Why is my clownfish hiding?

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clownfish was hiding under a live rock and i’m wondering if there’s something wrong
i turned the light off and now he’s out i just got them recently should i keep the light off for longer?

Attachments

• IMG_7436.MOV
    43.9 MB

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clownfish was hiding under a live rock and i’m wondering if there’s something wrong
i turned the light off and now he’s out i just got them recently should i keep the light off for longer?
He could be getting bullied by the other clown. This is normal. Just check him every so often for fin damage. Do you have all blue lights come on? If u do, this will enhance the bullying.

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could be getting bullied by the other clown. This is normal. Just check him every so often for fin damage. Do you have all blue lights come on? If u do, this will enhance the bullying.
no it’s just one white light

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium is very new Tristan and you have been posting emergency since last Thursday, I assume since introduction of life, you are going to get alot of mixed answers due to your mixed messages, in regards to new post, your clownfish is probably hiding due to no light, it may think it's night time since yesterday, you need to sit down and read at the most basic of owning an aquarium......
from chemistry/ balance of salinity/nitrates/nitrites/ to begin, it seems apparent from your previous post you have rushed into this and now your aquarium is suffering.

I apologize for my abrupt response but it's the life in your aquarium that will suffer.

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium is very new Tristan and you have been posting emergency since last Thursday, I assume since introduction of life, you are going to get alot of mixed answers due to your mixed messages, in regards to new post, your clownfish is probably hiding due to no light, it may think it's night time since yesterday, you need to sit down and read at the most basic of owning an aquarium......
from chemistry/ balance of salinity/nitrates/nitrites/ to begin, it seems apparent from your previous post you have rushed into this and now your aquarium is suffering.

I apologize for my abrupt response but it's the life in your aquarium that will suffer.
excuse me i have not rushed into this hobby i just get worried over little things but one thing i have done is not rushed i have waited out my cycle and my tank is ready for fish and my life is not suffering because i only got my fish yesterday and they seem fine in their new home but i know i’m new to this saltwater keeping but i highly doubt you know my life is suffering i feed them i check the water every day i make sure everything is sound and ready and i do water changes every two weeks i do my research and i look into everything before i do anything so no i am not “rushing” im taking my time and i have talked to several people and they all say my tank is cycled. and i do know the basics of keeping an aquarium i have two of them now and i’ve kept them for 1-2 months so thank you.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear :)
If you only introduced your clownfish yesterday then allow time for them to adjust to new surroundings, they will hide like any new introduction of life but will eventually start to wonder/swim and adapt to new aquarium, they are just getting used to new home

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear :)
If you only introduced your clownfish yesterday then allow time for them to adjust to new surroundings, they will hide like any new introduction of life but will eventually start to wonder/swim and adapt to new aquarium, they are just getting used to new home
ah okie im sorry if i came off rude i just wanted to say how i know what i’m doing pretty much i just need a little advice

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to light, if you can adjust, start off with small amount of light instead of none, as you mentioned lights off from yesterday

No problems, wish you best success

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light has nothing to do with your fish. When clowns are added to a tank they will start to try to dominate the others of the same species. I imagine the one hiding is the submissive one. When your lights are on, he will hide because he stands out. Blue lighting has shown to increase the bullying behavior in tanks. (You don't have blue right now). Lights off has no conclusion yet. Generally, when 2 clowns are added... At first they look like they are having fun...swimming, being together, etc. But, it doesn't take long for the process to evolve. I have an experimental pair added at the same time in a small tank. Clowns are fun.. but they should be understood. Knowing what to expect is important and would tell you if something is wrong. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. (Use the mail envelope up top. ). Send more pics of your clowns too. They are awesome.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The "emergency" tag is best used for when livestock appears to be in serious danger. An animal behaving a bit oddly isn't an emergency.

It's normal for fish to hide some the day after being added. They need some time to feel safe.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back