Why is my new Midas Blenny poking his head out of the water?!

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a MB today (not the one I posted earlier, this one is very healthy and absolutely gorgeous). The owner of the LFS quarintines all his fish so I just drop acclimated the little guy and matched temp then let him roam free. Now, he is doing simething rather odd. The second he entered the DT, he swam right over to the overflow, and started poking his head out the water! My salinity matched his, temp as well. Ammonia and Nitrite 0. Nitrate is 10. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 20200828_164944.mp4
    31.2 MB
OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Fish are weird. New fish in a tank even more so. But midas are known carpet surfers. Just watch him.
Sounds good. I looked everywhere for this guy so his not dieing if I can help it haha

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I would not mess with him. Leave him alone. It'll just stress him out worse if you touch him. Or try and move him.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I would not mess with him. Leave him alone. It'll just stress him out worse if you touch him. Or try and move him.
Absolutely, although should I attempt to feed him some food? He has not gotten anything since I picked him up 3 or so hours ago

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, although should I attempt to feed him some food? He has not gotten anything since I picked him up 3 or so hours ago

Can try. But from the video he looks super stressed. I'd personally just let him chill. Then try when he settles down. But could always throw a little in

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can try. But from the video he looks super stressed. I'd personally just let him chill. Then try when he settles down. But could always throw a little in
Ok, Ill just hold off for a bit and let him be. See if anything changes. Ill thow in some frozen food later
thanks!

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming there is no issue with low oxygen, which could be one reason for coming to the surface. Looks to me he is trying to find a place to hide. How much rock do you have and do they have holes he can find a home in Also, how big is the tank and how many other fish? Color looks good so I don't think it is too stressed. I would not worry about feeding him today. Like stated before, let it settle down and try some food tomorrow. What was it eating at the LFS?

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming there is no issue with low oxygen, which could be one reason for coming to the surface. Looks to me he is trying to find a place to hide. How much rock do you have and do they have holes he can find a home in Also, how bg is the tank and how many other fish? Color looks good so I don't think it is too stressed. I would not worry about feeding him today. Like stated before, let it settle down and try some food tomorrow. What was it eating at the LFS?
The guy said he fed them mysis shrimp/brine shrimp. I made tons of little hidey holes in my rockscape with the intention that he would use them (Build thread has pics). I have my skimmer, return and mp10 running so I think O2 is good? Its a 45g, I have a Pistol Shrimp, Goby, Midas blenny, some snails and a Wrasse in the tank. Every one was introduced within the same time frame and they all reacted fine minus the blenny

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know anything about midas blennies in particular, but I like to go on snorkeling trips etc. and I usually will go walk the shore line at low tide as well. Any time I've come across a rocky area where there are little tide pools I see little blennies jumping from pool to pool.I'm not sure if they are searching for food or what, but its definitely in their nature to try jumping to the next pool for something better. I imagine a reef tank seems quite a bit like a tide pool to one of these little guys.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know anything about midas blennies in particular, but I like to go on snorkeling trips etc. and I usually will go walk the shore line at low tide as well. Any time I've come across a rocky area where there are little tide pools I see little blennies jumping from pool to pool.I'm not sure if they are searching for food or what, but its definitely in their nature to try jumping to the next pool for something better. I imagine a reef tank seems quite a bit like a tide pool to one of these little guys.
Interesting, well I hope he figures out that this tide pool is the only one within his jumping radius. I dont need fish jerky (tank is covered but still worried hes going to find a way out lol)

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a MB today (not the one I posted earlier, this one is very healthy and absolutely gorgeous). The owner of the LFS quarintines all his fish so I just drop acclimated the little guy and matched temp then let him roam free. Now, he is doing simething rather odd. The second he entered the DT, he swam right over to the overflow, and started poking his head out the water! My salinity matched his, temp as well. Ammonia and Nitrite 0. Nitrate is 10. Should I be worried?
I +1 leaving him alone and try and feed tomorrow or next feed cycle it just looks stressed. Beautiful fish tho! Good swoop!

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's doing better today. He is not poking his head anymore. He's just kinda sitting in the same corner but on the sand bed. He's hugging the wall like his life depends on it but looks good otherwise. Color is healthy, although anytime I get near him he freaks out and a blotchy pattern appears. He's like a scared puppy lol

Also fed him some frozen mysis/brine shrimp, didn't really move from his corner, just ate whatever floated by him

I feel like he will be better within the next couple of days. Also on a side note, my pistol shrimp is missing...still can't find him xD...I wonder if my goby found him cause they are both missing all the sudden.

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it sounds like it is settling and eating is good.

I view my display from the left end and my desk touches the stand.
This is as close as a fish can get to me whilst remaining in the water, this is it's corner and rubble pile perch. ;)

DSC_0006 (1024x758).jpg

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it sounds like it is settling and eating is good.

I view my display from the left end and my desk touches the stand.
This is as close as a fish can get to me whilst remaining in the water, this is it's corner and rubble pile perch. ;)

DSC_0006 (1024x758).jpg
What a cute little guy. I love the blue eyes they have! Its so unique. Ill see if I can get a picture of mine within the next couple of days if he looks like he is settling in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back