Wildlife near you :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these cormorants attacked me underwater when I was SCUBA diving. Scared the sea cucumbers out of me. I think it was the one on the chimney with the shifty eyes.
This is Exectution Lighthouse commissioned by George Washington. He wasn't there that day

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these cormorants attacked me underwater when I was SCUBA diving. Scared the sea cucumbers out of me. I think it was the one on the chimney with the shifty eyes.
This is Exectution Lighthouse commissioned by George Washington. He wasn't there that day
That's crazy! I love cormorants but they are shifty little birds. Some dive 45 meters deep! To bad you missed George maybe he will be there next time!

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some common and not so common things recently.
Western fence lizard. Super common but quick so sometimes hard to catch.
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG
I also found a baby Salamander which is rare in my parts. He was extremely squirmy so it was hard to get a good picture.
IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1178.JPG

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. Hopefully more people join in lol.
Had a rare encounter the other day. I was able to catch a costal horned lizard! These guys are on the watch list so it's pretty special to even see one let alone be able to hold it.
4d4a0250e20a57b466322fc3a256fd5f.jpg
0b310e07a368acb9e421ba338639bbaf.jpg
5e6cce945da6c25cea68b448727d0567.jpg

Delta1389

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently spotted this unidentified lizard. Anyone have a guess?
IMG_5903.jpg

We also noticed this which looked like some animal we thought possible small dog but hard to tell no hair.
IMG_6298.JPG

Then we saw this sunning itself just across canal.. ah makes sense he is letting it soften up

IMG_6314.JPG

It's some species of iguana

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around my way we get kangaroos just chilling out in our front yards. Funnel web spiders in our bathrooms. Scorpions in the living room. I swear some Australian houses have more animals than zoos do! One time I came home to 1.5m goanna in the house. People in my area have reported brown snakes in their houses so many times that it's fairly common for some people to get home and find a deadly animal just sitting back by the fire with a whiskey [emoji23]
I get wombats, fruit bats, stonefish, giant green morays (my personal favourite of course :p), red belly black snakes, kookaburras, bull sharks, possums and all sorts of cool and deadly animals all within a few kilometres of my house.
I know Aussies are known to exaggerate this sort of thing up to mess with the rest of the world, but it's all definitely true! Except maybe the drunk snake part... [emoji216]

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around my way we get kangaroos just chilling out in our front yards. Funnel web spiders in our bathrooms. Scorpions in the living room. I swear some Australian houses have more animals than zoos do! One time I came home to 1.5m goanna in the house. People in my area have reported brown snakes in their houses so many times that it's fairly common for some people to get home and find a deadly animal just sitting back by the fire with a whiskey [emoji23]
I get wombats, fruit bats, stonefish, giant green morays (my personal favourite of course :p), red belly black snakes, kookaburras, bull sharks, possums and all sorts of cool and deadly animals all within a few kilometres of my house.
I know Aussies are known to exaggerate this sort of thing up to mess with the rest of the world, but it's all definitely true! Except maybe the drunk snake part... [emoji216]

Nice! From the time I lived in Aus I don't doubt it. I loved the biodiversity. Get some pictures!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! From the time I lived in Aus I don't doubt it. I loved the biodiversity. Get some pictures!

Nice! Where in Australia did you live?
That was before I moved house. I moved 10km away and don't see much wildlife now that I'm in the middle town except the occasional cat haha.
I'll take a walk sometime soon and see what I see along the way!

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Where in Australia did you live?
That was before I moved house. I moved 10km away and don't see much wildlife now that I'm in the middle town except the occasional cat haha.
I'll take a walk sometime soon and see what I see along the way!

I studied at Griffith University and lived in Surfers paradise so haha not a ton of nature besides these awesome lorikeets and those tall ugly trash egrets. But I traveled around a ton of NSW and QLD. Saw some amazing stuff and Curumbin and Steve Irwin zoo were epic. Did a lot of "hiking" in Nimbin too. Got to do a boat trip though the GBR and saw things that were unbelievable.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look through my laptop for some photos of some of the animals I've seen around, but in the meantime, this is what I get to see every day on my walk to work :)
b0473ffe9da531d890d7f91686f01464.jpg

I studied at Griffith University and lived in Surfers paradise so haha not a ton of nature besides these awesome lorikeets and those tall ugly trash egrets. But I traveled around a ton of NSW and QLD. Saw some amazing stuff and Curumbin and Steve Irwin zoo were epic. Did a lot of "hiking" in Nimbin too. Got to do a boat trip though the GBR and saw things that were unbelievable.

Oh nice! I'm down on the sapphire coast. I'll be moving to surfers next year if I ever get the courage to move that far away all on my own [emoji23]
Hahaha I bet "hiking" in nimbin would have been...an experience to remember. I've always wanted to visit Nimbin, not just the reputation, but it seems like such a grounded and down to earth place.

Goslugsgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bald eagle flew low over our house this morning. They fish the lake behind our house which is a treat to watch.
This evening I noticed the nesting geese finally had their hatch, so I may see that eagle more frequently!

We also saw a moose up Boulder Canyon yesterday, right by a moose crossing sign. Nice to see them using caution around a busy street.

Slickwill613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't photographed any, but here in San Jose we have the stray cat (losticus catticus), sometimes a possum (gigantia ratticus) comes from behind the fence, and on occasion there's a late night bum (sans residencius) strolling down the sidewalk.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't photographed any, but here in San Jose we have the stray cat (losticus catticus), sometimes a possum (gigantia ratticus) comes from behind the fence, and on occasion there's a late night bum (sans residencius) strolling down the sidewalk.

Actually made me laugh a little. Totally relatable. We have a house in Cali that used to be in the ghetto (there are bars on all the windows and it was across from a crack/brothel house) 15 years ago and my dad would get in his car to go to work in the morning to find homeless people sleeping in it. LOL. I'm not sure about how to post video, sorry.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back