Wild collected red mangrove propagules

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been tankless for the last 3 months while we moved our family of 7 from San Antonio Texas to SW Florida area. There are Red Mangrove Propagules everywhere in this area. I found out that it’s legal to collect them as long as they aren’t rooted and growing along the coast. So... I’ve been doing just that. :)

Pretty simple to grow them out. I’m just using ocean water, an air pump with rigid airline and top off with spring water every couple of days.

After a couple of weeks they are rooting and all have leaves. I can’t wait to get into a home to start some tank builds with these awesome little trees. I’m planning to do both a planted fresh tank and mixed reef. So half of them will be acclimated to freshwater.

Turning into little trees
2FED8DDA-2617-417F-8D24-CF4D232ECDDA.jpeg

281C71D7-82C5-4A8C-BD6A-CB88D75D5E56.jpeg

EC5B100B-0934-4A58-85D3-F9ECFB8AA78D.jpeg

#reefstache

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of them you see on Miami Beach it’s crazy.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s May and it’s been 10 months tankless now! We finally purchased a home, tank is in and soon I’ll be up and going again.

The bucket of mangroves have travelled with us from FL to TX then back to FL and allover the place in vacation rentals over the last 10 months. I completely feel like they are my babies. :)

Here’s the last vid I took of them while we were still floating around in vacation rentals. I’m due for another update soon because they are larger now. Enjoy…

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s May and it’s been 10 months tankless now! We finally purchased a home, tank is in and soon I’ll be up and going again.

The bucket of mangroves have travelled with us from FL to TX then back to FL and allover the place in vacation rentals over the last 10 months. I completely feel like they are my babies. :)

Here’s the last vid I took of them while we were still floating around in vacation rentals. I’m due for another update soon because they are larger now. Enjoy…

Are you going to put those in a the Cade 1800?

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a few weeks? Mine take way longer. I've also found that mine rot in straight water, I have to have them planted in some kind of substrate.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow a few weeks? Mine take way longer. I've also found that mine rot in straight water, I have to have them planted in some kind of substrate.
I've had them in a bucket for 10 months now...just using an air pump, airline tubing and rigid airline in the middle of the roots. Did you see the vid I posted last night of them?

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in a bucket for 10 months now...just using an air pump, airline tubing and rigid airline in the middle of the roots. Did you see the vid I posted last night of them?
Videos are being weird, but I'm gonna keep trying. Here's my oldest one, almost a year old. I've got young ones going at work too lol

Attachments

• 20210525_132242.jpg
    20210525_132242.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210523_110327.jpg
    20210523_110327.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Videos are being weird, but I'm gonna keep trying. Here's my oldest one, almost a year old. I've got young ones going at work too lol
Those look great! I can't wait to give mince some space and get them under a light. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous transitioning them from natural daylight to LEDs. Will probably take it very slow.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look great! I can't wait to give mince some space and get them under a light. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous transitioning them from natural daylight to LEDs. Will probably take it very slow.
I've found mine have done way better under incandescent/ fluorescent bulbs. That one I literally had the bulb almost touching the top of the plant lol

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida, too. I transistioned mine from outdoor freshwater to indoor saltwater, lit by LED's. I slowly acclimated them to saltwater. The intensity of light in Florida doesn't even come close to what an LED can put out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back