Why is my GSP closed

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP likes water to be a bit dirty from my experience.

Also when it takes off, it toastes your water chemistry unless you got a large tank as a buffer, hence why i realized after its grown to a critical size, it just burns itself out without moderate dosing, which is where my statement, leave it alone comes to play.

I used to love the bright super metalic GSP.
Then i realized Banana and other exotic Torches and it was Game Overs.
Now i know why once a fish goes rouge on corals, they always go after the the most EXPENSIVE stuff first.

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the picture but is there any sort of algae or dinos growing on the GSP? I had my GSP close up for two months before when dealing with dinos, it was perfectly fine and opened back up once the dino issue was fixed.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank God GIF

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also when it takes off, it toastes your water chemistry unless you got a large tank as a buffer, hence why i realized after its grown to a critical size, it just burns itself out without moderate dosing, which is where my statement, leave it alone comes to play.

Now i know why once a fish goes rouge on corals, they always go after the the most EXPENSIVE stuff first.
Think I should just leave it alone? Gonna get rid of those snails tho first

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note is there anyway to get a more clear picture of some of the larger white masses in your GSP?

These just look nothing like the vermetid snails that I deal with. Mostly for me they grow on the coral skeleton just beside the tissue and on my rock work. Whatever this is looks like some sort of spongey mass growing in between polyps rather.

For example, the top right section of connected mass in between the polyps..

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note is there anyway to get a more clear picture of some of the larger white masses in your GSP?

These just look nothing like the vermetid snails that I deal with. Mostly for me they grow on the coral skeleton just beside the tissue and on my rock work. Whatever this is looks like some sort of spongey mass growing in between polyps rather.

For example, the top right section of connected mass in between the polyps..
Once I get back home I’ll get a better picture

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_8426.jpeg

Is there a reason my GSP is closed! It’s not as open as it used to be and all my parameters are the same! I check like almost every other day and nothing is changed!
What parameters are you checking?
Did you do a water change or something else?
Is something picking on it?
Did you change light?

GSP can close for many many reasons - I would think about the above. The good news is they can keep shut for weeks. Are you using activated carbon? What else is next to them>

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OK - I'm going to disagree with everyone of your points (to a degree) - Disagree with 'dirty water' - except that dirty water can mean decreased light. (However if you look at my thread - I have a GSP which I kept (easily contained its about 2 feet long). - It survived everything - and if you look - it's at the top of the tank - at about 500 par - but if you also look at the YouTube channel - you can see the flow rate.

However, it probably does use chemicals/feeding/chemicals - but no more or less than others (and possibly less Ca/Alk than acropora)

But I might have been lucky - in that it didn't spread except this rock - then pieces would hang down - and be clipped off.

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like you have a bit of vermetidae snails.
When they feed they excete like this nasty mucus which most corals do not appreciate.

But like TX states, we need to know chemistry more, and possibly what other corals are near it.
Aren’t vermatid snails have hard tubes? These are soft

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid ≈ hard... dang hard ! Lol

So maybe sponge or a type of filter feeders.
Anyway that's bring us to just clean the gsp :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya I’ll scrub it off
am going to give you opposite advice - leave it alone - its closed because its got an angry sign from something in the water. (toxin/chemical) - just leave it - and put some carbon in. Unless something is grossly covering the GSP - then - scrub

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am going to give you opposite advice - leave it alone - its closed because its got an angry sign from something in the water. (toxin/chemical) - just leave it - and put some carbon in. Unless something is grossly covering the GSP - then - scrub
Gotcha ok it does open during the day but not all of it and not fully extended! Snails and hermit crabs try to grasp on it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back