OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad it's not the aquarium leaking, I would be throwing a tantrum. Hopefully that solvent does the trick.
Thanks. Yes that would have been the icing on the cake.
I spoke with the sump builder and he directed me as to what to do. He even offered to come over and do it for me.
I ran the bead and let it sit over night.
So far so good. Tank goes up tomorrow!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
I keep pacing back and forth in front of it like something is about to happen
It’s not my first build but I’m really excited about it
Trying to do the best we can with this one and not rush too much and end up making careless mistakes

Right now thinking about my plumbing,
And insuring everything is level.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bags of Matrix in the sump of my existing tank and debating the use of bricks vs a refugium
Any ideas would be appreciated
1A3C2EEE-B95C-4424-8B20-978D7C91B54E.jpeg

Attachments

• 297144CD-E50E-4C54-A45F-74D4101CA196.jpeg
    297144CD-E50E-4C54-A45F-74D4101CA196.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 24

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always just used a fuge. Great for bugs and algae to grow and feed everyone. I would utilize everything you can if you're going to heavy stock.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL
I keep pacing back and forth in front of it like something is about to happen
It’s not my first build but I’m really excited about it
Trying to do the best we can with this one and not rush too much and end up making careless mistakes

Right now thinking about my plumbing,
And insuring everything is level.
image.jpg
Omg, when I first set up our plumbing the the tank, I put the washers on the bottom of the sump. Filled up the aquarium. I knew i screwed up somewhere I wasn't sure where. And as soon as water went into the overflow. OMG. everything came lose water was all over the place, thankfully less than a gallon. But, my first run with an overflow that wasn't a hob. The jokes made that day... omg

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bags of Matrix in the sump of my existing tank and debating the use of bricks vs a refugium
Any ideas would be appreciated
1A3C2EEE-B95C-4424-8B20-978D7C91B54E.jpeg
The two serve somewhat different in purposes. With biomedia you are adding additional capacity to convert ammonia into nitrate. However, you have to perform water changes to remove the generated nitrates. With a refugium, the macro algae actually consumes your ammonia and nitrates and allows you to export the consumed nutrients by throwing out a portion of the algae periodically.

Unless you expect to seriously overload your tank, you should be fine with a fuge. The down side is that setting up and maintaining one can be a bit complicated. If you don’t get the fuge lighting and size right the fuge may have no effect or may suck your tank dry if nutrients.

Of course you can add both - a little of that matrix goes a long way.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Fuge on my Proclear with chaeto. My phosphates are at 0.04 and nitrates at about 10 ppm last I checked which was over the weekend. In addition I run carbon and stopped the GFO a couple months ago because I found it was stripping the tank of all phosphate. I was getting 0 reading with Salifert and my Hanna checker. As it stands the main tank seems to be okay. Uglies have subsided and acros are growing as is just about everything else. I'm thinking that the blocks or the Matrix would reduce my need for water change?

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mibu, you made me laugh out loud. I know what excitement and eagerness can do. As it stands the crew will all be here tomorrow around lunch and I'm supposed to "supervise". The stand is in place. I've been searching through my boxes of junk, err 'Supplies' for stuff I can use. So I've made a mess and still have to order odds and ends. I'm gonna go step by step here and pick you and everyone else's brain here. I want to do this right. I swear I'm watching more Youtube and Reef2Reef than ever. The worst part is I'm doing both at the same time so retention is out the window. Not good....

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice!!! looks like there's a lot of water in that room.
There are two 40 gallon quarantine tanks and a Prostar 200. My sps are starting to encroach on each other.
My girls kept hearing me complain about why I had so many little frags and how they are now competing for space so they bought me the new tank.
I think I’ll start complaining about my car
LOL

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are two 40 gallon quarantine tanks and a Prostar 200. My sps are starting to encroach on each other.
My girls kept hearing me complain about why I had so many little frags and how they are now competing for space so they bought me the new tank.
I think I’ll start complaining about my car
LOL
That setup just about costs as much as a decent car. Wouldn't hurt to try :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know, I need to slow down. It's addicting
I walk into the lfs, I want to buy everything in the coral tank. It's not much. Springfield is a small city and everyone here is a cheapo. I hate ordering online because of shipping prices. Only thing that stops me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back