Will a Bluethroat Trigger munch on Azure Damsels?

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of blue throat triggers and they were not aggressive in any way I got them because they are one of the triggers that are very placid and all show here's a pic

image.jpeg

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be OK when I had the pair of triggers I also had a couple of chromis and azure are a lot more robust than chromis

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My Bluethroat does laps around a MP40 for hours on end....He is the first one to dinner.

He barely interacts with any of the other many fish in the tank. I have a couple of really small fish and he couldn't be bothered with them. All of the Bluethroats I've had have been pretty "dopey". I wouldn't worry too much but you can never be certain.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all, I already have a pair of Blue Throats but want to add some Azure Damsels which came in pretty tiny (currently in QT). Was curious if the Blue Throats would try to snack on them because the Azures are so tiny.

That kind of puts things at odds, careful size considerations must always be taken. If the bluethroats do damage to the damsels, the size difference would be the reason, as it would be normally be out of character for them.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have gotten an abnormal Blue Throat. He cornered one of my flasher wrasses in the corner of the tank and took several large chunks out of him before I could get a net and get him out. Unfortunately the flasher was dead. When he started chasing another fish in the tank, I trapped him and rehomed him.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have gotten an abnormal Blue Throat. He cornered one of my flasher wrasses in the corner of the tank and took several large chunks out of him before I could get a net and get him out. Unfortunately the flasher was dead. When he started chasing another fish in the tank, I trapped him and rehomed him.

How large was he at purchase size, larger mature specimens right from the ocean will always be much more aggressive. For younger hobbyist everything you read here is jsut one example, as much as we try, nothing is absolute. But overall, bluethroats are rather docile.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large was he at purchase size, larger mature specimens right from the ocean will always be much more aggressive. For younger hobbyist everything you read here is jsut one example, as much as we try, nothing is absolute. But overall, bluethroats are rather docile.

Yes, he was pretty large...probably 3.5" or so. Great point...fish are individuals and they don't always follow the "norm" for their species.

I have an exquisite wrasse in my tank with a flame wrasse, lineatus wrasse, rose banded wrasse and a Labout's wrasse. The book says he should be subordinate to all four of those but he is the top dog in the fairy wrasse pecking order in my tank. I may very well try another blue throat after I get my final two flasher wrasses in the tank. I agree mine was probably at the perimeter of the bell curve!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have have a clown,Assasi Sargassum and blue line and the dont mess with any fish in my tank, many of which are small fish, you will be fine. Just keep them well fed, just dont starve them for days or weeks on end.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back