Why is my tank overheating??

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a member of a local club? I’m sure the members have a dozen boxes of old fish tank crap in their basement that you could borrow until you get a new one.

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking 116 gallon tank plus sump won’t cool down that much overnight. But on the safe side, he could raise the temperature on his air-conditioning a little higher
I went ahead and moved the heater just in case. I think everything is stable enough for me to go to bed for the night. I've still got my small return pump working so that is getting some flow from the sump, obviously not enough but it's better than nothing. The Vortech is providing enough surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated, and the heater is now in the display in case the temp drops below 78 during the night.

You guys seriously just saved my tank. Had I not posted I would have just continued to let my tank cook. Who knows by morning all of my livestock could have been gone.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and moved the heater just in case. I think everything is stable enough for me to go to bed for the night. I've still got my small return pump working so that is getting some flow from the sump, obviously not enough but it's better than nothing. The Vortech is providing enough surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated, and the heater is now in the display in case the temp drops below 78 during the night.

You guys seriously just saved my tank. Had I not posted I would have just continued to let my tank cook. Who knows by morning all of my livestock could have been gone.
glad you found it! My bet is that most everything will be ok.

Last edited:

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a thought. If you have a lightweight blanket that you could throw over your tank might not be a bad idea. But I would not do it now set your alarm clock for 3 AM. That way you can see how much the temperature dropped in 2 hours. Your local fish store probably opens at 10 am, so you can deduce what the temp drop would be by 11 AM, when you return home

If you see a significant drop, which I don’t think you will, put a blanket over your tank. It’s either that or heat the house up which I know you don’t want to do

Put a couple heads together, you never know what might materialize

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can trade a member of your local club a spare inkbird for a used pump to get you through to the brs delivery

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope chrisv gets what he wants at his LFS. To go to on of the Qi at las online warehouses, takes 3,4, sometimes 5 days.

As he probably went to sleep already, exhausted, chrisv could check with chewie.com. I buy all my salt there. There, most things are one day deliveries, when you call early in the day. I just checked and they do have larger pumps, sizes he would need

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the temperature is back to normal. However, it looks like I've suffered a few casualties. So far my 2 small Acro frags, my Monti frag, and my Leptoseris frag have all died. It looks like my Lobo is dying as well. My hammers and other Euphillia seem to be okay but only time will tell honestly. My sand sifting starfish and my brittle star both look like they're about to die and it looks like my sea urchin has died as well.

All of my fish are still fine as of now so I guess it could have been much worse, and the Holy Grail torch is still fine so that's good. Everything that died can be easily replaced. Granted, it may take a few months, but it can be replaced. I ordered a new Maxspect Jump return pump today and it should be here in a few days. Thanks again to all that helped!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worth it to run some activated carbon if you have some on hand. Take care of any pollution from the coral soup. If not it doesn't sound like a ton of things died and it's a pretty big tank. Maybe do an ammonia and nitrate test and decide if you need to do a WC.

Back