Why the VarioS DC powered pumps are the bee's knees! | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

Today we showcase the super popular Reef Octopus VarioS pumps. Whether you already have one or were looking to add one down the road, we've got something for you in today's Spotlight!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are really great pumps! I know from experience with my skimmer.

njohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for another informative video.

I am considering setting up a RSR250 with this pump. What size pump would you recommend?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am considering setting up a RSR250 with this pump. What size pump would you recommend?

The Reefer 250 is about 54-gallons, so based on the recommendations for sizing a VarioS from this video, a VarioS-2 should do the trick. :)

njohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefer 250 is about 54-gallons, so based on the recommendations for sizing a VarioS from this video, a VarioS-2 should do the trick. :)
Awesome! That's what I have spec'd out. Thanks for the support.

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a varios 2 pump on my 40 breeder and couldn’t be happier. Dc pumps are just incredible pumps and the fact that they come with their own controllers is a definite plus for people like me who do not have a reef controller

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking that Reef Octopus has solved the reliability issue inherent with DC pumps placed under constant head pressure?

DJ

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently. I have one running a skimmer, one on a return and another on a manifold. The last one is for a water change station so it doesn’t count.

Super happy so far.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I started my Reefer 250 I had the varios6 and ran it at minimum 50%. Added a manifold and ran the pump 70-75% probably.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my VarioS- 6! I'm running it on 4th speed, so 80% on a sumped 60g cube in my dedicated seahorse tank. This thing is a beast! My favorite feature is the feed mode. That comes in handy when feeding 2-3 times per day. Having the controller is a big bonus too. It is also very quiet in comparision to other pumps I've used. I only had one minor issue when I first got it after about 1 month two of the lights on the controller went out. I called the retailer and they replaced it no questions asked.
I could have used a smaller size but bought the 6 incase I ever upgrade to a bigger tank. IMO, it has a relatively small footprint too for the power it puts out. It plumbed in nicely.
received_216097929196005.jpeg

John t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a varios 8 running my 90 gallon and have a 20 gallon frag tank attached to it. The pump is also controlled with my Apex. Got to love a pump that is quiet, powerful, and apex ready!

njohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a VarioS-2 on a reefer 170 at 65% via apex on a 250 you’ll probably be running the pump close to 100% so I would highly consider sizing up to the 4. Happy reefing
It sounds like the VarioS-2 is "right sized" and if I want the extra room I should get the 4. I appreciate the feedback.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 for my 165 gallon, and a 6 that I swap-in when I service the 8. They've both performed flawlessly. I haven't connected it to my Apex yet except for power (but I do have the cable). Frankly, I've been considering the new Apex Cor-20 just for the ability to monitor its health, and make stuff happen if it fails (e.g. alert me and turn-on additional power heads).

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 has been running strong and silent for two years with minimal cleaning on my 25g. I don't know why these don't get more mentions in the "what pump" threads. The small footprint is money if you run a small tank and sump like me and the price can't be beat.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I finally picked one up used from another forum member last year. Best decision I ever made. I have it running a manifold on my 40 and it's not only dead silent, it doesn't seem to lose too much head pressure, and I don't have to deep clean it every month to keep it running.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a varios4 on my 90 and loved it. I've got a jebao on my current 200g but once that goes I'll be deciding between the varios 8 or cor 20.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Reef Octopus VarioS2 that runs my REGAL Protein skimmer and a Reef Octo VarioS4 that runs my saltwater mixing station.. These pumps run awesome, I have a EcoTech Marine that has been in the shop 3 times in one year.
For my return, I am going with the VarioS8 instead of a EcoTech L1....Also, excited to see there new wave maker PowerHeads coming out very soon. I think Reef Octo is putting them selves in a different league when it comes to there outstanding well built DC controllable pumps. Here is a quick shot of my mixing station that runs a VarioS4

Mixing station.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back