Why Spend hundreds to Thousands on a Sump

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is assuming you are bashing anyone else. Just some outspoken members that's all lol As you can see in your thread everyone is of the same mind that at the end of the day it's just a box of water we use to hide stuff in, maybe grow stuff. Functionality is all that really matters, but, who says functional can't be fun too....

20200321_140035.jpg

:p
Sorry to derail but how are you liking your instant pot? I see it in the picture. I got one last month and have used it prob 15 times. 5 of those times where for this crispy pork carnita recipe I found on line than adjusted cause I cant leave well enough alone. They are kinda expensive but I love mine and way better than my old school pressure cooker that I thought would kill me every time I used it.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went DIY. Acrylic is expensive so I decided to see if I could pull off a DIY for the fraction of the cost. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

I do love the big tub sumps. When I see them posted, I assume the owner is really in tune with the intricate biology of a reef.

I have nothing against big custom acrylic sumps. I just enjoy the challenge of trying to do this hobby on the cheap (relatively speaking) and DIY is part of it.

IMG_2186.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a local acrylic tank fabricator build me a sump about 14 years ago.
I told him it was going to be very plain and with minimum features. Only what I didn't want to do myself.
Once the basic box was built with the main baffles where I wanted, everything else was easy.
At the time I thought the $300 he charged me was a little high, but I got exactly the size and shape I wanted.
And for what it's worth, 14 years later ( 3 tanks) and it's still working for me.
Go custom, but don't fall for every new flashy add on.

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dealing with other sumps in the past and now my WaterBox sump I was.... to say the least frustrated. After looking for a sump I liked, most pre-fab would need modification or require customization. Custom means $$$$. I have decided to back to a wide open plastic sump for my new build, just like the tank had before for 20 bucks. The sump will start with an Aquamax Filter Roller, Great White skimmer a bucket fuge, thanks for the idea Coral Euphoria, in the past I used Tupperware type containers. Some of the water flow will be diverted through/directed by ceramic media blocks and back to tank via 2 Jebao DCP 3000's. One will drive a manifold and serve pretty much as back up. So, I guess my point is saving 4 to 600 dollars on a sump funds the rest of the gear.

What are your thoughts?
I bought my first prefab sump a couple of months ago...I can see why I wanted to build my own. These sumps are ok an help fill the gap when you cannot be bothered to make your own. I am a bit of a unicorn with experience as a jet engine, heavy equipment mechanic, and CompTIA certified IT professional, so sometimes I really cannot be bothered to break out the fabrication tools and start making something.

I buy the materials and stash it away unit I got to scratch that itch to make something. Yup sometimes I pay cash because I am lazy.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to derail but how are you liking your instant pot? I see it in the picture. I got one last month and have used it prob 15 times. 5 of those times where for this crispy pork carnita recipe I found on line than adjusted cause I cant leave well enough alone. They are kinda expensive but I love mine and way better than my old school pressure cooker that I thought would kill me every time I used it.

Honestly only used it about 10 times, my wife was the one who really wanted it, shes made a few chicken recipes with it and they turned out awesome. Got it on sale for 45% off before Christmas so it wasn't a huge hit to the wallet thankfully now it's BBQ season and we cook mainly on the BBQ all spring/summer/fall. But will probably pull it out every now and then. Really liking the sounds of that crispy pork carnita you're talking about though....;Drool;Drool

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is assuming you are bashing anyone else. Just some outspoken members that's all lol As you can see in your thread everyone is of the same mind that at the end of the day it's just a box of water we use to hide stuff in, maybe grow stuff. Functionality is all that really matters, but, who says functional can't be fun too....

20200321_140035.jpg

:p

You should be ashamed for spending thousands on that ;Joyful

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ashamed for spending thousands on that ;Joyful

For real, you could have saved so much money using a trashcan or old bathtub! Josh better never get banned from here with that fancy logo on there :D. Did @Elder1945 build that sump?

Edit to add, there are some excellent pork chop instant pot recipes out there ;Drool

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dealing with other sumps in the past and now my WaterBox sump I was.... to say the least frustrated. After looking for a sump I liked, most pre-fab would need modification or require customization. Custom means $$$$. I have decided to back to a wide open plastic sump for my new build, just like the tank had before for 20 bucks. The sump will start with an Aquamax Filter Roller, Great White skimmer a bucket fuge, thanks for the idea Coral Euphoria, in the past I used Tupperware type containers. Some of the water flow will be diverted through/directed by ceramic media blocks and back to tank via 2 Jebao DCP 3000's. One will drive a manifold and serve pretty much as back up. So, I guess my point is saving 4 to 600 dollars on a sump funds the rest of the gear.

What are your thoughts?
Do whatever works for you... Just got myself a trigger systems cr44 and a nyos skimmer. I paid double what you did. But I'm not ashamed of it at all... lol

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real, you could have saved so much money using a trashcan or old bathtub! You better never get banned from here with that fancy logo on there :D. Did @Elder1945 build that for you?

I could. But there hideous and I wouldn't be able to stand looking at them let alone working on one. One could make the same argument to those that spend thousands more on there Displays from Reef Savvy, Tank Me USA and so forth when you can get a super cheap one from glass Cages or stock ones from Aqueon/Marineland and modify them. And lol It wouldn't bother me if I did, I'm sure I've been close a few times...

Oh and yes, it was built by @Elder1945

Last edited:

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striking resemblance to relationships with cars!
Classic Factory - Manufactured Sump
Clsc Street Rod- Manuf w/ little custom mod
Hot Rod- Fully Custom “Over the Top” Sump
Rat Rods- DIY but “fully custom in reality”
*And the average person who thinks “why the heck do you waste that much money on a car/fish tank?!”

Answer:
Makes me happy when I look at it.

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I'm working on my new build and was planning on building my own sump, I have it all drawn out had the cut list all done even gone as far as checking a few sites to get the price for plexy, but now that every business out there is needing sneeze guards plexiglass has doubled in price. I couldn't justify spending $500 (was $220 including shipping 4 months ago) on Plexi to build a sump I can buy for $600 that is pretty close to my design. So I just pulled the trigger and ordered one.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should note that my Trigger Platinum 26 was delivered yesterday and if I could have any car of choice- 69 SS Camaro

Tried the add-on filter roller with my current sump and liked it but things got congested in the cabinet so I bought one that was already made into it.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my new build and was planning on building my own sump, I have it all drawn out had the cut list all done even gone as far as checking a few sites to get the price for plexy, but now that every business out there is needing sneeze guards plexiglass has doubled in price. I couldn't justify spending $500 (was $220 including shipping 4 months ago) on Plexi to build a sump I can buy for $600 that is pretty close to my design. So I just pulled the trigger and ordered one.
Whatever works for you...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really need to be any more complicated than a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank? This is the best sump I have had so far. I couldn't even imagine what a commercial sump in anything remotely close to this size would cost.
IMG_5942[1].JPG

I could probably ball park it :p ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Mickeyt1reef

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striking resemblance to relationships with cars!
Classic Factory - Manufactured Sump
Clsc Street Rod- Manuf w/ little custom mod
Hot Rod- Fully Custom “Over the Top” Sump
Rat Rods- DIY but “fully custom in reality”
*And the average person who thinks “why the heck do you waste that much money on a car/fish tank?!”

Answer:
Makes me happy when I look at it.
great analogy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back