after purchasing the lights.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back