Why is my anemone doing this?

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two red BTAs. I've had them both for about 6 months. They both used to open up "normally" I guess you could say, but one has been doing this for about a month(see first picture
20181005_160058.jpg
20181005_160114.jpg
). Notice one looks like it opens "normal" and the other looks bloated? I don't know how else to describe it. Is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not certain but nem seems kinda on small side for both those clowns, is the unhappy one where they hang out most in?

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not certain but nem seems kinda on small side for both those clowns, is the unhappy one where they hang out most in?

They go back and forth and sometimes they split up and hang out on different ones. Here's a picture I just took.
20181005_162601.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say w/ BTA's for me, they are so different from other nems I've kept long term.
I've had clones from same origin not only go to different areas, but even look different, so, hard to say for sure, maybe that one just feels more bugged, maybe it's on a pokier rock, it's a guess for me.

You could cover it w/ a strawberry basket to block clowns for a spell and see what that does, or screen light over that one and see reaction

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say w/ BTA's for me, they are so different from other nems I've kept long term.
I've had clones from same origin not only go to different areas, but even look different, so, hard to say for sure, maybe that one just feels more bugged, maybe it's on a pokier rock, it's a guess for me.

You could cover it w/ a strawberry basket to block clowns for a spell and see what that does, or screen light over that one and see reaction

Thanks for the advice. Also forgot to mention that the "bloated" anemone when it used to fully open is actually larger than the other one. Maybe 25% bigger.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed if any?

Also, another very random guess, bothered one is down by sand, I did once have a nem bothered by larger bristles that were going under it, they were pretty big ones though, but it did stop after I trapped the bristles.
maybe just check what you see under that rock, just to see, and it's just a thought.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@davocean

I don't target feed. It just picks up from whatever I feed my tank. I feed Rod's or a mix of other frozen food (misis, brine, cyclops, alge, etc.) I will check under the rock, I placed it on that rock when I got it and it stayed there didn't wander around like my other one did.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two red BTAs. I've had them both for about 6 months. They both used to open up "normally" I guess you could say, but one has been doing this for about a month(see first picture
20181005_160058.jpg
20181005_160114.jpg
). Notice one looks like it opens "normal" and the other looks bloated? I don't know how else to describe it. Is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

@Amoo could I have some of your expert advice on this please

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo sorry to bother you again but I've tried suggestions from fellow reefers but my nem is still not being "normal" or is what I posted normal. Thanks for your time.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@D. Torres Sorry brother, was out of town this past weekend and making preps for hurricane atm.

Can you take a FTS? I'm curious to see where they are in relation to each other.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm likely to be without power for the next few days. Follow my build thread to know when I'm back online with power. In the meantime I have 2 suggestions.

1. I dunno if you have like a chop stick or something of the sort. Basically take something and sweep around the base of the anemone on the rock just to be sure there is nothing hiding/growing there aggravating it.

2. Try directly feeding it tomorrow when you feed the tank. Blow some purposely towards it and make sure it catches some and eats it. See how it responds to this.

Poke me in my build thread after this hurricane passes and I've got power again and we'll pick it up from there. I'll probably have a million alerts when we get power back and always miss stuff like I did this.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm likely to be without power for the next few days. Follow my build thread to know when I'm back online with power. In the meantime I have 2 suggestions.

1. I dunno if you have like a chop stick or something of the sort. Basically take something and sweep around the base of the anemone on the rock just to be sure there is nothing hiding/growing there aggravating it.

2. Try directly feeding it tomorrow when you feed the tank. Blow some purposely towards it and make sure it catches some and eats it. See how it responds to this.

Poke me in my build thread after this hurricane passes and I've got power again and we'll pick it up from there. I'll probably have a million alerts when we get power back and always miss stuff like I did this.

Than you for the response. Will do what you suggested and hope you and your family are safe. Take care.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for following up. I directly fed the nem and moved it around with an acrylic stick I had to check under it and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But I did find some asterina starfish in other parts in my tank. I'm picking up a harlequin shrimp today to get rid of them. Could that be irritating the nem?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsure honestly. The typical response to any type of irritant as you're aware is more of a ball up then a sulk.

Obviously this thing is being a little more difficult then that.

What is your lighting solution and do you know your Nitrate and Phosphate levels?

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsure honestly. The typical response to any type of irritant as you're aware is more of a ball up then a sulk.

Obviously this thing is being a little more difficult then that.

What is your lighting solution and do you know your Nitrate and Phosphate levels?

I test my water weekly. I'm testing tomorrow but my last weeks parameters were:
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phospate .1

All my paramaters have been steady at those numbers for several months.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my water weekly. I'm testing tomorrow but my last weeks parameters were:
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phospate .1

All my paramaters have been steady at those numbers for several months.

What kind of lighting are you using and what's your schedule? Your params look fine to me.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting are you using and what's your schedule? Your params look fine to me.
I have two 48 inch Orbit IC Pro led strips and a 48 inch TrueLumen Pro Deepwater Blue actinic LED. All 3 are made by Current USA.

My schedule is: lights turn on at and ramp up for 1.5 hours to full brightness and run 8.5 hours then ramp down for 1.5 hours and run moonlight for 4 hours.

Hope it makes sense.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, those lights make me want to punch kittens. So many people have them and so many people have trouble with BTAs under them.

Your little guy who isn't doing well, is that rock he is on movable? If so any chance you can move him a little towards the center of the tank more?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back