Why is he following?

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Copperband two months ago, and he's been doing very well in my tank eating everything from raw, frozen, to dried foods. Funny thing is; since he's been acclimated in my tank, he's been following my Margined Coralfish (Chelmon Marginalis) that has been in my tank for two years.

Does anyone know why my baby Copperband is always following my Margined Coralfish? Does he think Margined Coralfish is his older brother, father, or mother? Does he feel safe swimming with his bigger kin? Margined Coralfish doesn't care this boy. He is also very peaceful and doesn't bully anyone.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fishes! That is a fun video to watch, I can only imagine how enjoyable it is in person to watch those guys interact! :)

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like butterflyfish aggression to me. Especially the beginning where the margined corners the copper band. They often won’t touch but shove each other around and other groups in the true butterflyfish (Chelmon are bannerfish) have more elaborate combat dances, getting close but never touching. Why the copper band follows the margined even after the aggression is strange. I would keep an eye on it, hope it doesn’t escalate. Chelmon are not known to always be tolerant of congeners, but sometimes it works out.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like butterflyfish aggression to me. Especially the beginning where the margined corners the copper band. They often won’t touch but shove each other around and other groups in the true butterflyfish (Chelmon are bannerfish) have more elaborate combat dances, getting close but never touching. Why the copper band follows the margined even after the aggression is strange. I would keep an eye on it, hope it doesn’t escalate. Chelmon are not known to always be tolerant of congeners, but sometimes it works out.
Thank you for your input, but I see no noticeable aggression from the bigger one. If you saw a bit of aggression, I think it's just a coincidental move around the corner. Occasionally, when they chase the same clam, Margined Coralfish shove a bit, but not so aggressively.

Look at this video I shot more than a month ago. Copperband looks like a bit timid, but Margined Coralfish doesn't seem to care.

It's good to know Chelmon are not tolerant of congeners. I was also concerned about it, but, luckily, there seems to be no sign of tension between them. Maybe, it's because I feed a lot so that they don't fight for food or territory?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just timestamp 1:19-1:50 from the first video is obvious aggression, from the margined displaying dominance to the copperband. Some dominance displays are to be expected between any two fish with such similar niche on the reef, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it just aware and observant that it doesn't escalate to damage. They look fairly tolerant of each other while feeding, and beautiful swimming together so I hope it works out.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just timestamp 1:19-1:50 from the first video is obvious aggression, from the margined displaying dominance to the copperband. Some dominance displays are to be expected between any two fish with such similar niche on the reef, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it just aware and observant that it doesn't escalate to damage. They look fairly tolerant of each other while feeding, and beautiful swimming together so I hope it works out.
Oh, it's him! My margined coralfish occasionally shake his head. So it's just a coincidence! Perhaps, I need to treat him. :)

But, thank you! I'll keep your input and keep monitoring them!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back