Will 0.5F temperature fluctuation every Hour will effect coral?

kasaavinash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.01.23 PM.png

In my 65G Reef tank recently added UV Sterilizer which has increased temp by a degree. Also, 2 return pumps, a Reactor pump, UV pump, and Skimmer also are contributing to the heat in the tank.

I was maintaining my tank temperatures at 77-78F before adding a UV Sterilizer. To cool down the tank I have added a fan that will turn on at 78.2 and turn off at 77.7 which has resulted in frequent Temperature fluctuation as shown in the apex report.

Can experts please help in giving more information if that frequent degree fluctuations will show any impact on the corals? Also, Along with the temperature swings Apex also detects Salinity swings as in the Apex screenshot. Any additional inputs to make it correct will be great, Thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are ok at those temperatures. I'm pretty certain the ocean temperatures on a reef can swing many degrees over the course of a day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make a couple of observations and some questions.

Where are you measuring pH in relation to the UV and to the salinity probe?

Clearly, there is an inaccurate temperature conversion of the salinity going on, since it is rapidly cycling with temperature. Perhaps the temp probe and conductivity probe are in different places relative to the heat inputs?

I'm surprised you could get 65 gallons to heat up and cool down so fast. Might the temp changes be amplified by measuring in a sump or elsewhere that is fluctuating a lot more than the main tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back